What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tire Inflation with Wheel Pants

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
I am about to cut some holes in the wheel pants for tire inflation, and could not find any measurements thru the search forums. Did anyone record the measurements when they drilled their hole?

Laser

Use a laser pointer of some kind. Block or jack up the plane with the pants off. Then, set a laser pointer at the valve stem and put the pants on. The laser will still be pointing at the valve stem.

Use a laser pointer of some kind. Block or jack up the plane with the pants off. Then, set a laser pointer at the valve stem and put the pants on. The laser will still be pointing at the valve stem.

Okay......but what orientation is the wheel/valve stem to be placed at?? Or better yet...clock position?

Not a good idea

I drilled holes in my wheel pants for using an extension to check pressures and then, 3 or 4 years later, I replaced the tubes and tires and guess what? The new tubes have stems that point in a way different direction and nothing lines up anymore.

The old tubes and the new tubes were the same manufacturer part number bought from Van's.

Now I have useless holes in my wheel fairings. Not a big deal, but heck.:(

I drilled holes in my wheel pants for using an extension to check pressures and then, 3 or 4 years later, I replaced the tubes and tires and guess what? The new tubes have stems that point in a way different direction and nothing lines up anymore.

The old tubes and the new tubes were the same manufacturer part number bought from Van's.

Tony,

I had the same thing happen!:(:(:(

Similar experience. I haven't changed tires yet, but I found the valve stems are not perpendicular to the wheel so screwing an extension on to inflate the tires through my carefully aligned holes is almost impossible. Easier although more time-consuming to take the back half of the pants off. At least you can check the tires properly as well as the brake pads.

Wow as always, thanks guys. I had the spring flip doors on order since I was sure I would lose the snap plugs with my fumble fingers. I also will be changing tubes since these leak so badly. I might just do it the hard way until I upgrade tubes. I had also noticed the valve stems not coming out straight, but to an angle, making it hard to screw on an extension.

I cut holes in my wheel pants. Then I found out that the extensions I bought to use with the holes won't attach since the ends swivel. So I still have to take half the wheel pants off to check the tire pressure. The whole thing has been kind of a bummer.

Desser Leak Guards.
They are a little heavier (thicker), but it is well worth paying a little more for them.

I agree with Driftdown and SMO. It takes a few minutes to take off your wheel pants a few times a year. Then, not only can you check your air pressure, you can inspect your brake pads, lines, etc... which you should be doing anyway.

Hole placement

My hole in the wheel pant is in the front half about an inch and a half forward of the axle screw, not there to measure. I have never had a problem putting air in and I have had different tubes in the tire.

I'm with Jon and Driftdown. I fill my tires to the high end of the acceptable range at annual and end up doing it once more about 6 months later. A bit of a PITA, but manageable.

Back