What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which side to put the Rivet Manufactured Head

thoma015

Well Known Member
All,

I may have missed it, but in less obvious places how do i know what side to put the manufactured head. For instance im working on the HS and I put the manufactured head on the forward side. I have seen build logs do it both ways so im not sure which way its supposed to be? The 4 in the center fit flush to the fuse so they are counter sunk on the aft side...Any help for a rookie would be greatly appreciated.
[URL=http://s1207.photobucket.com/user/Thoma015/media/Mobile%20Uploads/RV-7%20Build%20Emp/IMG_20160321_193353063.jpg.html][/URL]

In general, I believe the manufactured head goes on the side with the thinner material. Understanding that many times this isn't practical, I don't think it often makes a real difference.

Chris

Structurally it doesn't matter.

Often it's easier to get a good joint with the factory head on the thinner part. Sometimes, thinking ahead to possibly wanting to replace the rivet for any reason, one side or the other would be easier or more reliable.

Dave

If you set the shop head on the side with thinner metal, the force of squeezing the rivet can pucker the flange. You will get a neater joint if you use the manufactured head on the thinnest piece. Sometimes this is impossible because of the way pieces fit together, but it's a good practice. If you have a copy of Section 5 of the Vans build manual, I think it's explained in there, along with a bunch of other good tips.

Also for rivet removal

I second the advice given. Try to keep the manufactured head on the thinnest material for all the reasons given above. I find that this also is great advantage whenever you have to occasionally remove a rivet. I typically use a punch to remove my rivets after I've drilled the factory head off. When the thicker material is on the bottom there is less risk of deforming the material when punching out the rivet as opposed to the other way.

Last edited:
Back