What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X Dimmer Input

lr172

Well Known Member
I plan to use a simple rheostat for a dimmer circuit, but need to size it appropriately. Can anyone tell me the typical current consumed on the lighting bus input for the G3X components?

I assume that they are a control circuit and only grabbing the voltage level and therefore a very low current drain.

Also curious about the 430W and SL40as well, if known.

Larry

Last edited:
I installed the panel dimmer from Vans: Part Number = ES DIMMER, LAMP 1.5A.

It dims both screens of my 2 screen non-touch G3X system and works well.

I plan to use a simple rheostat for a dimmer circuit, but need to size it appropriately. Can anyone tell me the typical current consumed on the lighting bus input for the G3X components?

I assume that they are a control circuit and only grabbing the voltage level and therefore a very low current drain.

Also curious about the 430W and SL40as well, if known.

Larry

The G3X and GTN lighting buses are a control voltage only, basically zero current drain.

I think the Gamin install docs call for a 0-10k ohm knob.

Larry, I'm about to do the same thing but I'm adding to an existing installation. :eek:

I think the Gamin install docs call for a 0-10k ohm knob.

Larry, I'm about to do the same thing but I'm adding to an existing installation. :eek:

If you do any lighting components on the bus, be sure to size the pot to the appropriate wattage draw on the circuit.

Larry

I utilized the GAD27 for my lighting control, and the 10k pot I paired with it was the miniature linear rotary pot from sparkfun. It's compact, has a good feel and works great.
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9939
Don't forget to purchase a knob with it.
I only used it for the LED lighting strip, as I am controlling everything else (GDU460, Aera 660, G5, GTN etc.) via inbuilt photo cells and that seems to work great, and save a bunch of wiring.
The only issue I found was that it needs to be rotated counterclockwise to increase brightness, which is not intuitive compared to how one would increase the volume on a radio. I looked in the configuration menu so see how I could possibly change this, however there doesn't seem to be an option I can find. Just keep this in mind when you are labeling your panel.
Tom.

Back