VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-28-2013, 12:02 PM

Default Powder Coating

Has anyone powder coated interior parts? I am planning to paint all the visible interior parts not covered with upholstery but thought powder coat might be a good option.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:50 PM

Default Panel ...

I powder coated the panel with a satin finish, color to match the exposed metal parts of the interior. I wanted durability and cleanability. It provides exactly that.
(Dues paid thru Nov '18)
Old 08-28-2013, 03:01 PM

I also powder coated my instrument panel with a beautiful satin black finish. However...you may want to reconsider powdercoating any interior parts that provide structural integrity to the airframe. The powder coating process requires heating the metal part to temperatures that may compromise the heat treat the of aluminum, thereby reducing the physical properties such as yield strength, tensile strength, shear strength, ductility, and resistance to stress cracking.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:02 PM

I powder coated all of the steel parts inside of fuselage.
RV-4 #2750
N654ML
IO-360
WW150C Prop
1018 lbs
Flying
Old 08-28-2013, 06:09 PM

Powdercoated the panel. Our facility had a limited number of color choices so you may want to get samples of the interior fabrics to make sure of getting a non-clashing panel color. As you probably know, females have a better eye for complementary colors and this kind of advice-seeking adds to her "ownership" of the build. Always a good thing.

Jim
RV-12
Old 08-28-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbird View Post
However...you may want to reconsider powdercoating any interior parts that provide structural integrity to the airframe. The powder coating process requires heating the metal part to temperatures that may compromise the heat treat the of aluminum, thereby reducing the physical properties such as yield strength, tensile strength, shear strength, ductility, and resistance to stress cracking.
This is important advice - powder coating significantly affects structure of metal and this is an imprtant consideration if part is structural.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:47 PM

Default Powder Coating

I spent the afternoon with a powder coater. The companies that I work with can generally get any of the colors on RAL color chart. A quick google search will find the chart. They can also match colors but I expect the cost might be too much for the small quantities we would generally need.
Working on Fuse
O-360-A1A

1946 Cessna 120
Old 08-29-2013, 10:21 AM

I learned the powder cure temperature is 400F for 20-22 minutes. Could that damage 6061-T6 or 2024-T3? I'm concerned about both distortion and metallurgical damage.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:26 AM

400 degrees doesn't hurt aluminum parts. I have a cheap HF powdercoat gun and it works marvelously ($38 with a coupon). I just redid the yokes in my C150.

400 degrees in the oven for 5-10 minutes is all it usually takes.
N244BJ RV-6 "victim of SNF tornado" 1200+ hrs, rebuilding
N8155F C150 flying
N7925P PA-24-250 Comanche, restoring
Not a thing I own is stock.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:38 AM
VAF moderator

Default Powder coating

I've been doing powder coating for a while, just because I wanted to learn about it. Depending on the powder you shoot, it's usually 375 for 11-20 min in an oven, yes there are some structural concerns but if your not doing something structural, it's no big deal. If you end up doing it yourself, look at pre-heating it and wiping it down with MEK before you spray it and cook it. Do lots of research before you do it. It's a great surface and super hard to ruin. Just be aware that if you have something super precision, the powder coating can be quite thick! I'm not doing much of it anymore because of my job requirements but I'm always happy to answer questions! If you wanted a high performance coating, Valspar makes a rather unflattering coating for utility pipes that would literally rub the runway off before it dented the coating!
Best,
Brian
AP/IA COM/Multi/IFR/350 type