What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Incrementally updating weight and balance...

Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
I'm going from a Sky-Tec LS starter to a B&C starter. The B&C starter is about 3.5 lbs. heavier.

Unfortunately my fuel tanks are full. To do a from scratch weight and balance would require that I empty the tanks! Ugh!

It seems that mathematically you could calculate a new weight and balance using the change in weight and position.

Is that true? Is that legal?

Thanks,
Michael-

Incrementally is normally how it's done.

An example from my Sky Arrow:

32270098051_c879ee3211.jpg

As an aside, shows the gains possible from switching to a lithium-iron battery!

Incrementally is normally how it's done.

An example from my Sky Arrow:

32270098051_c879ee3211.jpg

As an aside, shows the gains possible from switching to a lithium-iron battery!

And although no-one has mentioned it yet, do it in an Excel spreadsheet to keep the mathematical calculations correct...:)

And I see the image above was created in Excel.

In Excel

My original W&B is in Excel, so I can just go from there.

The B&C starter shows the CG for the starter in the drawings. The Sky-Tec does not. I'll just figure that out myself with some experimenting.

Michael-

My original W&B is in Excel, so I can just go from there.

The B&C starter shows the CG for the starter in the drawings. The Sky-Tec does not. I'll just figure that out myself with some experimenting.

Michael-

This CG location came from a Sky-Tec supplementary installation document -

Weight and Balance Calculation
Fore-Aft CG: Half the distance between the front and rear starter mounting holes (starter datum)

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/stylespilotshop/sky-tec-starter-install.pdf

Is there really 3.5 lbs difference? I checked the B&C website but could not find the weight of their starters.

Back