- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2018, 12:51 PM

Default Heart Breaking

I don't live anywhere near Chapel Hill, but this is still heart breaking. Once a small airport is closed, it is gone forever.

I'm not sure what makes this so sad. It's more than just the fact that I love flying in small airplanes. It is something more significant than that.

Perhaps it reminds me that the younger generation prefers virtual experiences of any kind, to the real physical experiences available in our beautiful world. I think that is sad.

Each one of these airports represents a small part of the history of our country. It gives us a connection to the past and reminds us of the freedoms that we enjoy here.

I agree that we need to do more to expose the younger generations to aviation. Young Eagle flights are one of my favorite kind of flying. I'm bummed out that this year I'm going to miss out on the Young Eagle flights at Paine Field Aviation day because I'm installing an engine monitor and didn't quite finish in time.

Michael-
Last Donation: December 2017

Last edited by Michael Burbidge : 05-13-2018 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:35 PM

I flew out of this airport for a year when I was at Duke. Dan Boone (now passed) ran the FBO. He was one of the best pilots and mechanics I have ever met. When he would preflight an aircraft everyone around would watch and learn.He could alway get five more knots out of an aircraft then any of us. When I would bring a date there to go flying I always would avoid the crowd at the FBO, knowing I would get a good natured ribbing if I walked though the clubhouse.
The memories and the airport will be missed.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gisnar View Post
. Dan Boone (now passed) ran the FBO..
Its refreshing to hear someone speak about Dan. None of my current circle of friends knew him. A good friend and aviation mentor.

A couple of memories of his cub that impressed me as a kid. He flew it backwards down the runway in the face of an oncoming storm (using the gust front winds). I joined him for a toilet paper ribbon cutting. Cut it 3 times.

Prior to Carolina Flying Services (the FBO), there was an avionics shop owned by the local AM radio station. WCHL. My dad was moonlighting as chief engineer for WCHL via his first class radiotelephone rating. The WCHL owner asked if dad would trade flying lessons for the radio shop to use his FCC credentials. He said yep and our family flying life and friendship with Dan started.
Unpainted, polished....kinda'
My RV Construction Page

Last edited by rzbill : 05-14-2018 at 03:21 AM.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzbill View Post
They don't. You have to go to a real university over in Raleigh for that. Go Wolfpack.
Couldn't agree with you more!

NCSU Engineering class of 92

-Dan
Old 05-14-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Burbidge View Post
Perhaps it reminds me that the younger generation prefers virtual experiences of any kind, to the real physical experiences available in our beautiful world. I think that is sad.
As part of this younger generation you are referring to, this couldn't be further from the truth. There is a surge in popularity in outside hobbies and sports because of the younger generation getting jobs and having the disposable income to travel and enjoy the outdoors. The problem with aviation? It's just too expensive. With crippling student debt and rising housing costs in big population centers where the jobs are, aviation, which requires airports (expensive land) and money (expensive airplanes), the younger generation are getting priced out.

Young people interested in aviation can turn to increasingly realistic flight simulators complete with real air traffic controllers, and for the equivalent cost of about 10 hours of flying, can fly for thousands of hours in essentially any plane they want to. I think everyone would prefer the real thing, if they could afford it.

Want to save neighborhood airports? Then we need to make sure that the average pilot age shifts from 50+ younger. Outreach is not enough, we need to lower the entry barrier, i.e. cost.

P.S. I don't think drone pilots and piston/heli pilots have much overlap. Drones are attractive to people who want toys and/or interested in photography. At least the current iteration of drones.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:25 AM

EZ, getting off topic but where thereís a will, thereís a way. Iíve been working to get the toys Iíve wanted since 10 years old farming to get my first RC airplane. I was able to keep working and moved up to ultralights and was able to get some hours at a local airport in a 140 to learn the basics. Iím now 31 and on the 7th and 8th aircraft Iíve owned since that first ultralight. All of this from my own hard work all the while paying for college on my own and through scholarships I earned. Toys are toys and other things come first, but Iíve been able to maintain a great lifestyle while in the military, able to live comfortably and support my family, all the while enjoying aviation. Where thereís a will, thereís a way....
Aero Engineer, A&P
Old 05-14-2018, 08:59 PM

I salute ecozulu for speaking truth to power. I have two grandchildren, one at George Tech as a Junior and the other entering as a freshman. Both in aeronautical engineering. I had nothing to do with their choice, I'm sure they consider me an old out of touch curmudgeon but they seem to be heading the right way.

Worse still, depending on your political leanings, my son has a doctorate in math and computer sciences and works for NOAA as a research scientist at the University of Hawaii.

They are the future and don't care much about what we think. Kinds of reminds me of myself fifty years ago

Last edited by vernon smith : 05-14-2018 at 09:01 PM. Reason: can't spell
Old 05-16-2018, 11:30 AM

There was a small gathering of aviators and townspeople at the airport on its last night of operation. A perfect evening for flying. A couple of pictures and videos of the activity.

The FAA techs cut the ASOS equipment down. There are yellow Xs now painted on the runway. Perhaps there’s a little hope yet as the Xs are not in permanent paint.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WlGc4ra8SXXS2dHt1

https://youtu.be/_rznRHPpLrA

https://youtu.be/NMFlVL-b28U

https://youtu.be/49G4CM_jtns

https://youtu.be/ZMpwZCKDM7g

Last edited by Bradp : 05-16-2018 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:22 PM

As I recall, there was to be some sort of governmental meeting today (5/16) Does anyone have a report on what occurred there relative to Horace Williams Field?

George
Old 05-17-2018, 04:34 AM

Default Sad times

I wish I could have made it over yesterday eve..WX wasn't as good over here at 8A7. I sure hope Horace Williams can survive the storm..senseless closing of a great little airport.
8A7 / Advance NC