- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2018, 09:41 AM

Default Newb question: Aileron inputs and Mag check

Hi all,

I just bought me a beautiful rv-8 from another member on here. I'm loving it, but have a couple of questions.

During run-up I'm noticing a couple of things.
1-When I have my brakes applied and I check to see if my controls are free and correct I can feel some resistance in the ailerons. When I release the brakes everything is fine and there is no resistance. Is there some sort of interference between the brakes and the aileron controls? Is this normal or something I should look further into?

2- When I do a mag check I get no/very little RPM drop on either right or left mags. I've looked up other threads on this so I tried to troubleshoot myself. I don't see an appreciable rise in EGT on either mag, and when I turn it to off the engine will shut down. Is it possible that the mags are so well timed that I'm not seeing a drop in rpm or rise in EGT, or is one of my p leads bad?

Thanks so much for your help. I feel like I'm at a huge disadvantage to all of you guys because you built your airplanes and know them in and out. Hopefully I can get as comfortable with the mechanical workings as you guys are after my first condition inspection.

Thanks
Old 05-04-2018, 09:49 AM

Resistance is not normal. There is no tie between brakes and ailerons. Suggest you investigate before further flight.
What type ignition are you running? If 2 electronic ignitions, very little drop is normal. If running mags, it could be a sign of timing being too advanced.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:30 AM

I wonder if the interference is actually the rudder cables interfering with the aileron push rod? It might be worth pulling the floor beneath the pilot seat and check that out.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:09 AM

Okay thanks, I didn't think there should be any correlation between the brakes and ailerons. I'll pull the floor boards and look into it a little bit.

As far as the ignition goes, I am running dual mags. Everything else that I have flown has had dual mags and I always see at least a small drop in rpm. With these, if I'm trying to be picky I maybe see a drop of 10 rpm. I run it up to 1800 rpm to do my mag check. Is that standard or do I need to go to 2000?
Old 05-04-2018, 11:12 AM

You need to have the mag timing checked. No drop is not good.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:35 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by polkaking27 View Post
Hi all,

I just bought me a beautiful rv-8 from another member on here.
First off, congrats on the new plane

Do you have the adjustable rudder pedals or not? I have no idea if there is any connection to the problem, but might be??? Someone who knows the design better might be find the info useful to help diagnose the issue.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 05-04-2018, 01:45 PM

Could one mag have a broken ground circuit therefore never turning off?
Old 05-04-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polkaking27 View Post
Okay thanks, I didn't think there should be any correlation between the brakes and ailerons. I'll pull the floor boards and look into it a little bit.

As far as the ignition goes, I am running dual mags. Everything else that I have flown has had dual mags and I always see at least a small drop in rpm. With these, if I'm trying to be picky I maybe see a drop of 10 rpm. I run it up to 1800 rpm to do my mag check. Is that standard or do I need to go to 2000?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabarr View Post
You need to have the mag timing checked. No drop is not good.
IF your carb idle mixture is too lean, you can also get a low or no mag RPM drop. IF you do a mag check on an airplane with dual mags that has the carb set correctly, one can pull the mixture out some (lean the engine) and get very little to no mag drop on a lean mixture.
3,300+ hours
Where is N157GS
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:08 PM

When you are on the brakes are you compressing the seat cushion into the stick? Or even your leg (its amazing what we don't notice when focused on something else!)?
Old 05-04-2018, 02:09 PM

Start simple. Put an ohmmeter on the ignition switch (engine and power off) and confirm that on L the right mag is grounded, and vice versa on R.