What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Too much fun!

cwharris

So I received my RV14a Empennage/Tail Kit 5 weeks ago and since then I've have been working 35 to 40 hours per week. So far I have completed the Vertical Stabilizer, primed and assembled the Rubber which I have decided to start completely over because I messed up riveting the Trailing Edge. I will be squeezing the trailing edge rivets next time instead of using the backing plate method. A minor setback. I have the Horizontal Stabilizer ready for final assembly and right now I?m working on finishing up the Elevators and trim tab. The kit is moving along. I?m so impressed on how Easy and well-engineered this kit is. I have to say I?m having a blast building all the components. I just wish there was a way to make money at doing this, because I would quit my job in a heartbeat if I could stay at home and build all day which is what I?ve have been doing I?m just not making any money. I just can?t seem to put the kit down and go back to my paying job. :D:D:

Good to hear you're having fun! After all, that IS what building is all about. But know that there are many a day coming when the build tasks at hand are very frustrating. Your patience - and perseverance will be tested more than once. :)

Redo Rudder

So I received my RV14a Empennage/Tail Kit 5 weeks ago and since then I've have been working 35 to 40 hours per week. So far I have completed the Vertical Stabilizer, primed and assembled the Rubber which I have decided to start completely over because I messed up riveting the Trailing Edge. I will be squeezing the trailing edge rivets next time instead of using the backing plate method. A minor setback. :D:D:

I also have redone the rudder because of the trailing edge. My first time, it was a little wavy and that was not going to fly(pun intended). My second time, it came out perfect. I would say the most important thing is to make sure to get the Proseal good and even across all sides. Then make sure it is clamped really good. I let it set for 24 hours, even though I was using the quick set formula, then cleaned off the excess Proseal and reclamped it for another 24 hours, then riveted it. I also used the technique called for in section 5, which is a narrower set head against the back plate and took my time. That seemed to work well. However, my opinion is that the Proseal and clamping procedure was much more important because my edge was perfect and bonded before I started the first rivet. Having finished the wings and the tail, there have been a few frustrating times and a few more calls to Van's for new parts then I would like to admit, but I love it! I have been bored stiff without the next kit to work on. Like you, I guess I could work a little harder to make money at my real job to pay for all this, but that's no fun! Enjoy the build.

rsvk9w.jpg

1zvtj0j.jpg

Back