- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2018, 07:09 PM

Default echoUAT + skyFYX-EXT

I’m in the process of installing ADS-B in my early SN RV-12. I have purchased uAvionix echoUAT + skyFYX-EXT + 24" Antenna Coax with connectors. Installation is very clean. The new WAAS GPS antenna mounts next to the Garmin GPS antenna on the double-wide bracket under the engine cowling. The echoUAT mounts on the rear baggage bulkhead with wire and coax fed through grommets in the floor. Power wire and signal wire from the WAAS GPS to the echo are routed under the pilot side armrest.

Test flight for Public ADS-B Performance Report will happen in a few days when weather improves…
-

-

-

-
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 Sport Pilot since 2004
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC Jul 2012 - Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 380

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks to EJ Trucks
Old 05-04-2018, 10:14 PM

Default Another uAvionix Echo UAT Install

Happy to add another Echo UAT success story to the list.
Installed in my RV4, performance flight was this afternoon,, beautiful day over the Puget Sound, just west of SEATAC, below Class B.

No failures.

FlyQ EFB performed well with the new toy,, only complaint (which has been previously reported) is the constant flashing red ADSB Battery icon.

I'll submit a ticket to Seattle Avionics,,

Fairly easy install, only tough part was fishing the power supply cable to the rear of the airframe,, the conduit I installed back in the mid 90's is pretty much full!!
dlaubuchon@gmail.com
Old 05-05-2018, 05:48 AM

Jim, thanks for posting your experience and good pictures. I have been procrastinating since I started this thread, but I will have to get to addressing this pretty soon.

One question, why did you mount the little box way back there in the baggage area? Why not just find a spot in the avionics bay where the wiring would be easier?
Old 05-05-2018, 06:18 AM

John

uAvionix tells you to have good separation (>6’) between transponder antenna and new ADS-B antenna. Therefore, new antenna has to go behind rear bulkhead. Also best to max distance from comm antenna. My new ADS-B antenna is about 18” behind the rear bulkhead.

So, to answer your question… either the echo had to mount in the rear with short coax or mount in the instrument bay and run a long coax. I chose the former so coax loss would be minimal. Easier to run two flexible Tefzel wires as opposed to stiff coax. Also part of the planning are two status lights on the face of the echo that I’d like to be able to see occasionally.

I’ll finish installation today and do initial power up. The echo gets programmed via Bluetooth from phone or iPad app to set N number and a half dozen other items.

Weather is gorgeous today but we have a big POTUS TFR so might test fly tomorrow or Monday.

Install manuals here:

http://uavionix.com/downloads/echo-u...tion-Guide.pdf
-
https://uavionix.com/downloads/skyfy...tion-Guide.pdf
EAA #499867
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC Jul 2012 - Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 380

LSRM-A Certificate 2016

Last edited by Piper J3 : 05-05-2018 at 06:23 AM.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:06 AM

Follow up to my posts above... Flew plane this morning and passed PAPR Report with no RED. Easy installation...
EAA #499867

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Old 05-07-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
Follow up to my posts above... Flew plane this morning and passed PAPR Report with no RED. Easy installation...
Jim,

That's great!
Thank you for the follow up.
A good friend and I plan on installing the same system in our airplanes.
Can you provide any suggestions or things to watch out for, regarding the installation?
Old 05-07-2018, 01:34 PM

Default THank You

Many Van's members do not post photos, as they have to be hosted offsite. Thanks for putting these pictures up. It helps others think in advance about installation choices and options. We will all be at Oshkosh this year. Shane will be missed. I am jealous of his height and hair. And beyond that, he was smart and helpful. I suppose I can achieve those... and just forget about the hair.

Work bio: Avionics tech support; ATP rated in planes.Helicopter rated, balloon instructor, seaplanes and for grins, Phantom Drone pilot. Instructor for air medical and law enforcement tactical radio systems. Fly my RV9A to work every week. Janitor when and as needed.
Old 05-07-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftdown View Post
Jim,

That's great!
Thank you for the follow up.
A good friend and I plan on installing the same system in our airplanes.
Can you provide any suggestions or things to watch out for, regarding the installation?
Installation is very simple and uAvionix is very helpful answering all questions/concerns promptly. I powered both the echoUAT and skyFYX-EXT GPS antenna from 12 volt buss using a shared 3 amp fuse per uAvionix suggestion.
EAA #499867

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Old 05-07-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
Installation is very simple and uAvionix is very helpful answering all questions/concerns promptly. I powered both the echoUAT and skyFYX-EXT GPS antenna from 12 volt buss using a shared 3 amp fuse per uAvionix suggestion.
Thank you.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:12 PM

I just installed the echoUAT/SafeFly combo from GRT today. Installation was straightforward and took about 4 hours, counting a trip to Lowes to buy some 8-32 flush head screws for mounting. That also included building two RG400 antenna cables since I messed up the length of the first one. The ADS-B antenna was mounted by the left gear mount, withe GPS antenna on the glareshield.

Took another 30 minutes of looking at both GRT and uAvionix instructions to get all the settings properly configured. I have a single Sport SX EFIS.

I went for a test flight and the report showed all good except 100% Fail for Flight ID. The instructions had stated that this should be left blank, however the FAA seems to want this to be the same as the N-number for GA aircraft. I will make this change tomorrow and see how it works.

The IN portion works great and I have traffic and weather on both my EFIS and foreflight. An added bonus was that it supplies position data to the iPad so I can ditch my bluetooth GPS unit.

Chris

Last edited by YellowJacket RV9 : 06-08-2018 at 06:15 PM.