- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalflier View Post
Chuck: I am in Northern Ca. And would be interested in a plenum for my RV6 and would like to explore the split shipping. Please let me know what you find out. Thanks, Bruce Estes
Bruce - Will do.

DG-800S Sailplane
QB RV-8 -- Working on the canopy and wiring
84CX Reserved
Old 05-03-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Chuck: I am in Northern Ca. And would be interested in a plenum for my RV6 and would like to explore the split shipping. Please let me know what you find out. Thanks, Bruce Estes
Bruce,

I was told by RV Bits that to add an additional plenum would increase the shipping price by $80. Then you would need to add on the price for me to ship it to you. So you would save some, but I'm guessing not a lot. Maybe $100 in total. I will be ordering soon, so let me know if you want to pursue this.

I was just going to buy the non-CF plenum (which was made by RV Bits for an 8) from my buddy, but since I have to pay the shipping for the gear transition fairings anyway, that wouldn't really save me any money. So I am going to get both the plenum and fairings in one shipment.

DG-800S Sailplane
QB RV-8 -- Working on the canopy and wiring
84CX Reserved
Old 05-03-2018, 05:12 PM

Chuck: thanks for the info. I emailed RV Bits, inquiring about a plenum for my RV6 but have not heard back. What is the cost for your new plenum and is it glass or c/f? I am still thinking of making my own but need more info. Thanks, Bruce
Old 05-04-2018, 06:00 AM

You might check out this link - Very nice work, the best inlet connection to the cowl I have seen posted.

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...67&postcount=1

I made my plenum cover based on a layup of the inside of the cowl. It has to be finished first or it is a tremendous amount of work to finish it smooth. I like the way Pete Howell did his. He cut some foam insulation blocks and filled within the baffle area and did a lay up on top. This way you could make the 90 perimeter flange too. Aluminum would work fine. The center hump matching the trailing shape of the spinner is not necessary, unless you have something to clear.

Personally, I would make the inlets one piece to the rings with urethane flexible ducts like DanH made his, if I were to do it again. My neoprene works great, very flexible, but having enough straight length is a design problem for the ideal inlet diffuser shape. There is not enough length on the vans cowl to waste any.

I think the most difficult area is that inlet ring to mate with the cowl. At least it would be for me.

Good luck in this project, and be sure to measure your upper and lower cowl pressures before and after to know what you have. Otherwise, it is literally shooting in the dark.

RV-7
Op Lims in hand 12-7-17
1st Flight 1-27-18
2017 Dues Paid
Old 05-04-2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N733JJ View Post
I flew without the plenum for many years but looking out at the cowling bulging from the internal pressure. Couldn’t stop thinking about the pressure on the sky bolt fasteners, couldn’t take my eyes off the “scalloping” between the fasteners...

Scott
Is that from the internal pressure or the airflow over the top of the cowl lifting on the cowl?
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 05-05-2018, 08:10 AM

I believe there is much more dynamic pressure possible than "lift" from slipstream airflow.
Old 05-05-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Chuck: thanks for the info. I emailed RV Bits, inquiring about a plenum for my RV6 but have not heard back. What is the cost for your new plenum and is it glass or c/f? I am still thinking of making my own but need more info. Thanks, Bruce
Did you email Chris or me? I did not receive anything yet.
http://www.rvbits.com
RV10 - ZU-XOX - (Fuselage)
RV7A - ZU-JRV - (Flying)
RV10 - ZU-JVR - (Written off)
RV7 - ZU-LOL - (Flying)
RV10 - ZU-RVI - (Flying)
RV7A - ZU-MER (Sold Flying)
RV7A - ZU-JAD (Sold Flying)
Dues paid for 2018
Old 05-05-2018, 02:53 PM

I email you as listed on your website. I want pricing for a plenum for my RV6 with a IO360. Thanks, Bruce Estes. brucee7837@aol.com
Old 05-19-2018, 11:25 AM

Question Plenum quote price?

Quote:
I email you as listed on your website. I want pricing for a plenum for my RV6 with a IO360. Thanks, Bruce Estes. brucee7837@aol.com
Bruce did you ever get that quote from Jan? I wanted one from him a while back and he said they weren’t fabricating them at that time but would let me know in a few months when they were and let me know so I could place my order. Never heard from him and then noticed they were removed from his site. They looked like a pretty nice product. I purchased their gear leg fairings and there top quality.
Old 05-19-2018, 02:03 PM

I did not get a response. Nothing. Not even a polite “We are not building that plenum”. Bruce Estes