- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2018, 04:06 PM

Default Yes

We are, but need to finish up flight test first. We also plan to have all of the information available on our new website flyonspeed.org when we get that up and running!
Old 09-19-2018, 04:55 PM

Hi Vac,
Great work you and the team are doing?
Will the new digital to analog sound be available to the 1st Gen aoa?
And how long do you think it will be before 2nd Gen is out?
Thanks
Dale
Old 09-19-2018, 05:46 PM

Vac,

Selfish request: please, please, please keep the GRT interface in your track while scan.
RV-6A bought flying
Old 09-19-2018, 07:22 PM

Nice work, Vac. A very impressive project. Glad you included the segment demonstrating the sound in a 'normal' cockpit.
paid 'til 10-18
Old 09-20-2018, 04:28 PM

This is the best informative video I've ever seen. Posting mainly to have a placard to come back to for reading everything in here.

What AoA system is this?
Race #51
KCXO
Old 09-21-2018, 06:04 AM

Default Replies

Dale,

Yes, we are looking at adding "analog" tone to the Gen 1 code. We are working hard on Gen 2 now, have some more flight testing to do, and since this is a hobby project, we don't have a specific timeline I'd be happy if we have a mature circuit design and good code by Oshkosh time next summer so we have something to brief! As soon as we validate the AOA algorithm, we'll post the design and code on GitHub.

Since the components are so inexpensive, we have added an accelerometer pad that will provide future growth capability for additional overload warning. We want to experiment with 3 dimensional G sensing to provide asymmetric over-G warning (another great McDonnell concept used in the F-15) in addition to the aural AOA tone. We are also going to experiment with wing skin sensor ports (ala AFS stand alone AOA systems) and wireless sensors as well to determine what's in the art of the doable.

Mike,

GRT is in the TWS volume (i.e., in our cross-check), but the Gen 2 box is going to be a better option if we crack that nut!

Carl,

Thanks. We'll post a similar video with the new "analog" tone as soon as we get our test airplane modified and I have some time. Interestingly, Lenny (one of our world-class, way smart engineering types) came up with a way for me to actually adjust the wave pattern in the software, so what we are using now matches the sound of my piano. I figured that's a reasonable analog place to start.

It never occurred to me when we started this project that the tone itself would be an issue (guess I had flown with it too long and was simply biased), but we'll make sure there are user definable options (including a null tone, i.e., no sound when ONSPEED, although I would argue that operationally this isn't a good idea since the pilot does not receive continuous feedback) in Gen 2.

Johnnie,

We built the tone generator. The one in the video receives an AOA signal from a Dynon EFIS through serial output. Our "box" processes that signal and generates the tone pattern for the pilot. If you go back through this thread or search ONSPEED or ON SPEED (there's no right way to spell that) it might give you some more insight. We are now working on a 2nd generation box that will measure AOA and provide the tone. Our designs and software are posted on GitHub for folks that want to build one and we are standing up our own web site (flyonspeed.org) to consolidate all of our resources. We're also going to remain active here on the safety page.

All,

Our primary objective with the Gen 2 box is to eliminate or minimize calibration tasks for the pilot. Our biggest lesson learned is how varied commercial AOA system algorithms are, what the limitations of those algorithms are and that the average pilot has a difficult time getting the Dynon AOA system "dialed in." With the Dynon EFIS AOA display, it is essentially impossible to exactly replicate a calibration twice in the same airplane, using identical technique, under identical conditions. Simultaneously calibrating two identical EFIS (DY-10A's) even produced different results for each unit.

I have to point out the Dynon system does exactly what it's designed to do: provide excellent progressive stall warning. Turns out we were simply asking too much of that system to provide accurate AOA for ONSPEED or L/Dmax conditions with every calibration.

ONSPEED and L/Dmax only come into play when you use AOA to actually fly the airplane and assist with energy management as opposed to simply avoiding the aerodynamic (stall) limit. Besides demonstrating the utility of the tone logic, our other big objective is to provide educational resources so folks can develop a better understanding of how flying AOA not only helps avoid loss of control, but can really simplify precise control (energy management) of the airplane.

Cheers,

Vac

Last edited by Vac : 09-21-2018 at 06:08 AM.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vac View Post
Johnnie,

We built the tone generator. The one in the video receives an AOA signal from a Dynon EFIS through serial output. Our "box" processes that signal and generates the tone pattern for the pilot. If you go back through this thread or search ONSPEED or ON SPEED (there's no right way to spell that) it might give you some more insight. We are now working on a 2nd generation box that will measure AOA and provide the tone. Our designs and software are posted on GitHub for folks that want to build one and we are standing up our own web site (flyonspeed.org) to consolidate all of our resources. We're also going to remain active here on the safety page.

Cheers,

Vac
Yes, last night I went through this entire post and realized what you were doing. I may be a bit of a simpleton, but I think the system in your video is perfect and wouldn't change a thing. When I read that it was an open source project, I was even more elated. I built a Stratux box a few years back and am still using and loving it. I will very soon be building one of your AoA tone systems to add to my -4. I am planning a GRT panel and will now likely add a small used Dynon box to run the tone (unless I can research and find out if it will work on the Sport EX that I plan on buying).

Thanks again for your innovation. Things like this make us all safer pilots. Now to hit the github and Amazon!!

Johnnie
Race #51
KCXO
Old 09-21-2018, 06:23 AM

Johnnie,

Drop a line or PM when you're ready and we'll help you with integration. If you are just starting your avionics upgrade, you might just want to hold out for Gen 2 and skip the Dynon D-10 unless it's going to be your back-up ADHRS source (it's a great EFIS for that purpose). It should theoretically work with the GRT serial output, but I don't think we'll be upgrading the code since we are going down the Gen 2 path instead--it's a better universal solution than trying to accommodate multiple manufacturer's outputs.

Cheers,

Vac

Last edited by Vac : 09-21-2018 at 06:25 AM.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:47 AM

I have been using the first gen AOA for well over a year now and can't say enough good things about it. Just recently I went for a flight and didn't have it turned on, thought I made a good pattern but upon analyzing the dynon data realized making the base to final turn my onspeed aoa would have been beeping the Hi-Tone and I never even realized it, thought I was making a good pattern looking at my air speed.

Vac,
I can't wait to see what you and your team come up with in the future.
I'm sure it will be well worth the wait
Thanks again,
Dale
Old 10-09-2018, 03:28 PM

Hello my name is Jeff, I am a repeat offender, RV-7A RV-12, and I am addicted to my AOA Onspeed tone! Now that we have that out of the way. I am a beta tester for the Onspeed AOA project.

Just thought I would update the flying community. I have been flying with the Onspeed AOA for about 5 hours. We are on Version 2 of the software. Most of my time has been TO and Landings. I am getting dialed into the device and I love the way it works. I have heard there is a new generation in the works and I am looking forward to beta testing it as well.

If you are not familiar with this project go to Post 1 and start reading!
West Chester Pa

[COLOR="rgb(46, 139, 87)"]=VAF= Paid up 2018[/color]