VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-26-2018, 09:00 PM

Default RV-8 wing change?

I believe I read something in my searching about a change to the wing (or wing attachment?) which upped the +G-rating of the plane. The telltale sign was the moving of the landing lights from the wing leading edges to the fiberglass end caps. Is this true, and does anyone know what year this occurred? And what about the roll bar that I see in the later planes...when did that come about?

Thanks!
Old 04-26-2018, 09:38 PM

Default RV-8 Wings

The so-called "Dash 1" wing for the RV-8 came about later to make the RV-8 and RV-7 wings more common. This commonality results in a 50 pound increase in the Aerobatic Gross Weight (from 1550 to 1600 pounds), but offers no increase in the Max Gross Weight (1800 pounds).

This thread may help.

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=110895

I have read that you can call Van's with the spar serial numbers that are etched on the root end (which are not the same as the builder number) and they can tell you. But I cannot verify that.

The standard Van's RV-8 has the roll bar at the aft end of the windscreen. That has been there all along.

The aftermarket tip-over canopy on the Show Planes Fastback conversion has a different roll bar setup, as shown in the picture below.

(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B, N564NS - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f, N61MP - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 04-26-2018 at 10:22 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:46 PM

I have previously contacted the factory to confirm my RV-8 had a -1 variant wing.

The changeover happened in 2000, so if your kit was shipped after that time it will be a -1 with 1600lb aerobatic gross weight.

The factory can confirm if you supply either the kit serial number or the spar serial number (etched on the spar). Spar serial numbers greater than 8-869 are -1 .
Old 04-27-2018, 07:06 AM

Default G load.

All of the above and there was no change to the G-load recommendation for either wing only the 50 Lbs. more weight while operating in the Aro envelope.
The rear C.G. limit moves a little forward for Aro verses standard configuration limits. Be carful with those rear C.G. limits no matter what you fly and load up.
Just 2 pennies. Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888
P.S. Carl is correct as our Sn. is 888, but we were a slow build and waited tell the dash one wing came out before we got the wing kit. These wing are called dash one because at the end of the SN. they have a dash then the one after that.
They are both good to go, the dash one is just the up-date for the match hole per punch to the seven and eight. That wing is the same on both models.

Last edited by Robert Anglin : 04-28-2018 at 07:28 AM.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Albery View Post
The factory can confirm if you supply either the kit serial number or the spar serial number (etched on the spar). Spar serial numbers greater than 8-869 are -1 .
One caveat with basing it off the Builder's Number (aka: Kit Serial Number). Example: I purchased my current RV-8, and it has a low Builder's Number, one which is prior to the "Dash 1" wing availability. The original builder/owner bought the empennage kit years ago, and the Builder's Numbers are assigned with the empennage kit. He didn't buy any other sub-kits at the time. He built most of the empennage when he first bought the empennage kit, but stopped building after that.

Fast forward to a few years ago when he decided to finish the RV-8. He didn't like most of his early workmanship, but kept the rudder and ordered new fin, stab and elevator parts. He then bought a new QB fuselage and QB wings from Van's (with the "Dash 1" wing). The rudder is virtually the only component from the original kit on the airplane. So although the airplane is new, with a "Dash 1" wing, the original Builders Number is an early one and would not indicate that the airplane has the "Dash 1" wing.

With people mixing and matching kit components of various ages, I'd rely on the spar serial numbers for confirmation.

But remember, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the original, non-"Dash 1" wing.
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B, N564NS - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f, N61MP - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 04-27-2018 at 04:53 PM.