- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luddite42 View Post
Surely you are not suggesting the RV structure, designed for aerobatics, has questionable ability to be repeatedly subjected to spins. Is your only aerobatic/spin/upset experience the limited exposure you received way back in the military?
Off course not....but RV's have been lost doing unusual attitude maneuvers, why test it over and over.

The FAA has de-emphasized (somewhat) stick and rudder skills in favor of using your head to stay out trouble.

I am in favor of both.
RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...Sold #83261
I'm in, dues paid 2018 This place is worth it!

Last edited by David-aviator : 05-01-2018 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjb View Post
Yea ... I just saw the video again right in time for a BFR. We went up in a Super D and did some of these; it took a lot of input to get it to break ... and boy it felt strange cross-contolling so much!
A skid does not require cross-control... that's a slip.
Try a banked turn at low speed and add inside rudder... now you'll be upside down.
RV-9A complete
Harmon Rocket complete
S-21 under construction
Old 05-01-2018, 07:55 PM

Found this video on skidding and slipping stalls turning final....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfwLglHEYvQ

Interesting....good reason to fly with ball centered.
RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...Sold #83261
Old 05-01-2018, 08:35 PM

Apologize for ruffling feathers here, I am getting old and crotchety and know it.

Best thing going on right now is helping friend complete an RV-12. At present installing flight control system and getting spun up on "flaperons" and how they work, quite different from RV-7 and 8. Understand flap feature as of today but still have to discover how ailerons get moved.

Before that was task of unraveling rat's nest of wires from option and fuselage bundles...finally traced every wire back to connector pin and then went to diagram to find out what it was for, labeled it, and made sure it was routed correctly. The 12 is not an easy airplane to build. at least not from perspective of stepping in at chapter 31. It has many more wires than previous builds.

Doing a Flight Review tomorrow with hangar friend and neighbor in his 12, will be first time in it for me, I've heard it flies like all RV's, will find out.
RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...Sold #83261
Old 05-01-2018, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlittle View Post
A skid does not require cross-control... that's a slip.
Try a banked turn at low speed and add inside rudder... now you'll be upside down.
There was some cross-control involved ... some alternate aileron to keep the bank "relatively flat" in the turn -- a low bank, skidding turn. Agreed, not like regular slip.
N430WB (reserved) RV-7 #74152, tip-up. Engine hung!
Log at: http://rv7.wbencze.com
Defeating gravity one rivet at a time
VAF 2018 donation happily made
Old 05-02-2018, 05:21 AM

the point of the video was to practice keeping the ball centered in the pattern. it doesn't matter how well you recover from this stall at altitude because if it happens turning final there is absolutely not enough altitude to recover.
RV-12 kit as of 9/13
Old 05-03-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David-aviator View Post
Doing a Flight Review tomorrow with hangar friend and neighbor in his 12, will be first time in it for me, I've heard it flies like all RV's, will find out.
RV-12 is a delight to fly....not quite the git-up-and-go of the RV-8 but flying qualities are excellent.

Was very bumpy day ahead of weather system but all went well, no skids or slips to final...
RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...Sold #83261
Old 05-03-2018, 09:20 PM

Not to intentionally beat a dead horse... But I work for a Part 121 carrier and was in the Simulator just last Monday. We are taught "approach to stall" recovery instead of actually stalling the airplane. Basically, fly to the stick shaker and recover. It's rather bland. Our Sim Instructor did tell us within the next year though, 121 carriers (all airlines) will be required to train recovery from a full stall or deep stall. It seems the FAA is changing its tact on weather to just avoid hazardous situations or teach and practice real recovery. But it's just a rumor I guess, I heard it from a pilot.

And I am for it. There's seems to be a quiet, self depreciating joke among my co-workers (all 'top of the pyramid', ATP holding, Airline Captains) who don't fly GA that "If I were in a small plane, I'd probably crash". I think they're right. Staying in the middle of the envelope for an entire career dulls your skills. I know all the tailwheel, aerobatics, banner towing, formation flying makes me a better pilot and certainly better at my day job. Finding the edge of the envelope once in a while is perfectly fine and teaches you a better respect for what we're doing in the sky. As long as it's done smartly and safely like 7000' and not 300'. There's nothing wrong with that.

P.s. The DC-9 simulator does wonderful aerobatics. Rolls a little slower than the RV, and doesn't really like to spin either

RV-4 N249P O-320, Warnke Prop, GRT Sport EX
Old 05-04-2018, 08:07 AM

Default feathers

David, no feathers ruffled in my opinion. You started a healthy discussion. We learn from such things. If we stop learning... it is downhill from there. And good on you for helping out with a build. That's the spirit!

Work bio: Avionics tech support; ATP rated in planes.Helicopter rated, balloon instructor, seaplanes and for grins, Phantom Drone pilot. Instructor for air medical and law enforcement tactical radio systems. Fly my RV9A to work every week. Janitor when and as needed.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:05 AM

Upset Recovery Training, or some Aerobatic Training is the best way to learn how to avoid (and recognize if you are getting into) stall/spin situations.
Flight instruction does cost a few $$$, but is always fun and well worth doing.
I joined the IAC and flew my RV-8 in Primary Class in 2016, it was a Hoot!
https://www.iac.org/events
RV-8 N89SE first flight 12/26/2013
Yak55M, and the wife has an RV-4
There is nothing-absolute nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing around with Aeroplanes
(with apologies to Ratty)