- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2018, 11:44 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by polkaking27 View Post
You guys nailed it... the cable is running through that lower pre drilled hole. I can see how it would be super easy to overlook that. I mean who wants to drill a hole in the spar, especially when there are nice correctly sized holes already there. (Side note- what are those lowerholes for?)

So if I’m reading the plans that Carl posts correctly it looks like I will drill the hole with the arrow for an -8. Is that correct. (The more upper/outboard hole). I can’t see the note on the screenshot, does it specify what size to enlarge to? I think I’ll call Van’s tomorrow and get me a set of plans, and some grommets and ask about this. Thanks so much, you guys are awesome!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/H53hS95uR29OE36x1
The snap-in bushings are usually available at your friendly ACE store - same make, same part number.
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 05-06-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polkaking27 View Post
You guys nailed it... the cable is running through that lower pre drilled hole. I can see how it would be super easy to overlook that. I mean who wants to drill a hole in the spar, especially when there are nice correctly sized holes already there. (Side note- what are those lowerholes for?)

So if I’m reading the plans that Carl posts correctly it looks like I will drill the hole with the arrow for an -8. Is that correct. (The more upper/outboard hole). I can’t see the note on the screenshot, does it specify what size to enlarge to? I think I’ll call Van’s tomorrow and get me a set of plans, and some grommets and ask about this. Thanks so much, you guys are awesome!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/H53hS95uR29OE36x1
Kudos for investigating something that didn't seem quite right to you, and not just accepting it as is!

The hole that your red arrow is pointing to in your picture does look like the correct one for the RV-8 (Conventional gear model, i.e., tailwheel). Below are some blowups of the DWGs and a snippet from page 8-9 of the construction manual. The final drill size and snap bushing P/N is in Note 1.

The snippet from the construction manual shown below mentions a "Note: 1 & 2". I could not find a "Note 2" on DWG 64. But it seems that all the necessary info is there in Note 1.

(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B, N564NS - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f, N61MP - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 05-06-2018 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:09 PM

Gil- Thanks for the advice thats much easier/cheaper than shipping from aircraft spruce.

Carl- thanks for posting those drawings. I think that should give me all that I need to know. My big question was final drill size. I sure hope the rudder cable attach point will fit through a 5/8 hole, I think it should.

One last question before I finish this one up. Because the cable has to go through the entire spar (obviously) I have to drill both the fore and aft plates. Would you suggest I drill 1 hole in the forward plate by accessing it from the front, then drill a 2nd hole in the aft plate accessing it from the rear? Or should I try to hit both holes from 1 access point? Does that make sense?
Old 05-06-2018, 03:13 PM

okay, after reading the plans again it says to use a unibit... I suppose that answers my question right there. Using a unibit I obviously couldn't hit both holes from one side and end up with the correct size.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:24 PM

You’re drilling structural parts here. I’d call Vans and see if they’re okay with new 5/8” holes close to the old, incorrect ones. They might suggest a doubler or some other reinforcement.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
You’re drilling structural parts here. I’d call Vans and see if they’re okay with new 5/8” holes close to the old, incorrect ones. They might suggest a doubler or some other reinforcement.
Bob,

Unless I've missed something, I don't think he has any extra, incorrect holes based on his picture here --> https://photos.app.goo.gl/H53hS95uR29OE36x1

If you compare the DWGs in my posts #24 & #32 with his pictures, it looks like the original builder just routed the rudder cables through the factory provisioned lower holes that were meant as pass-throughs for electrical wiring cables and battery cables for an aft-mounted battery. The correct pilot holes for the -8 and -8A rudder cables were never used.

Also, take a look at the picture in Post #1 (incorrect routing) and the picture in Post #6 (correct routing) of this thread --> http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...26#post1039526 and you can see the lower holes are already there.

But it wouldn't hurt to have an experienced RV-8 person take a look at it.
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B, N564NS - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f, N61MP - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 05-06-2018 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:12 PM

Carl, You are absolutely correct. It appears that the original builder routed the rudder cables through the already existing holes and didn't drill any new holes in that area.

Bob- That being said, before I drill through a spar I feel more comfortable calling vans and talking to them about it. So I'm waiting until tomorrow to proceed with anything. Thanks for your concern. Hopefully Carl and I are correct and won't need any doublers or fixes, but we will see what they say!
Old 05-11-2018, 01:00 PM

I talked to Van’s this week and verified that the cables indeed were run incorrectly through the predrilled holes that are there for wiring (I believe). I can see how this was easily overlooked because I also wouldn’t want to drill a hole through that bulkhead if there was a predrilled hole in nearly the right position. Van’s verifies that I did indeed need to drill new holes as referenced in dwg 64 (thanks Carl) But anyway, you guys were all correct. I got the new holes drilled and the cables re-routed and hopefully my bag of bolts and grommets from aircraft spruce comes in today and I can get her all put back together.

Thanks so much for the help. Hopefully this thread can help someone else in the future!
Old 05-11-2018, 06:22 PM

Now for the mag issue!!!???
Old 05-11-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabarr View Post
Now for the mag issue!!!???
Yes... Now thats the next issue for this weekend!