Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-26-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
The vid showed 110F for the PSRU, and 82F OAT, so not much rise for the temp on that box. It may depend on where the sensor is located.
Charlie said he saw 160F. Mine never gets this hot 3 hours into a flight.

With maybe 20ish hp going through it without a prop, this is hot in my experience if the probe is in the oil.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 433.4 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi2.htm

Old 07-26-2019, 06:04 PM

I will watch that PSRU temp closer on the next run up to try to get a firm grasp of that temp. (I was really more focused on the water temp.) The PSRU temp sensor is at the top of the unit, as the manufacturer suggests. I would suspect it is being splashed with oil that is slung off the top gear, but really that is just my guess based on the location.

My next step is to install that mechanical water pressure gauge. While it wont measure the suction that does occur like Ross said, it will tell me if the system is developing pressure and whether or not the cap is working as it should. I believe that when I hit 212F that I should have seen a rise in the overflow tank as the cap opened. But there was no rise in the level of the overflow tank. Ummm.... The gauge I am using now is a 0-90 psi gauge I had on the shelf. The mechanical one is liquid filled 0-15 psi, which should give me more accurate readings.

Like Bill said there may be air pockets causing cavitation at the pump but Since all 3 sensors are within 10 degrees of each other at any given time my guess is that the flow is probably doing OK. One is on the exit of the head, another at the inlet thermostat housing and the other just prior to the radiator.

Charlie

Last edited by charosenz : 07-26-2019 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:02 PM

Default PSRU only 104 AT 4000 ( But no prop)

I did more extensive run up today. I ran it for about 4 minuts at 2000, and at 3000 and at 4000RPM.

I did some quick videos of the testing. My apologies to Ross. When I said the PSRU temp was 160F I probably misspoke, as I verified today it was only about 104f after several minutes at 4000rpm. By the way. My senses tells me the engine is the smoothest, and happiest at 4000rpm. I think you will agree when you hear it run on the video. It is also super smooth between 1000rpm and 2000rpm. There is some minor vibration between 2000 and about 3200 rpm. Nothing scientific at all. Just a seat of the pants interpretation.

Here is a 33 second clip at 4000rpm.

https://youtu.be/V1DIdcTlTz0

The good news is that oil pressure gauge I have serving as my temporary coolant pressure gauge actually got up to 11psi. You will see it in the video. The part that still seems odd to me is that the overflo coolant did not rise. So I suspect the cap is something higher than 11psi. I wish it was about 5 psi.

All three coolant sensors are typically with 10-12 degrees of each other.

Of course the real testing will begin when I put a prop back on and load up the engine. I need to build some real good chocks for that.

If that goes well I will then put the turbo back on.

Last edited by charosenz : 07-26-2019 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:18 PM

Default more temp testing at 4000 RPM

I did more testing for several minutes each at 2,000, 3,000, and 4000 RPM.

My apologies to Ross when I said the PSRU temp got up to 160F I must have been mistaken, as it never got above 103F today. My mistake.

The good news is that the oil pressure gauge you will see in the video that is actually temporarily serving as my coolant pressure gauge got up to 11 psi. The overflow tank still did not rise, so I suspect the cap is at least an 11 psi ca. I wish it was more like 5 psi.

Here is the link to the new run up to 4000rpm. Its only 33 seconds.

https://youtu.be/V1DIdcTlTz0

All three coolant sensors were usually within 10-12 degrees of each other at all times.

The engine seems the smoothest at 3800-4100. It settles down in to a very sweet hummmm. Just my seat of the pants feel. You may also get that impression when you watch the video.

Again, I do not have the prop on the plan so it is really not working at all. The radiator has zero flow over it as well.

Once I get sometime to pull the panel and change out that faulty volt gauge and add the mechanical coolant pressure gauge Ill build some sterdy chocks and start testing with the old prop I have. See what things look like at 4500 rpm with 20 degrees pitch on the prop.

I am also going to watch the reference voltage on the GM map sensor I have and see it compares to the EOM integral map sensor. If I can use the OEM one, it makes plubming the MAP lines much easier. It will be interesting to see if it either of them gets up to 5.0v at 25-30 inches.....if so Ill have to go to a 2 bar map sensor when I start adding boost. but that will probably be some tweaking on the programming in the ECU. Oh well, that is actually fun to me.

Charlie

Charlie
Old 07-27-2019, 06:23 AM

Yes, these temps are in line and it sounds super smooth in the vid.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 433.4 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi2.htm

Old 07-29-2019, 07:15 AM

I just got back from OSH and see I missed the intial engine start.

Congratulations on this accomplishment. I'm following your efforts with keen interest.

Just a thought... sometimes when building an airplane a pilot lets his air skills deminish and then when the time comes to fly new creation the pilot may not be up to the task. With your engine now running on the airframe it may be time to tune-up and polish the pilot. It would be good to have recent time in same model prior to fist flight so memory items, sight picture, etc. become very familiar and attention can be focused on new engine while flying performace of airplane remains safe.
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC July 2012 N633CM
RV-12 Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 475

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father & CFI) - 1st Lt. Captain B-17H

Last edited by Piper J3 : 07-29-2019 at 07:29 AM.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
I just got back from OSH and see I missed the intial engine start.

Congratulations on this accomplishment. I'm following your efforts with keen interest.

Just a thought... sometimes when building an airplane a pilot lets his air skills deminish and then when the time comes to fly new creation the pilot may not be up to the task. With your engine now running on the airframe it may be time to tune-up and polish the pilot. It would be good to have recent time in same model prior to fist flight so memory items, sight picture, etc. become very familiar and attention can be focused on new engine while flying performace of airplane remains safe.
Jim (sorry I first wrote Bill).

That is funny that you mentioned getting current. My wife just said the same thing tonight! I absolutely am going to do that. I have been putting it but I am getting closer to that point. I do need to get a few more things done before I feel I can commit to flying part of this hobby but it is not too far off.

Last edited by charosenz : 07-29-2019 at 08:49 PM.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:42 PM

Default cooling suprise

Well I installed my "test" prop. It is a used 68" (corrected typo was 60) warp drive prop that I bought for a very good price. (I love the prop and I wished they may a higher HP version I would buy it in a minute.)

I ran it up to 4000 RPM and got a very good surprise. While I was only pulling 20-25 inches of MAP, I could not get it warmer than about 175 degrees. I was very surprised that the prop wash provided that much cooling effect on the radiator. I do not have the plenum around the radiator. Before, with no prop on it; no load, no cooling prop wash, the coolant temp would get up to 230F in about 10 -15 minutes. I have the prop at max pitch, 20.5 degrees. I can't make it work any harder. I the last time I had it running on the test stand, 5000 RPM would get me close to 30" MAP. In the end, I would like to see 40" - 45" of MAP at 4500-4800 RPM with the turbo on it.

I need a bigger prop. I just started to look at other props. I do have a limited budget so I am looking at a 72" two bladed whirlwind, and the 3 bladed 72"-74" IVO Magnum and the 72" DUC Flash-R.

I think with a 72" or 74" prop, especially if it was a 3 blade, I would see 40+" at 4500 which I believe translates to an output of approximately 170+HP at that speed.

Comments welcome.

Charlie

Last edited by charosenz : 07-29-2019 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charosenz View Post
Jim (sorry I first wrote Bill).

That is funny that you mentioned getting current. My wife just said the same thing tonight!
Smart woman there....
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC July 2012 N633CM
RV-12 Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 475

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father & CFI) - 1st Lt. Captain B-17H
Old 08-02-2019, 10:44 PM

Default Increased run up to 30" MAP at 4800

I ran the engine with the prop on it up to 30" MAP which was 4700-4800RPM. Of course since I do not have the turbo on it right now, this was the limit for this engine. I also had installed the thermostat to see how that would change the temps.

Here are some notes. Please know these are rough notes and may not be spot on. It is a bit harry to be running at that RPM on a ground test tethered to my truck. Note taking was not my priority during that 6-7 minute period at that RPM.

My notes....engine ran up to 4800 RPM. 30 in of manifold at 4800 RPM. Water coolant temperature at 225F on hot side of system, and after about 6-8 minutes the temps were rising fast enough that I needed to throttle back.
This is no suprise to me considered we were on the ground. Water temperature on cool side 209. At 4000 RPM I saw 24 in manifold pressure. PSRU temperature 110 -115 degrees at 4500 RPM. OAT was about 76F. Throttle was at 95% at 4800 RPM. Increase throttle did not increase RPM after 4700-4800 RPM.

The Thermostat did its job but I am not convinced it is really a benefit, except for maybe in the very coldest period of the year. The temps without the thermostat are closer on the hot and cold side and lower over all. It is important to know that this is all based on ground run up with no radiator shroud. Flight with a shroud, will be completely different.

I believe that with my current set up I could run at about 22"-25" of MAP and the system would run all day with no problems of over heating.

The Prop is a 68" WARP drive 3 blade tapered tip.

Here is a link to the run up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXo-FL7-Xzw

I am very happy with these numbers. My plan is to get a 72" prop to get the static "limit" down to about 3800, then add turbo to be able to get about 40" at 4500-4800 RPM. I really just don't like working the PSRU faster than that. That is not a limit the manufacturer has, it is just me.

The engine is probably putting out about 130-145 HP at 30". I believe 5-7 lbs of boost will get me close to the 160-170HP I desire. Of course it will also help considerably at higher altitudes.

Charlie