- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-3
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2018, 08:45 PM

Default Bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNeufeld View Post
I am not a certified welder so I didn't see that coming. I get it. The problem I see with a plate is there will be a unsupported area between the plate and the gear leg the thickness of the tube. Might not be a big deal??
Not a big deal. The shaped flat doubler is pretty much the standard repair. I think there are a lot more of these repairs than people realize, just not many talking about it. My proposed doubler would be oval on the outside and would be just large enough to extend outside of the peened area. Actually the optimum doubler would be a section of .120 wall tubing cut from a tube with od 1/4" larger than od of socket.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:20 PM

Actually the optimum doubler would be a section of .120 wall tubing cut from a tube with od 1/4" larger than od of socket.[/quote]

OK then. How about slipping a snug fitting .120 solid tube piece over the top. Leave the new piece about 3/16" above in the rear and slightly below the original tube in front for ease of access to weld. Should be able to weld that without removing the mount?

We can keep this going all night!

Last edited by DNeufeld : 01-01-2018 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:54 PM

Default Weld

There simply is not enough room to do any welding on the aft side of the gear socket. The mount must be removed form the airplane. As I posted before, a talented welder can close up the holes on the 6A main gear.
Who's on first What's on second and I don't know is on third. If you never heard the entire thing this would be an excellent time to look it up. Great stress reliever!!!
Old 01-01-2018, 10:00 PM

Default Who

Abbott and Costello "who's on first" dates to 1938. Audio, video and text available online. One of the all time classics in my opinion.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs14855 View Post
Abbott and Costello "who's on first" dates to 1938. Audio, video and text available online. One of the all time classics in my opinion.
OK then. How about... How many ways are there to plug a hole?

I've seen it. It's one of my favorites

Sorry CAVU
Old 01-01-2018, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs14855 View Post
Not a big deal. The shaped flat doubler is pretty much the standard repair. I think there are a lot more of these repairs than people realize, just not many talking about it. My proposed doubler would be oval on the outside and would be just large enough to extend outside of the peened area. Actually the optimum doubler would be a section of .120 wall tubing cut from a tube with od 1/4" larger than od of socket.
It is a common repair method but this is a very oversized hole.
That would mean that instead of a single shear point on each end of the bolt it would be in double shear with a slight gap inducing a bending moment.
Less than desirable. I would be looking for a different fix it it were mine.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 01-14-2018, 09:12 PM

Default Nothing ever goes wrong....

The report is the gear doesn't align properly. I need to get down to the fabricator doing the work and size things up. The plan is to align the gear and place some fabricated spacers in the holes and weld them to the gear tubes. Perhaps the gear is bent from my learning to land on these springs.

P.S. I know people think highly of Van's but I did send a request to them for a repair suggestion and no reply. Thanks to VAF I have some input, making the VAF contribution worthwhile.

RV-3 restored - learning to land
Stearman - building - near 1st flight
L3 converting/building ribs
Helio Courier constructing
C-170A my trainer - sold
Kitchen - remodeling/done
Old 01-14-2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVU Mark View Post
P.S. I know people think highly of Van's but I did send a request to them for a repair suggestion and no reply. Thanks to VAF I have some input, making the VAF contribution worthwhile.
Just a thought. I always follow up a Van's email with a phone call.
Sometime the email gets lost in the shuffle between the three techs.

RV-7 Slider #74572
Started 11/2016
Empennage completed 11/2016 (sans fiberglass)
Ailerons and flaps completed 3/2017.
Wings completed 12/2017 (sans fiberglass)
Started on QB fuselage 01/2018
Donated 2017
Old 01-15-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVU Mark View Post
The report is the gear doesn't align properly. I need to get down to the fabricator doing the work and size things up. The plan is to align the gear and place some fabricated spacers in the holes and weld them to the gear tubes. Perhaps the gear is bent from my learning to land on these springs.

Did you follow up after you got no reply?

It is fairly common for breakdowns to happen with e-mail (it is not 100% reliable).

One of the common causes of a failed connection with Van's tech. support is for the reply to go in the customers SPAM folder.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 01-15-2018, 11:28 PM

Default Repair started

I did not follow up with Van's. I suspect that Van's response would be covered by responses here so I forged ahead.

Today we aligned the gear on the mount which was bolted down to the welding table. A few spacers (3/8 bolt dia) are going to be welded to the mount. A calculated repair considering all the input and that of the fabricator.

I tried to talk him into making the Grove type gear but he wasn't interested. He'd rather build English race bikes.

RV-3 restored - learning to land
Stearman - building - near 1st flight
L3 converting/building ribs
Helio Courier constructing
C-170A my trainer - sold
Kitchen - remodeling/done