- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2018, 01:22 PM

Default Chapel Hill Airport impending closure

The latest word from IGX is that UNC Chapel HIll is set to close the airport on May 15. Recently the state legislature has been directing the Airport to be kept operating while the University has been simultaneously choking it financially over the years (no new based aircraft allowed, air medical services moved off site, etc). The last University Board of Trustees resolution used an argument that there were no University missions being conducted, and does not produce revenue; therefore closure plans could go forward unobstructed (irony noted). The state legislature convenes on May 16th, which is not insignificant with regard to the selected closing date.

The airport has a long standing historical significance to the local area and the nation. It was a WWII training facility and has a significance as the home of the Wheeler Air Service, the first African-American owned air carrier.

Airport staff have indicated that AOPA hasn’t been helpful or successful in this Airport advocacy issue. 

The mechanism to save the airport may be to get the Airport on the national / NC register of historic places...

Thoughts or ideas? NC residents please call your state representatives.

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2018/03/a ... s.html?m=1

A link to the petition:
https://www.change.org/p/save-horace-williams-airport

The availability of this airport in close proximity to the hospital got me to see my little one be born when my wife went into labor. I owe the Airport some effort. Thanks Horace Williams.

I’ll be on the phone with my representatives Monday AM.

https://twitter.com/bradpodd/status/...671299076?s=21

#savehorace

Thanks 

Brad

Last edited by Bradp : 05-12-2018 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 01:26 PM

My son lives in Raleigh and I have flown there twice. It would be a shame to see it close.

Larry
Old 05-12-2018, 02:23 PM

Default Historic Register

TIB - My understanding is that a site or facility on the National Historic Register only protects the site from any project or encroachment that is Federally Funded (even partially).

The Register status doesn't protect the site from alteration, abandonment, or destruction if is is threatened by other than a Federally funded project, e.g. highway, canal, construction of a imposing Federal building. A privately owned site, even if on the Register can be removed or altered; it would simply lose its Federal historic status.
RV14A (N14ZT), Ser#140195
Start 10/11/14
IO-390 Lyc Tbolt / CS Hartzell
Well into the panel and its stuff now
Dues paid 12/1/17 (USArmy 2/67-2/70)
www.mykitlog.com/jeffw@sc47
Old 05-12-2018, 04:31 PM

The university has wanted to close the field ever since I was a kid there 50 years ago.
Maybe the strangling moves they have made (many) will finally do it despite the original wishes of Horace Williams who donated it for aviation use.

The university is absolutely the most unfriendly bunch and the airport is depressing. Newcomers won't know it. It's just a field with gas and usually a student attendant.

There used to be a lot more planes (including my dads) but even then the sword of damocles was over the field at all times.

My understanding was the field was Navy and the 3 crossed runways made it the largest sod field east of the Mississippi.

This changed around '72 when a POS tiny paved strip was put in which killed the other two sod runways.
Unpainted, polished....kinda'
My RV Construction Page

Last edited by rzbill : 05-12-2018 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 05:53 PM

Man, what a shame a public University would take such action. I am so glad we were able to land and spend a few days there while visiting friends in Chapel Hill.

www.PuertoRicoFlyer.com

Last edited by GalinHdz : 05-13-2018 at 07:28 AM.
Old 05-12-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalinHdz View Post
Man, what a shame a public University would take such action. I am so glad we were able to land and spend a few days there while visiting friends in Chapel Hill.

Agree. I brought my then brand new 200 hours RV to Horace Williams in 2011. To join Ted Chang on our first Bahamian trip. The tensions were high I was told. What a shame.

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:59 PM

My first formal lesson took place there in the fall of 1962. Sad but not surprising, academia has little interest in private aviation and the engineering departments, if they have one, are focused on drones because that's where the student body is focused.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:33 PM

Default Airport closure

If the airport is owned by the University and doesn't have FAA grants funding or the grant funding has lapsed probably not much can be done to change the plans of the university. Regrettably it's probably too late to save,but let it become a a reminder to us all how easy it is to lose an airport ( remember Megis Field) . The best thing we can do is foster a good relationship between the airport ( our own local airports) and the community, local decision makers ( city council-board of supervisors - ect.) show them the value early get them to think of it like the highway it doesn't make money,but it brings money to town. Host events that the community can and will come to and enjoy and want more of ( youth flights, wings & wheel shows, Halloween candy drops , TAKE THEM FLYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Raidial RV-8R Ephanage Done, Wings Done, Fuselage underway
Old 05-13-2018, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernon smith View Post
and the engineering departments, if they have one,
They don't. You have to go to a real university over in Raleigh for that. Go Wolfpack.
Unpainted, polished....kinda'
My RV Construction Page
Old 05-13-2018, 07:29 AM

Interestingly enough at the 11:27 and 12:21 point of the video "Clipped Wings: The Horace Williams Airport Story" you see our airplane (N819PR) parked at KIGX.

www.PuertoRicoFlyer.com

Last edited by GalinHdz : 05-13-2018 at 09:04 AM.