What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Horizontal Stabilizer build help

thoma015

Well Known Member
[URL=http://s1207.photobucket.com/user/Thoma015/media/Mobile%20Uploads/RV-7%20Build%20Emp/IMG_20151214_175709182.jpg.html][/URL]

What you are looking at is the forward spar. Take a look at the lower (actually upper, but the piece is flipped) splice angle and you can see my screw up. The far left top hole was after I drilled from the back and got too close to the edge.

I then drilled the lower hole, can i salvage this and use the second lower hole next to the bad hole?

Here is a picture of the other side

[URL=http://s1207.photobucket.com/user/Thoma015/media/Mobile%20Uploads/RV-7%20Build%20Emp/IMG_20151214_175656631_1.jpg.html][/URL]

Bad hole

My answer would be no. The bad hole has no edge distance and potential for a failure.

Order new parts

I would also agree with Wirejock. That's a no on the salvage. Call it a learning experience and order new parts. It's an area subject to some stress so I wouldn't take chances. It's a tricky spot for a new builder, but fortunately new parts are relatively inexpensive.

Assuming that's an RV7/7A, its about $80 in parts (New HS-702, HS-710, HS-00001, 00005 and 00006). As you can tell I know the part numbers off by heart now so I've been in your position just a few times. About 6 hours of labor and you will be back to where you were.

Last edited:
Agree with both Larry and Garet. This is not repair or salvage condition, it is a replace condition.

We all have a pile of parts, it is part of the learning experience!

Salvage

I would also agree with Wirejock. That's a no on the salvage. Call it a learning experience and order new parts. It's an area subject to some stress so I wouldn't take chances. It's a tricky spot for a new builder, but fortunately new parts are relatively inexpensive.

Assuming that's an RV7/7A, its about $80 in parts (New HS-702, HS-710, HS-00001, 00005 and 00006). As you can tell I know the part numbers off by heart now so I've been in your position just a few times. About 6 hours of labor and you will be back to where you were.

Yea. Don't fret. I had to completely disassemble my HS and replace all the skeleton parts for one egg shaped hole. HS SB was not kind to me. Good news is I'm really good at drilling out rivets now.:D

I figured thats what everyone would say.
Just for info, why wouldn't a doubler on top of the splice angle and on the backside on the rib flange not be a viable option?
thanks,
-Hawk

Hawk, I see in your profile that you are an AF Engineer. I are (was) one to. :)

Doubler fix; how thick, what material, what temper, how many rivets and what size, what are the interactions that could be induced by an added doubler (could certainly alter the load path)?

When I was a working stiff, we had standard repairs (controlled/documented) that could be used for most simple common repairs. But when it came to structural or something similar it was off to the stress guys to run their models. Just saying.

Oh yea, forgot about the HS SB, egged a couple of holes on that one!

What if

One of the aeronautical engineers on this site may be best suited to accurately answer that. Sometimes adding a doubler to one area may appear to make that area stronger, but change the dynamics of the original design. I recall adding doublers to wing slat ribs to old Dc-9 /727 using the SRM for crack repairs only to see different cracks years later in an area that wouldn't crack without the repair. We would use alum doublers one size thicker than existing ribs, stainless at ½ the thickness, even titanium. Every change or repair had a consequence.
Cj

Agree with both Larry and Garet. This is not repair or salvage condition, it is a replace condition.

We all have a pile of parts, it is part of the learning experience!

Learning experience, no joke! Here's a shot of my current junk bin, tucked behind the band saw in the shop. Some of this is simply tailings from making parts, but some are screw-ups, or "I don't really like how that turned out" parts. (Bonus points to those who can ID the banished pieces!)

Fortunately, aluminum's pretty cheap, and Van's stocks all the popular sizes of sheet and angle ;-)

28v8x8y.jpg

(And, I had to do the HS SB-14-01-31 mod, after it was all done and buttoned up. Even had to fab the HS-00001 doublers after I messed up the edge distance on one. Turned out that I had in stock raw material ... from another mess-up! Don't throw anything out.)

Last edited:
I had a similar issue, but my edge distance issue was on the HS-00005. Although Ken said it would be OK, I was not happy with the edge distance, so I replaced the parts. An expensive mistake when you are in Australia! But peace of mind this early in the build while I am still learning.

Joe

Thanks for all the feedback. Ken at Vans said i could just replace the angle iron but like you all said its not that much more to just replace all the parts and have that peace of mine. So i did....

again thanks for helping me see the light!

Back