What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thoughts on pricing RV-14 For Sale?

So the first time we start seeing some low time RV-14's for sale. What do you think will be the selling price range?

- VFR RV-14 with factory new IO-390 and decent glass panel - pricing range?

- IFR RV-14 with factory new IO-390, nice glass panel, and all the goodies - pricing range?

Last edited by a moderator:
Most RV's these days do not sell for much, if any, more than the price of their parts, unless they're a 10..a showpiece.

The -14 is by no means revolutionary so I think that the same thing will apply. The economy is just what it is...bad for sellers, great for buyers.

Best,

Right - that seems to be the case.

A very nice RV-10 seems to have about $70k to $80k additional value over full cost of the build. I was thinking a recently built RV-14 may sell for the $129,000 to $149,000 range (in the 100hrs TTSN range or less after build is completed). I would pay $129,000 for a clean well built basic VFR RV-14 if it had under 100 hrs TTSN. I would pay more for a loaded up RV-14 with IFR panel set up.

This all leads me to my original thought that building a RV-10 still makes the most sense (from an economic standpoint)....plus the extra two seats never hurt. ;)

... unless they're a 10..a showpiece.

Right - that seems to be the case. A very nice RV-10 seems to have about $70k to $80k additional value ...

I think what Pierre meant was unless they're a 10/10, as in a perfectly built "showpiece", not an RV-10.

I don't think any RV could be built and sold at a profit, once you figure in the labor costs and overhead. At least not when the market is flooded with used (almost new) aircraft selling for 50 to 70 cents on the dollar. Remember, asking price has nothing to do with actual selling price.

seems to have about $70k to $80k additional value over full cost of the build

The key words are "seems to have"

All you can really tell from advertising is the asking price seldom will you ever know the actual purchase price or even if a sale occurs.

I agree with Craig, you really can't build these things and make a profit.

the best way to make 1 million dollars in aviation in todays market is start with 2 million dollars.

If I build a RV-10 for $140k, and sell it 6 to 12 months later (after I fly 100 to 200 hrs on it) for $210k, I consider that a decent amount of equity. Of course this does not include my cost of labor for time spent for the full build process. Building an RV-10 for me would be a lot of work but it would also be a blast....so labor costs into any kit is relative imo.

After reading the earlier post again I do see the 10/10 point being made about RV valuation opinions...all good points everyone.

What would you pay for a 9.5/10 or 10/10 RV-14....VFR or IFR?

If I build a RV-10 for $140k, and sell it 6 to 12 months later (after I fly 100 to 200 hrs on it) for $210k, I consider that a decent amount of equity. Of course this does not include my cost of labor for time spent for the full build process. Building an RV-10 for me would be a lot of work but it would also be a blast....so labor costs into any kit is relative imo.

After reading the earlier post again I do see the 10/10 point being made about RV valuation opinions...all good points everyone.

What would you pay for a 9.5/10 or 10/10 RV-14....VFR or IFR?

I know of a couple of RV-10's that have changed hands. Both nice airplanes. I didn't ask either <new> owner for specifics, but my impression was that both were purchased for little more than the build cost.

$140k?

I don't know how you could build an RV-10 for $140k unless you scrimped significantly on everything, AND got the kit used for a deep discount.

I know of a couple of RV-10's that have changed hands. Both nice airplanes. I didn't ask either <new> owner for specifics, but my impression was that both were purchased for little more than the build cost.

Granted, I don't know of every RV-10 that has been sold, but the most expensive -10 I know of personally sold for $175k and that was 5 years ago before prices started to plummet.

I don't know how you could build an RV-10 for $140k unless you scrimped significantly on everything, AND got the kit used for a deep discount.

Certainly it could be done on 2008 dollars. I scrimped on paint and interior, but nothing else (new engine and prop, full/G ifr panel, autopilot) and spent no more than that.

I would be shocked if a completed 14 would sell for more than $100k. The market for two seaters - even RVs - is soft. As said, that's a bit different than the market for nice 4-seaters like an RV-10.

Since this is a new model and the U.S. economy is changing, you would be carrying a lot more risk than if the economy were stable and the model had some history.

For roughly the same work but to reduce the risk, you might offer some build services to people, or start with an aircraft for which you could at least get all the kits and know what the price of them will be. If you're building a single airplane of a new model, a highly-integrated one, the options for making money would appear to be roughly proportional to the cost of the RV-12 kits compared to what Van's is getting for the fly-away airplane.

Also, if this is the only airplane you're going to do this with, then you'll have to figure in the cost for tools and the shop space. I bet that the hidden costs will surprise you and the ability to sell at a high price will be less than you expect. It might be worth doing a worst-case study of this to see how that looks.

I have noticed that people who have a good reputation and have made a business with RVs, tend to specialize a bit. Think Stein or Vetterman or Paul at Weep No More. They manage to stay in business. Of course, those are businesses, not hobbies.

The moral here is to treat it as a business and plan it with good business sense. It might be a good idea to refer to the rules I posted here - http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=79910 for back-up plans.

Dave

I would be shocked if a completed 14 would sell for more than $100k. The market for two seaters - even RVs - is soft. As said, that's a bit different than the market for nice 4-seaters like an RV-10.

+ 1 with Terry. I stick with the RV7A and a sliding canopy. :) Best all in class ride for sure.

Only way to know for sure is build one and sell it.

Let us know how it goes.

I'm pretty sure a nicely built RV14 will sell for more than 100K, likely in the 129-149 range as someone here said - Especially if it has a nice glass panel, autopilot, and no bazaar paint job. The RV14 is not all that 'new'. It has a proven wing, proven or improved engineering from a company that has a long history of building well designed kits that all have excellent handling qualities. The RV14 is more main stream than the other 2 seat RVs, and will appeal to a whole new group of pilots that would otherwise not consider an RV because of its 'sporty' image. If you consider other new aircraft you can buy, this price range is near the bottom. The buying public is a lot different than the builder/pilot. Getting 2 or 3 pilot friends to go together to buy an RV14 to replace their spam can - Cessna, Grumman, etc - is certainly likely. I don't think building RVs to sell as a form of income is very lucrative for a typical builder like me, but I think you will not loose money, and if you don't consider your time that important ($), you'll come out ahead.

Back