What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV IFR Training: Performance Tables

intothinair

Well Known Member
Would anyone on VAF be willing to share their performance tables for IFR flying? I fly a RV-9A, but any RV performance table will do. I am sure others would benefit from this information. Perhaps this document can be added the Download page or to a new IFR training page or link.

The data would ideally be displayed in a matrix as follows:

Vertical column: Takeoff, Climb, Cruise, Cruise Descent (500 fpm), Holding, Approach (level), Precision Approach (500 fpm), Non-Precision Approach (800-1000 fpm)

Horizontal Row: Configuration (%flaps), Power (MP, RPM), Attitude (degrees above/below the artificial horizon), Performance (AIS, VSI)

Thank you.

John

Hi John. Since there are no two RVs alike I'm not sure how useful a matrix like you suggest would be. I personally use "whatever it takes."

I'm planning on working up the same table for my new-to-me RV-9A, 160hp cs prop. So far I have only a cruise setting, but I'll let you know what else I come up with!

Would anyone on VAF be willing to share their performance tables for IFR flying? I fly a RV-9A, but any RV performance table will do. I am sure others would benefit from this information. Perhaps this document can be added the Download page or to a new IFR training page or link.

The data would ideally be displayed in a matrix as follows:

Vertical column: Takeoff, Climb, Cruise, Cruise Descent (500 fpm), Holding, Approach (level), Precision Approach (500 fpm), Non-Precision Approach (800-1000 fpm)

Horizontal Row: Configuration (%flaps), Power (MP, RPM), Attitude (degrees above/below the artificial horizon), Performance (AIS, VSI)

Thank you.

John

A list like this is useful for initial training, so you have a standard to compare to. Ask your cfii what he wants. But in the real world some flexibility is required. In the flatlands, a cruise climb may work; out here, a lot of ifr departure procedures require a higher than standard climb gradient - in an adverse wind, Vx may be required. Likewise if shooting the ILS into SFO on an 1000'-5 mile day, ATC will ask for best speed (and vector you into holding if you don't do it). But if it's 1/2 mile in the dark, a slower speed is needed.

Hi John,

Don't know if you've looked, but I put the basic information you are looking for in the all weather operation section of the RV training manual over on the Safety page. Some additional math and flight test may be required to tweak specifics for your airplane, but it will get you into the ball park. There is also discussion regarding takeoff in the Normal Operations chapter with pitch information you may find helpful as well. There is a link to download the PDF version that has a hyperlinked table of contents to assist with looking stuff up, and if you drop me a PM with your email, I can send you a word version as well.

Since each RV is different, specific numbers have to be derived from flight test, which some instructors may incorporate into the training flow.

Good luck with your training!

Vac

Last edited:
Mike - My CFII requested this information before we begin IFR training in my RV-9A. I created a performance spreadsheet based on data from your excellent RV-type training guide and will verify the numbers. Thanks for your help.

Duguru - I will share my findings with you, then post to VAF.

John

Vac, thanks so much for sending the training manual. What a terrific resource - I'm sure a huge amount of work went into it. I'm going to get a lot more than power settings out of it, I'm sure!

Regards
Doug

Hi John,

Don't know if you've looked, but I put the basic information you are looking for in the all weather operation section of the RV training manual over on the Safety page. Some additional math and flight test may be required to tweak specifics for your airplane, but it will get you into the ball park. There is also discussion regarding takeoff in the Normal Operations chapter with pitch information you may find helpful as well. There is a link to download the PDF version that has a hyperlinked table of contents to assist with looking stuff up, and if you drop me a PM with your email, I can send you a word version as well.

Since each RV is different, specific numbers have to be derived from flight test, which some instructors may incorporate into the training flow.

Good luck with your training!

Vac

Back