VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-16-2018, 05:42 PM

If you are going to buy a tap and die set, and use it for other purposes than tapping aluminum for an RV, buy a good set. HSS (high speed steel), USA, etc....
The first time you snap off a cheap Chinese made Harbor Freight or other brand in a part, whatever you saved just flew out the window.
If you use a tap often, you will side load one and accidently break it off. The better brands, like Irwin, are just tougher and less likely to snap, especially the small sizes.
ACE Hardware sells individual Irwin(Hanson) taps and dies if you don’t need/want to buy a full set.
The small general tap and die set from Irwin will cost you about $125 in SAE or Metric.
Also, you can occasionaly find used manual tapping machines on CL. These are good for repetitive hole tapping on flat stock. I picked up a quality US Made one for $50, a $250 plus machine.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.

Last edited by JonJay : 05-16-2018 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:21 PM

Only times (that I remember) using a die was on the SS baffle tie rods I used under the cylinders instead of wire. Even with a HSS quality die had to take it real easy on the SS with lots of back & forth. Also used a #6 tap on a hole into the gear tower lower weldment for the forward attach screws on the upper gear leg intersection fairings. It wasn’t practical to use a nut plate here (more holes and a pain to buck) and another nut in the gear tower would have made me even more nuts.
RV-8 IO375, Hartzell CS, dual PMags.
Dues paid thru Dec 22, 2018
Old 05-16-2018, 08:01 PM

You are going to like those Wiha screwdrivers. Quality makes a big difference.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv7charlie View Post

For a completely stock build, you probably don't really need a set.
I would argue completely the opposite. On my stock RV-7 slider I have so far used 6-32, 8-32, 10-32 and 1/4-28 taps, all as specified on the plans. However if you deviate from stock there are ways around most of those.

To the OP, be aware however that I initially bought a cheap HF set but found it included none of the sizes needed! When I checked at sears I also couldn't find a set that had all the sizes, so you'll need to check that carefully.

And if you need an excuse to buy tools don't forget that each tap needs a number size drill bit for the hole, so you might as well go ahead and get a full set of 1-60 number size bits, another buy I have never regretted. Almost every month these days I also wish I'd got the letter size set.
Paid 2017
Old 05-17-2018, 08:05 AM

Default Plans call for several taps and at least one die.

In my slow build -10, I can remember being required to tap threads in the T section extrusion for the tie-down points in both wings and tail, as well as #6 threads in the longerons near the tail to secure the empennage fairing. The FWF section called for cutting threads in the baffle tie rods, although I found those next to impossible to thread properly and ended up buying pre-threaded rod for that part.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:14 AM

Since I have a PDF preview plans, I searched for "tap" in it and ran across the list of ones you will need in the tools section and a number of spots where they get used. I'm surprised by the number of times I don't think to do that first.

That list is:
1 x 1/4-28 Tap
1 x 5/16-24 Tap
1 x 3/8-16 Tap
1 x 3/8-24 Tap
1 x 4-40 Tap
2 x 6-32 Tap
1 x 8-32 Tap
1 x 10-24 Tap

I'm not sure why you would need 2 x 6-32 Taps. Also, I didn't see all of these called out in the manual - some places say "tap this, see drawing X" kinda thing. Maybe they are in the drawings.

Anyhow, once again, I appreciate all the feedback here. And the "permission".
VAF dues paid monthly
ty.connell@gmail.com
N997TL reserved
RV-9(A?) empennage in progress
Old 05-17-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-EDD View Post
I would argue completely the opposite. On my stock RV-7 slider I have so far used 6-32, 8-32, 10-32 and 1/4-28 taps, all as specified on the plans. However if you deviate from stock there are ways around most of those.

To the OP, be aware however that I initially bought a cheap HF set but found it included none of the sizes needed! When I checked at sears I also couldn't find a set that had all the sizes, so you'll need to check that carefully.

And if you need an excuse to buy tools don't forget that each tap needs a number size drill bit for the hole, so you might as well go ahead and get a full set of 1-60 number size bits, another buy I have never regretted. Almost every month these days I also wish I'd got the letter size set.
Boy, Ed; how far do you need to go, to make yourself feel significant? ;-)

I suppose that a list of 4 taps (and no dies) could be considered a 'set', if you're using the strict mathematical definition. And I suppose that if you extract one sentence, out of context, from a multi-paragraph post, you can make yourself look like a higher authority.

To help you out, here's a HF set that is pretty cheap, and includes the sizes you list. Most vendors include a list of what's included, if you read before you purchase.
https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-t...set-63016.html

Charlie
Old 05-17-2018, 10:44 AM

Default Irwin

I just bought singles as required. I might own five or six.
Ace
Irwin brand.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/01/2017. Plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (1,800+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirejock View Post
I just bought singles as required. I might own five or six.
Ace
Irwin brand.
About $5 each and you have a quality tool that will last and shouldn’t break.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Old 05-17-2018, 04:34 PM

Default Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJay View Post
About $5 each and you have a quality tool that will last and shouldn’t break.
Less. I get a senior discount!
Actually, living in a tiny hamlet (population 6,000), my only aviation supply store is Ace. I go in so often, they take really good care of me.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/01/2017. Plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (1,800+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.