What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTP 59 Probe Location?

Mountain Time

After 14 years with the original panel, my 6 is down for installation of a G3X Touch/GTN650 system from SteinAir. One initial task is figuring out where to install the GTP 59 OAT probe. My current sensor is installed through the R fuselage side, under the wing fairing forward of the main spar, but it has always tended to read higher than actual in that location.

What are people recommending for the GTP 59? My sense is that maybe moving it outboard, to a location inside the access panel for the aileron bellcrank would be a good option. But I'd really appreciate input on "known good" locations from those who have been there before me ;-

I'm a frequent reader on VAF but rarely post here - I have a feeling that's going to be changing as I get further into this project! :)

Based on VAF research and wisdom, I'm planning on installing my OAT in the middle of the inboard inspection plate on the bottom of the wing ... no actual flight data yet.

Anyone else have flight data?

The bottom of the wing outside of the prop slipstream is ideal for the probe. If you are retrofitting the G3X and adding a GAP 26 AOA probe, it works really well to plug the existing hole from your old pitot probe with the GTP 59. My GTP 59 is located in this location and is very accurate.

Here is the GTP 59 guidance from the installation manual:

• Do not mount the GTP 59 where aircraft exhaust gases will flow over it.
  • Do not mount the GTP 59 where it would be affected by heated air from the engine or exhaust. On
    most aircraft this includes any location downstream of the engine compartment.
  • The GTP 59 must be exposed to the outside airflow. Do not mount the GTP 59 in a sheltered
    location where it is not exposed to outside airflow (for example, inside a wing or landing gear
    bay).
  • For best results, do not mount the GTP 59 where it will be directly heated by the sun when the
    aircraft is parked.

Thanks,
Levi

.. Looks like I'm moving mine now to the outer inspection plate. Thanks G3Xperts!

Thanks Levi! Of course, I already have the install manual and if I'd just read that section a bit more carefully . . . d'oh! You guys on the G3X support team are a great resource here on VAF. Probe will go on the R wing inspection plate.

Levi is the man.

Just as Levi has said. We put ours just inside the first outboard inspection plate in the left wing. this puts it under the wing, so it is in the shade and just outside the slip-stream for engine heat, prop wash. It also lets us run the wire inside and up to the back of the panel where our AHDR is located and not have to cut or splice the original wire run from the probe. Just what we found, it is your call on this one. Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888

Mine will be going right in that area either in the inspection cover itself or the bottom skin just to either side. My 6 has just the one inspection panel per wing. Will be nice to have accurate temp data :)

I?ll be having to run wiring for the NAV antenna going in the wingtip anyway, so this won?t be any extra burden. Sure wish I?d had more foresight back in the late 90s - early 2000s when I was in there the first time! :rolleyes:

Back