What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

assistance getting out of tip up

Frank N821BF

I'm currently having difficulty getting out of my 9A tip up due to a hip injury. Has anyone developed an assist handle or bar to help them get out of the cockpit. Also, has anyone improved on the tip up opening wider. I hear that the 14 does not use the side gas struts. Does anyone have any feed back on that? Thanks for any info.

Frank

Thanks Al, after 8 1/2 years with the 9 I use a very simular technique. Dale, thanks "creative crutches" may help.

Last edited:
Technique

Not sure if this will help as I do not know how you get in and out but here is the technique I instruct my passengers to use.
Put your arms on the seat back to lift yourself out of the seat.
Get your heel from your right foot between the seats ensuring to miss the fuel valve.
Lift yourself so you are sitting on the seat back.
Put your arms on the roll bar and stand up with your weight on your right foot.
Swing your left leg out of the cockpit and place it on the wing.
Continue the rest of the way out.
The reason I gave the whole technique is because I have watched people struggle who don't listen to my technique and one of the biggest mistakes that most make is to try to swing their leg out while still sitting on the seat back. This I could see being a problem with a bad hip as it is difficult for any except the most flexible.

Hope this helps and I didn't just explain the technique you are already using.

Good luck,Al

May 3 broke my hip

just below the branch. Had surgery the next day; full length rod and 2 90x8 mm screws that close the break and end in the ball of the femur. Surgeon said the leg (left) would be full weight bearing immediately after the surgery. I have a slider and sit on the wing 1st. Then use a 10" stack of closed cell foam squares to raise my right hand while I go to a standing position. 1st flight 3 weeks after break with safety pilot. I found a way to balance on bad leg while I step in with right leg. Since my knee is still stiff I have to lean toward right seat to get left foot in. I am thin and have good upper body strength or this would not work. I am careful not to rotate much at the left hip as a third of the hip muscles are very weak despite lots of physical therapy. I had spotters the 1st 2 times I got in and out. A few creative "crutches" are key, like the stack on the wing. Take it a step at a time and look for crutches to make it safer.
Good luck and stay safe!

Back