What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12iS Video

Awesome, thanks for posting...

? When you panned the cockpit, was that a PTT button on the co-pilots side of the panel? If so, what's on the stick?

Yes, as far as I could see there was 3 PTT, one on the panel, pilots stick and copilots stick, activated my your index finger.

When giving dual flight instruction it is very nice to have a PTT separate from the sticks. Nothing like trying to hit the button when the student is jockeying the stick.:D

Great video, thanks!

I wonder why those guys at the beginning are rubbing on that beautiful paint job :confused:

Great video, thanks!

I wonder why those guys at the beginning are rubbing on that beautiful paint job :confused:
They might have been feeling a few runs in the paint I noticed upon close examination at Osh (didn't diminish my lust for the airplane one iota!).

Now that somebody mentioned it… there was several paint runs on the RV-12iS. My guess is Vans ran short of time to get this airplane ready for Oshkosh.

This is on the left wing –

29mviap.png

It was pretty noticeable on the wings, and there was some "tiger striping" on the rear top fuselage. But, given the very tight time frame Van's had to get the plane ready for the Kitplanes photo shoot and Oshkosh, it's not surprising that things had to be a little rushed. Perfect paint takes time that I'm guessing they just didn't have. Still, it is a gorgeous paint scheme and looks great.

Fair disclosure: I only really saw the runs and stuff because I look closely. I look closely because the paint quality on my own plane is so poor (I can't take the blame for it, fortunately). I check out others to see how it's done right in case I decide to re-do it myself.

It was pretty noticeable on the wings, and there was some "tiger striping" on the rear top fuselage. But, given the very tight time frame Van's had to get the plane ready for the Kitplanes photo shoot and Oshkosh, it's not surprising that things had to be a little rushed. Perfect paint takes time that I'm guessing they just didn't have. Still, it is a gorgeous paint scheme and looks great.

Fair disclosure: I only really saw the runs and stuff because I look closely. I look closely because the paint quality on my own plane is so poor (I can't take the blame for it, fortunately). I check out others to see how it's done right in case I decide to re-do it myself.

Thanks Dale (says the guy who actually painted it).

The airplane was built in 10 weeks from start to first flight.
I will claim that the runs on the wings occurred during one of the 16 hour non stop paint sessions that went until 11 PM at night.

I also really like the pattern. It is not real "busy."
I hope they offer it in an assortment of attractive color combinations.
Only time will tell.

Last edited:
I'm looking at the iS, as an SLSA and would hope they update the paint options for the iS. Hopefully by October....

Very unlikely that we will see the SLSA this year. More likely first quarter of next year

I've been told by several at AirVenture that Van's hopes to have pricing on the SLSA by October and getting kits out about that time. Deliveries of production A/C is as you stated. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks Dale (says the guy who actually painted it).

The airplane was built in 10 weeks from start to first flight.
I will claim that the runs on the wings occurred during one of the 16 hour non stop paint sessions that went until 11 PM at night.

The color selection and scheme are nicely done.

Back