What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New (October 2013) LED wingtip landings light discovered

Or, you could try using one of our WigWag units... (click the picture)

There's a bunch of different ways it can be wired up, and eight different flash patterns. No soldering or diodes required!

Or, you could try using one of our WigWag units... (click the picture)

There's a bunch of different ways it can be wired up, and eight different flash patterns. No soldering or diodes required!

I just added Paul's to my installed BAJA lights. No change to the switch, on = steady or switch off-on quickly and it goes into your wigwag pattern selected. Minimal changes, no issues on amperage either. Many more options for other installations too.

Paul,

Super excited to see your company come out with the module.

I have the PAR36 LEDs off amazon mentioned in this thread and attempted to utilize the crazedpilot flasher box. However it works by pulsing the ground of each LED and it turns out these aren't high speed switching capable units. I assume what they meant by that is there is a cap somewhere in the power supply bleeding down and it wouldn't allow the module to work correctly. Very frustrating. Would your design work with these lights?

Last edited:
Dead link

Two years ago I put a pair of Baja Design PAR36 "bulbs" in my C150 and find them just slightly better than incandescents. For the money spent I don't think they're worth it.

For the last few years I've been flying with the flashlight drop-ins in the -6 and like them. Far superior to the Baja's. At night with these lights I've had to land on our grass runway when the PCL box failed and didn't have a problem. There were noise problems initially but that problem has been completely solved.

The drop-ins being now used are these:

http://www.kaidomain.com/p/S025575....Mode-LED-Drop-in-for-TrustFire-3T6-Flashlight

These units, coupled with an adjustable DC-DC converter set to 10.3V, operate noise-free:

http://a.co/eyWVBwd

Noise levels were validated with a spectrum analyzer.

Over the summer we retrofitted these onto a friends RV7 with the stock MR-16 lights in the wingtips. I flew the airplane quite a bit at night before and after and there's a night and day difference (pun intended.)

Bob,
Just going back and re-reading this thread. The upper link for the flash light heads is now dead. Did a search and these choices came up. See below:

http://kaidomain.com/search&search=3T6

Which one is the correct choice? I'm thinking the 2nd from the right??? What is the diameter of one of these flashlight heads?

Charlie

Charlie you are on the right path. 4000K single mode.

Thanks Bob. Reading through, I don't quite have a clear picture regarding the ability of these lights to wig-wag. You say that you simply flash them. Have you [or others] managed to operate them in Wig-Wag mode? If so, is life of the lights severely degraded? Would you recommend the 4000K over the 6000K unit?
When you mount the light heads, do you utilize the threads intended to mount the heads into flashlight bodies?

Charlie

They seem to work fine with a solid state relay wigwag but I haven't flight tested them in that configuration. Otherwise they work fine.

I prefer the 4K.

No I don't utilize the threads.

rzsnHcoN9N3ewfr6KMc6tjzfPKkfF6YKRb3b1qFW-3Fu6IZTHg5bI5lhgyY9oXeRoo8xSf2dLi-4W1RDJB2Inx9T1djX4hXqPHzwOrpd7dUSq99fps0RI_EY5ADx3Y3Mv37-YbFRYOw_KpOtj0VONEt-LK1v5MUVBuocV8wUF-4Y0wA9hGpGlm12pEwIeoxieWO7SwsAUShAJB6o59K9nsHkfQOQn4nfxLS_cLDzbHcdQo95VPKfCf5TtNA2_e_5Cu9TsvYyC5Koj0A99CbVvPdjaPGySiCM6UcJ7-aH4wk9iJdeJTVMJxzSaRpHcjRZwHjPD98G7BICsGxDg39M3j8RVT9j9k1F1MJADxeKJqbMBEWaePHqLRah1zZ_PL95ABV8iDoW-nAEqYfVFqwPqAtmzR_lQ5dFe37QeZIISRtfG5TIwRguVdETIkTRpXDsHwwdIofbXFKdOECyzrChMHPxzWVswR_UEVyPdi0FZK6d5rr1XVs8fPxBxl5iVX1v2naRQgcK32SnrlU-PjU9FKKyK2esHxkw7TZeiUwlft94Z7AtQR1WQzPofZJAolxpZHXrfS6z2Iz1V40Y173kIvH4qkpey_K0yeRQo9zANogJGiI5wnICqz87R227BmyN2cSm0TjpJqcninBsgkX4ZAldRrngTDcq=w600

Back