What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Luggage area shelf

Jonathan Alvord

Well Known Member
I have recently started flying Pilots N Paws and felt like for the larger animals it would be nice to have a shelf over the luggage area to contain them while flying. It would also benefit me while traveling with wife and my dogs to put them in the bottom and the luggage above. Anyone have any pictures of something like this? Any ideas?
Im thinking a reinforced 1/4" ply could easily lay over the back area but may need some support for small suit cases, as well as some bungee attachments for small suitcases.

Jon

Hat Shelf

Many production planes have a upper baggage shelf arrangement and it?s usually palcarded for a small weight limit or ?Soft Items Only?. Be careful with luggage or whatever get placed higher than floor level. Saw a Bonanza that went off the end of the runway and came to a sudden stop from about 20 mph. A pair of binoculars on the hat shelf flew forward between the front seat occupants heads and broke the windshield. I won?t fly any plane with anything hard or heavy up there.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

I have the same issue regarding flying with my 55 pound attack basset hound. He's far to heavy to lift out of "the pit". I was thinking of packing my things in several plastic storage boxes and then putting a solid board across the top of these. I have a slider -7 and putting regular luggage in the rear is not that easy. Been to OSH several times with everything packed in these storage containers and it works well. I'd like to do the Pilots and Paws thing also.

I cut out two pieces of 1/16? plywood, then laminated them with a layer of light fiberglass cloth and resin. They screw together and rest on the edges of the luggage area. The back bulkhead has a small tab that supports the rear. Very light and strong. I?m not god at posting pictures, but I can e-mail them if you are interested.

Back