What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Part number Question

thoma015

Well Known Member
Hey all,

Im working on my elevators and noticed its missing E-00001A/B. I looked at "the list" on vans site and I can only find the inboard hinge doubler. Have these part numbers changed or are they the same size? I attached the drawling for clarification. Also, notice it shows the lock nut goes between the inboard doubler and the spar. I assume this is incorrect.

Last edited:
Hey all,

Im working on my elevators and noticed its missing E-00001A/B. I looked at "the list" on vans site and I can only find the inboard hinge doubler. Have these part numbers changed or are they the same size? I attached the drawling for clarification. Also, notice it shows the lock nut goes between the inboard doubler and the spar. I assume this is incorrect.

Drawing error as you guessed. The jam nut is installed as shown in the outer (RH in pic) bearing, not as shown on the inner bearing(LH in pic)

Drawing error as you guessed. The jam nut is installed as shown in the outer (RH in pic) bearing, not as shown on the inner bearing(LH in pic)

Thanks, I figured that was a error. Any idea of the part number for e-00001a/B? I can only find the inner bracket on Vans.

Sorry, but mine doesn't have that part on the plans. However it looks like the sort of thing Vans would have you make. Check on the left and right HS plans and make sure there isn't a call out that instructs you on how to make it from a piece of stock they sent in the kit.

Those parts are part of the service bulletin 14-02-05 so folks with older kits may or may not have installed them. That depends on the inspection for cracks. Based on your post your kit was purchased after February 2014 so they may be in the kit now. Look at the service bulletin on Vans website for more information on this particular SB. Contact Vans to let them know if you can not find them.

For future reference if you are unsure about whether it is a part you fabricate or one that shipped with the kit (or subkit) go to section 4 of your build manual. That contains a list of all the parts you will be using. It is listed alphabetic by part number. If you go to page two you will see E-00001, look to the right and you will see manufactured. In other words Vans made it. If it says material, you will be fabricating it.

So if you look further down the page for E-721 the trim tab hinge, to the right it says material AN257-P2. You will make it out of that type of piano hinge.

Thanks for that. I purchased a older kit and a newer construction manual so that's why mine is all jacked up.

SB for HS

There's a service bulletin for the spar on the horizontal stabilizer also, so make sure you keep your eye out for that if you have an older kit. It's SB 14-01-31.
Cheers,
Tom.

Back