What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Couple of Lycoming questions

Interested in thoughts from our Lycoming guru's.

I am getting ready to build up an engine for a 6A. I have an AEIO-360-B1F with overhauled case and crank. My plan is to keep this simple with carb and a fixed pitch Sensenich prop. Does it make sense to use the AEIO crank in this application, or would it be better used in a more serious aerobatic engine build?

The crank P/N is LW-17141.

I will also be shopping for bearings shortly, I am curious if someone knows the reason for all the superseded Lycoming bearing P/N's? I see quite a few NOS bearings advertised, but also noted that they have been superseded.

Also figured I should try posting a picture - Here goes :D

8qqYcbRSwq1mcNbXZgxJnSjucyNDWDs0GUubEex9eDl

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I tried posting your pic from the Amazon storage location but they don't seem to support this type of linking, that I can tell.

Why wouldn't you want the acro crank, even if you are going to install a FP prop? You can punch (or remove) the inner seal and install the outer seal (search for it) and run a Catto.

Then, should you ever want a CS prop, you can install one. Also, it is a good selling point to be able to install a CS prop, should a future buyer want one.

The question about the bearings may simply be the material they are made out of. I really don't know but that would be my guess, and it is only a guess.

Bearings

Talk to aircraft specialties about bearings and machine work best prices Ive found.
Bob

I have been spending some time on Aircraft Specialties site, lots of great info. Glad to hear that their pricing is good. Just more of a curiosity on the upgraded bearing P/N's, figured there must have been a reason.

If you really want to go the simple route, you might consider exchanging or selling that AEIO. Some people would prize that, and would be willing to pay a bit of a premium.

Bearings

It might be part numbers from the three different companies, ECI Lycoming and Superior Air Parts also there sold STD. M003 ect.
Bob

Back