What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bend flaps trailing edge?

unitink72

Well Known Member
The plans have you put the "slight bend" on the trailing edges of the flap nose skins, but not on the trailing edge of the bigger skins where you put in the AEX wedge.

Is that on purpose? Or am I just starting to get into the advanced plans where I need to pull up my britches and follow my experience?

Just think its weird that they specify it on the nose skins and not the main skins, so want to make sure I'm not missing something before I go bend these too.

Yes, it's on purpose. The nose skins, being U-shaped, are like a spring -- wanting to pull apart at the edges. By placing a slight bend on those edges it will help them lay flat against the underlying top and bottoms skins after riveting. Otherwise there's a tendency for the nose skins to sit "proud" of the other skins creating a gap. Not the end of the world, but not aesthetically pleasing. The trailing edges of the top and bottom skins being flat don't have the same issue.

emp?

Why then did I do the small bend on the tail surfaces and ailerons? Those all had flat skins at the trailing edge.

I did verify that the plans instruct an "edge break" for the ailerons, but didn't check the emp plans. But I definitely recall doing it.

Back