What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Purging inhibitor oil from fuel lines

Hornet2008

Well Known Member
I tried a search here and drew a blank. Lycoming SB says to remove the injectors if the engine has a turbo. My engine is a IO 320 D1A. The SB reads, run boost pump for 30 sec with bottom plugs removed to purge inhibitor oil from fuel system. Reason I ask is prior experience of a flush of fuel in an injected engine resulted in "bore wash". A condition that negates compression by washing oil of cylinder walls. Has anyone experience with the Lycoming SB of purging fuel lines? My understanding is to remove bottom plugs, connect a fuel source and run boost pump for 30 seconds. I understand fuel is delivered to the intake manifold but wouldn't some of it get into the cylinders?

Plan B

You could disconnect the lines and flush those out, and then remove the injectors and flush those too. This puts no fuel into the cyl - likely a good thing.

I would not flush fuel thru the cyl.

Carry on!
Mark

For a friends 10, we bypassed the servo, ran through the red cube, but disconnected before the spider and ran the fuel flow tests. The first couple quarts was flushed as the stream became clear, then the tests run. We did not flush any further in the fuel system. It started pretty quickly. It was richer on the first start than normal in getting used to the start procedure (IO), but still started on about the 5th blade. Pushed a bit of smoke as it cleared, then ran clean. I think we had the boost pump on too long for any cold start.

Maybe it would have started quicker with flushing through the lower plugs but this seemed safer than having fuel all over.

Back