VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics


Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-30-2018, 04:48 PM
RV8JD's Avatar
RV8JD RV8JD is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 883
Default Non-Towered Airport Flight Operations, AC 90-66B

FYI. The FAA recently updated its Advisory Circular on operating at non-towered airports on March 13, 2018.

Link --> Non-Towered Airport Flight Operations - AC 90-66B
__________________
Carl N.
Arlington, WA (KAWO)
RV-8, 395 Tach Hours
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B, N564NS - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f, N61MP - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 04-30-2018 at 06:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-30-2018, 05:54 PM
rv7boy's Avatar
rv7boy rv7boy is offline
Forum Peruser
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Austinville, Alabama
Posts: 2,335
Default

Carl, give us the synopsis. Where are the revisions, deletions and additions? And which ones will affect us? Tell us what you think of the updates.
__________________
Don Hull
RV-7 Wings
KDCU Pryor Field
Pilots'n Paws Pilot
N79599/APRS Automatic Position Reporting System

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights;
it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard


"It should be added that the sublime beauty of the facture brings within the realm of discourse the substructure of critical thinking. " -using Doug's Art Critique jargon link and my birthday, I get this!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-30-2018, 06:04 PM
RV8JD's Avatar
RV8JD RV8JD is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 883
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv7boy View Post
Carl, give us the synopsis. Where are the revisions, deletions and additions? And which ones will affect us? Tell us what you think of the updates.
Everyone has a different level of knowledge and understanding of the recommended procedures (not to mention opinions), so that would be difficult to do. Best if folks read it for themselves.

Nice try, though!
__________________
Carl N.
Arlington, WA (KAWO)
RV-8, 395 Tach Hours
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B, N564NS - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f, N61MP - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 04-30-2018 at 06:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-30-2018, 06:10 PM
moosepileit moosepileit is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Floyds Knobs, IN
Posts: 283
Default

Not Carl, but drones added, 800 foot pattern option now standard 1000 foot, good summary at link, but the AC is not a wasted read itself.

https://www.nbaa.org/ops/safety/new-...-all-users.php
__________________
RV-6 N91GG, bought from builder.
O-320, slider, carb, mags, FP
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-30-2018, 07:40 PM
RV8iator's Avatar
RV8iator RV8iator is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Saint Simons Island , GA
Posts: 1,389
Default

Overheads are now an alternative, accepted approach..Listed under, Other approaches..
__________________
Jerry "Widget" Morris
RV 8, N8JL, 2700+ hours

VAF #818
Saint Simons Island, GA. KSSI
PIF 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011,2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018.

I just wish I could afford to live the way I do
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-01-2018, 01:49 PM
Raymo's Avatar
Raymo Raymo is online now
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Richmond Hill, GA (KLHW)
Posts: 1,730
Default

I like this part.

Note: Pilots are reminded that the use of the phrase, “ANY TRAFFIC IN THE
AREA, PLEASE ADVISE
,” is not a recognized self-announce position and/or
intention phrase and should not be used under any condition
. Any traffic that
is present at the time of your self-announcement that is capable of radio
communications should reply without being prompted to do so.
__________________
Ray
RV-7A - Slider - N495KL - First flt 27 Jan 17
O-360-A4M w/ AFP FM-150 FI, 1 PMag, Vetterman Trombone Exh, SkyTech starter, PlanePower Alt
Catto 3 blade NLE, FlightLines Interior, James cowl, plenum & intake, Anti-Splat -14 seat mod and nose gear support
All lines by TSFlightLines
NSDQ

"The object of the game, gentlemen, is not to cheat death: the object is not to let him play."
Patrick Poteen, Sgt. U.S. Army
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-01-2018, 04:36 PM
RV7A Flyer's Avatar
RV7A Flyer RV7A Flyer is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: US
Posts: 1,608
Default

I like this part, too...

Quote:
Note: Pilots are reminded that the use of the phrase, “ANY TRAFFIC IN THE
AREA, PLEASE ADVISE” is not a recognized self-announce position and/or
intention phrase and should not be used under any condition. Any traffic that
is present at the time of your self-announcement that is capable of radio
communications should reply without being prompted to do so.
__________________
2017 Dues paid!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-01-2018, 09:25 PM
alcladrv alcladrv is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southeast
Posts: 453
Default

I like this part in addition to the statement in the prior posts:

10.3.1 Self-announce transmissions may include aircraft type to aid in identification and detection, but should not use paint schemes or color descriptions to replace the use of the aircraft call sign. For example, “MIDWEST TRAFFIC, TWIN COMMANDER FIVE ONE ROMEO FOXTROT TEN MILES NORTHEAST” or “MIDWEST TRAFFIC, FIVE ONE ROMEO FOXTROT TWIN COMMANDER TEN MILES NORTHEAST,” not “MIDWEST TRAFFIC, BLUE AND WHITE TWIN COMMANDER TEN MILES NORTHEAST.”

Using aircraft colors instead of call signs is something that I increasingly hear in some northeastern states including PA, MD, NJ and NY.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-01-2018, 09:29 PM
Jesse's Avatar
Jesse Jesse is offline
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: X35 - Ocala, FL
Posts: 3,587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcladrv View Post
I like this part in addition to the statement in the prior posts:

10.3.1 Self-announce transmissions may include aircraft type to aid in identification and detection, but should not use paint schemes or color descriptions to replace the use of the aircraft call sign. For example, “MIDWEST TRAFFIC, TWIN COMMANDER FIVE ONE ROMEO FOXTROT TEN MILES NORTHEAST” or “MIDWEST TRAFFIC, FIVE ONE ROMEO FOXTROT TWIN COMMANDER TEN MILES NORTHEAST,” not “MIDWEST TRAFFIC, BLUE AND WHITE TWIN COMMANDER TEN MILES NORTHEAST.”

Using aircraft colors instead of call signs is something that I increasingly hear in some northeastern states including PA, MD, NJ and NY.
I hear this regularly in the SE as well. “Red experimental 5 miles east...”
__________________
Jesse Saint (Saint Aviation, Inc. - VAF Advertiser)
352-427-0285
jesse@saintaviation.com
RV Hotel (hangar, room, car) at X35 in north FL

Commercial ASEL/S A&P/IA EAA Technical Counselor

Dynamic Prop Balancing, Prebuy Inspections, Condition Inspections, Repairs and Mods, Injector Tuning, Airframe, Engine, Panel Upgrades, Ferrying, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-02-2018, 05:04 AM
sprucemoose's Avatar
sprucemoose sprucemoose is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: MKE
Posts: 1,497
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
I hear this regularly in the SE as well. “Red experimental 5 miles east...”
This one actually combines two issues in one. Too bad this AC missed the boat on eliminating the word "experimental" from non-tower radio use completely.

I will respectfully disagree with the FAA on this one though. As long as the call sign is used on initial call up, the FCC regs are complied with. Furthermore, "Red RV" is a much more useful (and succinct) call sign than "Experimental one two three four Alpha."
__________________
Jeff Point
RV-6, RLU-1 built & flying
Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
Milwaukee
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:32 AM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.