- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2018, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprucemoose View Post
This one actually combines two issues in one. Too bad this AC missed the boat on eliminating the word "experimental" from non-tower radio use completely.
I'd go further and say that the use of "experimental" in radio calls is useless and deprecated at this point. There's enough variety in homebuilts today that saying actual type is going to be a lot more informative to all involved, and less of a mouthful too.

One could argue that, at least with popular homebuilt types, saying type instead of the word "experimental" still informs ATC of the "experimental nature" of the aircraft.

Quote:
I will respectfully disagree with the FAA on this one though. As long as the call sign is used on initial call up, the FCC regs are complied with. Furthermore, "Red RV" is a much more useful (and succinct) call sign than "Experimental one two three four Alpha."
In an uncontrolled, visual environment where one technically doesn't even need to use the radio in the first place, I would think that a visual description is going to be a whole lot more informative to everyone else than yet another string of random letters and numbers.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartingt View Post
I'd go further and say that the use of "experimental" in radio calls is useless and deprecated at this point. There's enough variety in homebuilts today that saying actual type is going to be a lot more informative to all involved, and less of a mouthful too.

One could argue that, at least with popular homebuilt types, saying type instead of the word "experimental" still informs ATC of the "experimental nature" of the aircraft.

In an uncontrolled, visual environment where one technically doesn't even need to use the radio in the first place, I would think that a visual description is going to be a whole lot more informative to everyone else than yet another string of random letters and numbers.
Going to agree with the Ramblin' Wreck, here - aircraft type tells me more about the expected speed and performance capabilities of the traffic I'm mingling with than does "Experimental 130YD." And I'll identify him by color before I'm ever able to read his N-number.

The broadcast of N numbers more often than required to meet FCC regs seems like it would only be helpful in <ahem> enforcement matters. I'm not inclined to help those along and thereby possibly act against my own self-interest.

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - flying since '98
RV-10 - N130YD reserved - under construction

donating monthly to the VAF - thanks, Doug
Old 05-02-2018, 09:33 AM

Now Days there is no requirement for a radio station license or a radio operator license. Could someone knowledgeable weigh-in: Is there an FCC requirement to announce the N-number or call sign? I don't do it with my wireless telephone in the house. I know it is a requirement on licensed Ham frequencies, but what about aircraft frequencies?
At non-towered airports the N-number just ties up the frequency unless there are two or more of the same type in the area.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprucemoose View Post
This one actually combines two issues in one. Too bad this AC missed the boat on eliminating the word "experimental" from non-tower radio use completely.

I will respectfully disagree with the FAA on this one though. As long as the call sign is used on initial call up, the FCC regs are complied with. Furthermore, "Red RV" is a much more useful (and succinct) call sign than "Experimental one two three four Alpha."
I agree.

And I will likely continue to use colors and type (with my call sign).
With proper radio technique, even adding a couple of extra words I can finish a radio call in about a 3rd the time that a large portion of the pilot community tends to.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 05-02-2018, 05:20 PM

Wow, lots of anti-authority attitude around here. You folks are dangerous!
RV-6A bought flying
Old 05-02-2018, 08:27 PM

Realistic or not. it is more likely that 2 or more "red & white" RVs are in the pattern than 2 or more aircraft with the same registration number.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:38 PM

The FAA is clear they want us to identify our planes as experimental when filing a flight plan, and I identify myself as experimental on initial contact to any controller.

As I understand, it's the FCC that requires aircraft identify their type and registration number when making radio calls. They govern the airwaves and they don't want anyone broadcasting a radio signal without properly identify themselves, and so, I can at least understand their logic in requiring me to use my N-number at an non-towered airport (even though I might not agree). However, I've never understood this to mean I must identify myself as experimental to meet the FCC regulation. Experimental is a category of aircraft, not a type. There are many types of aircraft that fall under the category of experimental and for a variety of reasons.

Can someone show me where either the FAA or FCC regulations explicitly state we are to identify ourselves as experimental at a non-towered airport?
Flying
Old 05-02-2018, 08:49 PM

It should be in your Operating Limitations, which make your airworthiness valid, so the must be followed.
RV Hotel (hangar, room, car) at X35 in north FL

Commercial ASEL/S A&P/IA EAA Technical Counselor

Dynamic Prop Balancing, Prebuy Inspections, Condition Inspections, Repairs and Mods, Injector Tuning, Airframe, Engine, Panel Upgrades, Ferrying, etc.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
I agree.

And I will likely continue to use colors and type (with my call sign).
With proper radio technique, even adding a couple of extra words I can finish a radio call in about a 3rd the time that a large portion of the pilot community tends to.
I concur too. Itís a lot easier to keep track of different types and colors than it is a jumble of different n#s that provide no means of aerial identification. Color can sometimes be hard to see in the air but itís a lot easier to see than an N#!

I hope enough of the GA aviation community agrees and can get the FAA to rethink this change that seems to have come out of the blue.

Donation reminder: Jan. 2019
Old 05-02-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
It should be in your Operating Limitations, which make your airworthiness valid, so the must be followed.
The only requirement in anyoneís operating limitations is that they identify them self as experimental on initial call up to an air traffic control tower.
It is not required by operating limitations todo so for terminal or enroute radar or when making blind calls at uncontrol airports.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")