What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Skyview EFIS Survival Tips

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
A famously skilled RV pilot has just asked to borrow your airplane. There are no issues with insurance, and you have no reservations whatsoever about giving him the controls. Yet, you are slightly worried because ? alas ? he has never operated the type of Glass Cockpit equipment you have installed. Afraid that he might run in to one of those little ?traps? that all complex software systems exhibit to the uninitiated, you take a few moments to brief him on the top ten ?tricks? you have learned that make flying with your personal EFIS easy and stress-free. We all learn short-cuts and signatures that help us more than the structured manuals ever could - now it is time to share those tips with the rest of the world!

If you have more than a few hours behind the Dynon EFIS, how about listing a few of the items you?d share with the finest pilot you?ve ever met if he (or she) was going to fly your plane.

Paul

Not flying yet - But one trick that has come in handy a few times after the screen locked up is a force reset. You press the first, second, and fifth buttons at the same time.

One of the Skyview updates fixed my boot/lockup problems, so I haven't needed this in a while.

Have a mechanical back-up airspeed and tell him to use it when all of the electrical/electronic stuff quits....:)

Great subject Paul

I have a friend, retired Naval carrier-based pilot (A-6's) who I'm in the process of getting checked out in my -10.

The flying skills aren't the problem...his first landing in it was passable and OK.

The glass cockpit is new to him and a challenge to me to teach. Although I only have a humble D-100, it's all sophisticated to him....6 pages and an HSI?? Localizer and GS on the artificial horizon? Now THAT, he really likes and so did his carrier based retired friend, whom I sat in the cockpit next to him in the hangar. We haven't even started on the functions of the HS-34 module.

He'll end up on my insurance but the learning curve has really changed from six-pack days.

Add fuel? Well, you push "Menu", then push "fuel", then "full" and hit "accept" and it should read correctly. What if he and his wife are off on a trip someplace and he forgets this simple function and takes off? Yep...a new ballgame. In my opinion, we need a checklist just for the EFIS alone!

I did an initial flight of a brand spanking new -7 last year with a GRT screen that I hadn't learned. I asked him to put it on a page that showed me airspeed and altitude, since I was only going to circle the airport and not navigate anywhere. It had been a long time, if ever, that I had to learn the "gauges" before a flight.

Best,

Last edited:
I disagree

Even though you're an airline pilot, there's so much to learn about these EFIS's that sitting in the hangar, with no distractions, you can pay very close attention without burning expensive avgas.

The menu's, pages and other options are amazingly abundant and you'd be lost in flight if you had to strictly look at the 'glass, trying to learn it. In the hangar, you can be self-taught, with the manual in your lap, as I did, and the trickle charger running.

Best,

I'm a fan of practising landings with the instruments covered. Got to do it sensibly with your buddy taking a peek. It's a confidence builder to find you can do a pretty good job if the screen goes blue. The airlines do it too (just airspeed failure cos it's IFR)

Fazio's Rules For First Time EFIS Pilots.

I had a total steam cockpit and just went to two 10" Skyviews. The first couple of flights felt like my first flights in the plane. I've got 225 hours on the plane and about 15 with the skyviews. These screens are throwing so much info at you that you will find it hard to get the simple airspeed and altitude. I am very computer savvy and I am head of IT at my company. I played with the screen at home in my shop a lot before I installed it. Once I got up in the air I was drawing a total blank trying to change screens or navigating. These are my rules for anyone flying an EFIS for the first time, either in a new plane or a retro fitted one.

1. Have backup analog gauges for airspeed and alt, not so much for back of the efis as for backup for the pilot.

2. Have the efis speed ranges in the format used to by the pilot, Knots / MPH

3. Have all the instruments properly ranged, green, yellow, red, for engine instruments as well as air speeds.

4. Set a speed bug on your proper approach speed.

5. Set the EFIS to the proper page for display of Flight info and engine info, on the ground. With two screens have the one in front of you on flight and the other on engine. DO NOT play with buttons on the first flight. Leave it alone!

Hey folks, all good tips - but none of them seem to apply strictly to a Skyview, do they?

If you want a thread on "how to generically fly a generic EFIS", go ahead and start one - good idea in fact. But the point of this (and the other sticky EFIS threads) was to give SPECIFIC tips for the SPECIFIC EFIS. Otherwise, it really doesn't accomplish much.

10" skyview set up...

For the famously skilled RV pilot without SkyView time...
set the primary screen up as 20/80 with engine instrumentation and PFD, do not display synthetic vision, or the map, to reduce noise and clutter. Very easy to see all of the Expected flight and engine data, it is very familiar, and there is no need to press any buttons in flight... once comfortable with the basic setup start exploring the menus; they are straight forward and quite intuitive for screen display, layout, PFD function, and basic auto pilot... come back with questions.

I have a 2x 10 inch setup and I like to set the twisting knobs in following order from left to right. HGD / ALT / BARO / DIM.

I also have set the AP to descend at a default 300fpm but for some reason it always obeys the vertical speed bug. Anyone having similar issue?

Always have the right screen on engine monitor and left with 80% flight info and 20% engine.

Verify

Paul

One thing I would tell the guy/gal is to verify what you are changing with the knob BEFORE turning it. My personal preference is to never leave the menu for a knob left on BARO.

For instance, when needing to change the baro, I push up on one of the knobs so the selection menu will show then I continue to push up till BARO is highlighted. I then turn the knob to input the correct setting. I then immediately push up or down on the knob again to select MY default menu setting.

Can't tell you how many guys complained on the Dynon site about inadvertently changing the altimeter while trying to twist in a new heading.

This won't at all hurt your "new to this system" pilot. It will just frustrate him if not aware.

Honestly, the Skyview is very easy to fly and on my first time around the pattern with it, I just concentrated on airspeed and altitude until my scan got fast enough to process more data.

Hope this helps.

I have a 7" Skyview in my -4 that i had installed about 6 months ago. First time up was my first flight with a glass cockpit but I had spent a fair amount of time sitting on the ground familiarizing myself with the system. One thing I think that helps is to run some scenarios where you go through a simulated flight. For me that meant the difference between accidentally changing the sequence of the various screens on the ground vs. doing it in the air where it would have been distracting. I also think the system is easy to use and fairly intuitive. It can be a bit captivating at first but as some others have mentioned, reduce the amount of information you're displaying and it makes life easier. I also run 80% EFIS and 20% EMS during takeoff and landing. Another thing that might help is to take a good quality video of a run around the pattern that clearly shows the screen(s)..or better yet, take them for a run around the pattern. Even in my -4 the back seat passenger has a good view of the Dynon. It is definitely good to know the reset buttons by heart, but the only real problems I've had with mine so far is on very cold days when I had to do a reboot or two.

I do a similar thing (still flying off Phase 1) and have the screen menu active so I can press Map quickly if I get a traffic alert (have Dynon's transponder). Hit the Map again and it toggles back to PFD/Engine.

For the famously skilled RV pilot without SkyView time...
set the primary screen up as 20/80 with engine instrumentation and PFD, do not display synthetic vision, or the map, to reduce noise and clutter. Very easy to see all of the Expected flight and engine data, it is very familiar, and there is no need to press any buttons in flight... once comfortable with the basic setup start exploring the menus; they are straight forward and quite intuitive for screen display, layout, PFD function, and basic auto pilot... come back with questions.

First few flights

If you have 2 displays, don't touch the one in front of the pilot during your first few flights. Us it as a simple electronic AI with AS and ALT and do all your "touching" on the second display. This way you reduce the impact of any "Aw Sh_t" moment will accidentally have until proficient while flying. As you get better with turning knobs and pushing buttons then do them on the one in front of the pilot. You will quickly learn what you can change on one display that is passed on to the other and what isn't. :cool:

I have a Dynon D100 and AP74 which has a value knob to set baro hdg and alt.
After repeatedly messing up the altimeter setting when trying to set a new heading I altered the behaviour in settings so I have to press the value knob once for baro, twice for hdg and three times to set altitude.
Now I don't screw up nearly as much!

6 pack to glass transition

Hi folks
My problem is somewhat reversed on the intention of this thread but still relevant.
I am a low time pilot who has mainly flown behind the excellent Dynon D180. The amount of reactive indications that change based on other changes such as oil pressure and temp are too good to leave behind.
My suggestion is that it would be fantastic if the flight screen could be set up to mimic a 6 pack. This would allow transitioning pilots a "no finger poking" setup to adapt to the plane first then the glass instruments. It would also allow me to "fly" a 6 pack for training but retain all the excellent functions of glass panels. Or configure one panel each way.
My need is that I am working towards an instrument rating but the training requires steam gauges which I prefer not to install in my aircraft for the required 500 hrs of VFR prior to the private IFR rating.
I know there are lots of planes out there travelling perfectly well with a 6 pack but there are steam tractors that work perfectly well still also. That doesn't mean I am going to make one my daily drive, nor am I about to learn morse code.

Interesting. I'm not sure mimicing the 6 pack will completely solve the problem. I guess it depends how up to date your steam gauge ride is.
Will it have an RMI ?vertical card gyro? ILS display?

Mechanical instruments behave differently, especially altimeter and VSI. Can be quiite annoying watching a VSI making it's mind up which way to point.
Then there is the DG. Got to remember to resynch.

Good grief! Just thinking about it makes you realise how spoiled rotten we are with this new stuff.

Skyview Dual Display Tip

Here is how I use my dual display Skyview with transponder, EMS, ARINC-429 and ADSB.

1 - Set up the Pilot display with PFD and Map page (50/50)
N819PR1088hrs-MAP.jpg

2 - Set up the Co-Pilot display with PFD and EMS page (50/50)
N819PR1088hrs-EMS.jpg

Before engine start, press the SWAP button so the Pilot display has PFD and EMS pages (50/50) while Co-Pilot display has PFD and MAP (50/50). Now the needed information for engine start, taxi, engine run up and takeoff is displayed in front of the pilot. At this point the Pilot really needs EMS page information and doesn't really need MAP page information.

After takeoff just hit the SWAP button and now it looks like the EMS page was replaced by the MAP page for the Pilot while the MAP page was replaced with the EMS page for the Co-Pilot. Both displays keep the PFD in the same location and it looks like it never moved.

Whenever you want to look at an engine parameter in flight, just hit the SWAP button and the EMS page replaces the MAP page without affecting the PFD page. Hit the SWAP button again and the MAP page replaces the EMS page again without affecting the PFD page.

Before landing, press the SWAP button so the Pilot display has PFD and EMS pages (50/50) while Co-Pilot display has PFD and MAP (50/50). Now the needed information for landing, taxi and engine shut down is displayed in front of the pilot. At this point the Pilot doesn't really need MAP page information anymore and has good shutdown information on the EMS page.

AND it gives you a "pseudo portrait layout" in a side by side format. It works really well for me.

:cool:

Last edited:
Flight Planning with Skyview and GTN650

I recently changed my IFR RV6 from analog (2 King navcoms. GX55 IFR GPS, TruTrak Pictorial Pilot and AlTrak) to digital (Dynon Skyview, Com, TXP, ADSB and D6, Garmin GTN 650). My old set-up worked well but I built an RV12 a couple of years ago and liked the Skyview and ADSB enough to upgrade the RV6 as the ?next project?.

After getting the RV6 up and running last Fall I am now trying to learn to use the new stuff. I have watched the Garmin tutorials, gone through the Pilot Workshops manual with the GTN Ipad trainer and watched the Skyview course on YouTube. So I have a start at it. But it is harder than I expected.

To help move things along I am looking for tips on using this combo. The question of the moment is the best way to load and use flight plans. This is in two parts:

1. Making the flight plan. I enjoy flying the airways. With my prior system I would print off the DUATs plans and follow along step by step, checking off progress the DUATs nav log and paper charts. After playing with the Ipad and the map in the GTN it seems to me that the DUATS approach is still good, using the mobile version of Duats on the Ipad and copying the plan to the GTN. I see the airways feature in the GTN will make that easy, entering the airways and exits. Then I can follow along on the GTN instead of with the paper map. I would appreciate your suggestions of better ways to do this ? perhaps Skyview or Ipad maps or other tools for flight planning .

2. Flying the flight plan. With the plan in the GTN I can select the GTN as the source for the plan displayed on the Skyview map.

Then I think I will have three possible sources for the HSI (and the autopilot guidance?) ? GTN GPS, GTN VOR, or Skyview GPS. My inclination is to select the GTN GPS as it is the most reliable, although I plan to tune and monitor the VOR as backup. In practicing ILS approaches I get a GTN message that GPS info is just for monitoring. I am thinking it would be legal to use the GTN GPS as my primary source in route.

I expect there will be real value in following the flight on Skyview and using its features while in route (once I learn about those features). I would appreciate suggestions or tips about using the Skyview features.

This post got longer than I expected. Basically, I am just looking for suggestions in using these systems (the theme of this thread). Thanks for whatever comments you may have.

Here's one that tripped up a buddy flying with my Skyview.

I have dual 7's in the pilot position set up in a PFD on the left and ND/EMS on the right. We start on the full EMS on the right screen and then on taxi add the MAP. If any of the MAP databases are out of date, the MAP won't function until you "accept" that one or more of the databases is out of date.
Make sure a newby knows how to isolate the MAP and accept the out of date message.

Obviously keeping the data up to date is preferred practice, but isn't always practical if someone borrows the plane for a local hop on short notice.

Another one some struggle with is all the stages to turn the autopilot on. We don't yet have the autopilot head, and newby's need to be taught that there are two pathways of three steps.
1: turn on servos. (We just do that at startup).

2: hit the autopilot soft key on PFD

3: engage AP and then assign a function to both track and pitch

Or

2: activate A/P from disconnect button

3: go to autopilot menu and select desired functions.

I have found that the Skyview autopilot works great but engaging it isn't very intuitive for new guys, especially without the control head.

The advantage of having dual screens at the pilot position is that we have four joystick knobs that makes controlling the autopilot fairly easy and why we haven't bothered with the control head.

Last edited:
Fuel Calibration caution

One I found out the hard way last week.

When doing your fuel calibration, DO NOT power down SkyView before exiting the setup screens back to the PFD (or your normal operating screen). Even if you have pressed DONE following the fuel cal.

Doing so will cause SkyView to not save your fuel cal. table and you'll have to do it all over again.

User Waypoint File Header

A few months ago, I created a series of files to allow Australian airports to be shown as User Waypoints on SkyView.

One thing I learned (and promptly forgot when I updated the files this week...) is that there is a specific header that must be included, or the *.CSV file will fail to upload to SkyView.

The pilots guide is not entirely clear, IMHO, that the lack of this particular header will result in a failed upload, so...

If you are attempting to upload a *.CSV file of multiple user waypoints to SkyView, you must have the "Dynon User Waypoints File V1.0" header included in your upload

If you don't, SkyView will reject it. Very annoying if you are at your hangar and don't have a laptop to tweak the file.

Another "not exactly the thrust of the initial post, but..." how many of you Dynon guys installed the smaller side units to tune radios, set headings, etc?
Is it really so challenging to operate within the various Dynon key pathways to set the barometer that it's worth buying the small side unit that gives you direct access to Baro?

Panel planning in progress here.

Another "not exactly the thrust of the initial post, but..." how many of you Dynon guys installed the smaller side units to tune radios, set headings, etc?
Is it really so challenging to operate within the various Dynon key pathways to set the barometer that it's worth buying the small side unit that gives you direct access to Baro?

Panel planning in progress here.

Challenging? No.

I flew about 500 hours without them, then when I went and got my IFR ticket I installed them for use during IFR ops, and man I can tell you they certainly are handy for that. For essentially all VFR ops, no it's not needed. But single-pilot IFR in heavy airspace, it sure is nice to have a dedicated knob for a heading or altitude change.

The Dynon Com panel is not optional if you are using the Dynon Com unit. The Knob and AP panel are optional and all the functions can easily be done from the Dynon screen. The knob panel provides dedicated knobs for 3 of the most used inputs. The AP panel does add a full featured dual-axis trim controller. It can control your electric pitch and/or roll trim motors, replacing the relay decks normally used. trim and the relays necessary for multiple trim inputs. It will also auto trim when the AP is engaged.

I think the knob panel is a must have for bang for the buck personally, flew a few hours without then added and never looked back.

I have AP panel also, which made wiring easier and provided auto trim for AP which is also nice.

Back