Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-23-2018, 01:04 PM

Default Protecting the rear window

Hi all.
I am considering to protect my rear window to prevent from fuel spill entering micro cracks in the lexan window what eventually will cause crazing. I am thinking about a UV and fuel resistant thin and highly transparent self adhesive film which gets bonded on the flat window before installing it. I don't know if that idea is of any good or if it is just a waste of time. So any comments on that is highly appreciated.
Thank you.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/magic.carpet.aviation
12-Town:http://12town.com/profile/Chris
=VAF= dues paid for 2018
Old 04-23-2018, 03:49 PM

Here's my experience with the RV-12 LEXAN window at 4+ years / 625 hours / 90% mogas 91 with 10% ethanol: I installed the LEXAN window in accordance with Van's plans (i.e., fuel sealant in and around all aft edge screw holes and sealant between LEXAN and aluminum fuselage panels). I have been careful not to spill any fuel near the LEXAN. If you look carefully at my rear window you will find very minor short crazing spikes emanating from 2 - 3 screw holes (maybe due to stress as opposed to fuel). I have seen very heavy crazing on a number of unsealed LEXAN rear windows. I have no experience with overlay films -- my understanding is that the LEXAN we get from Van's has a fuel-resistant coating on the surface but not the edges or in holes thus the need for sealant in these areas.
EAA #23982 - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 680+ hours (as of Oct 2018)!
VAF donation through June 2019.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:13 PM

I had a lot of crazing on my lexan rear window, so at 5 years I decided to bite the bullet and do the aileron bellcrank, window and baggage bulkhead split mods all in one annual. After 18 months I am very happy with the new formed window. It was pricey but worth it.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:41 PM

Hi I had a lot of micro cracks after 18 months so replaced the window and covered with 3m head light protector film and sealed the edges and it is still good 5 years later