What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X database install time?

RV12JT

Well Known Member
Well, I've got operating update 6.20 loaded with no issues. Now I have to upload the latest NAV and Map databases into my plane. I;m told this can be a lengthy procedure. Should I put the battery on the battery tender? I've got dual screens. This will be the first full database update.

What say the collective?...thanks

Well, I've got operating update 6.20 loaded with no issues. Now I have to upload the latest NAV and Map databases into my plane. I;m told this can be a lengthy procedure. Should I put the battery on the battery tender? I've got dual screens. This will be the first full database update.

What say the collective?...thanks

I forget which database, but it took about 15 min. I use a 13.8 volt DC power supply for updates and hangar flying to learn and/or set up the panel. It typically sits at about 8 amps.

Yes it can take some time. The Nav database is quick but the flight charts and IFR/VFR charts take some time and it depends on how much of the available area you select.

In my experience it can take 15-30 minutes. If you have multiple screens you can save some time by updating them at the same time from multiple cards.

I use a ground power supply to power my panel without the master turned on.

FYI. A battery tender/charger is not the same as a ground power supply. A ground power supply provides a clean power output. A battery charger output is not a clean power source.

Unless you have a real gound power supply, load your databases using just your battery. I've done this many times.

If you feels you want to "top off" your battery after loading the DB's, connect the charger afterwards.

FYI. A battery tender/charger is not the same as a ground power supply. A ground power supply provides a clean power output. A battery charger output is not a clean power source.

Unless you have a real gound power supply, load your databases using just your battery. I've done this many times.

If you feels you want to "top off" your battery after loading the DB's, connect the charger afterwards.

Thanks all, especially Rick for your imput. It?s greatly appreciated.

Pick up some faster SD cards. Won't help a ton on the plane, but will help when loading in the computer. I think using fast cards cut about 10 minutes off the load time. Still takes a little under a half hour for all of the charts.

I do our dual G3X (GDU460) first, then when they complete I start the GTN650 because it only takes a minute or two and then I'm not running the full avionics on battery.

I only select the VFR charts in a 6 state (or so) area unless I know I'm going somewhere far. I see no reason to wait around while it loads charts for the entire US. These are chosen during the database selection portion of the update on the PC.

Hangar flying.

It is nice to be able to jump in the seat and work on your panel skills or load information into a CPU, from time to time. We use an old trick. With a ground power plug mounted just to the rear of the oil fill door, on top of the engine mount. We have a set of jumper cables made from #4 arc wedding cable, with good automotive type clamps on one end and a Cessna plug on the other end. The cables length is about 15-18 feet. We first started using this jumper arraignment with old Cessna's that sat for a long time. We could park a car off the end of the wing, open he hood and stretch out the cable, in order to charge the battery in the aircraft without getting in the way of the aircraft. After you put a good enough charge in the battery, you could start the engine in the bird and have the aircraft warm up and ready to go. Then someone would pull the plug at the aircraft, roll-up the cables and close the car hood. You go fly for a hour and come back and park at the same place, without having to move the car or truck. We have found that using the same cables rolled up under a bench beside an aircraft parked in the hangar work very well for hangar flying. We put a good but used car battery at the bench end of the cables and a 10 Amp automatic charger on that battery. We can just plug the charger in to the wall outlet any time we want to hangar fly or top off the aircraft battery and just roll out the cable and plug into the aircraft ground port. Even with the panel fired up we don't quite use 10 Amps and the other battery in the set-up acts as a buffer. I also like the fact that if we are going for a long hall, say like to KOSH for a week, we an roll up the cables and stow them in baggage somewhere. This is the same thing the big birds do when they pull up to the gate or that you do with a boat when you plug into Shore Power.

Just an idea as you will like to hangar fly a lot while getting used to your panel or just practicing your programs Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888

Last edited:
Back