What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ladies Love Taildraggers fly-in

acroflyrgirl

Well Known Member
So, there is this fly-in I recently heard about in Tenn next weekend. The group putting it on (ladieslovetaildraggers) is as you might guess, focused on women who enjoy the challenges that come with tailwheel flying.

I am heading out there Thursday for the weekend and wondered if any others from out west are going? I have an RV6, and an emply seat. Bringing camping gear for the weekend.

Anyone interested in joining, flying wing, or riding along drop a note.

The route east

Here is my propossed route. I'll take suggestions for stops along the way, good restuarants, must see little strips etc.

photo2.png
[/IMG]

photo-1.png
[/IMG]

photo3-1.png
[/IMG]

photo1.png
[/IMG]

Say Hi to my buddy Wendy

My buddy Wendy should be there, sounds like it will be a lot of fun.

Durant

Make sure that your stop in Durant, OK is at lunch or dinnertime. Take the airport van and go downtown to the corner of Main and 1st St (doesn't get more "downtown" than that) and eat at the Roma Italian restaurant. I fly out of my way to stop at Durant just for the Italian food.

Memphis, M01 airport

I stopped at General Spain, M01, by Memphis a week ago. Nice setup for self-serve. Crew car available to drive to Tops BBQ. Bring copy of your car insurance paper. Flying through area at 3500' expect gaps in radar coverage. ATC didn't terminate me, just resumed coverage closer to sites.

Be surprised if you can't find a passenger.

Have Fun! :)

Let me know if you will be at KCNM around lunch. I'll give you a ride to the Red Chimney, which in my opinion has fine BBQ.

Sounds like a fun group! I've never heard of them before and wish I had known about last year's event in Oklahoma.

Have fun!

Sounds like a fun group! I've never heard of them before and wish I had known about last year's event in Oklahoma.

Have fun!

Last year it was in OH. A friend of mine flew from WA there in her Student Prince. If I had the timeoff I would have gone with her.

This year I have my own plane after many years without. Should be a fun trip.

Fun travels

I didn't stop in CNM or DUA, heck though I almost made it the whole way in one day....

Aww, I was doing so good today. Left Tucson bright and early, had descent WX and was rushing my last fuel stop. I had gotten my latest WX brief at the earlier stop and things looked good to make this 1171NM trek in one day. My big concern was running out of daylight and when I stopped in Bearce for fuel it was all coming together. One more short (264NM) leg. After doing a 475 and a 432, this would be easy peasy.
Guess I should have refreshed my briefing at Bearce afterall. I departed Bearce and spoke to MEM Center for flight following. They said the WX I was looking at was from Illinois to Mexico. I spoke to Flight Watch about some options and decided I didn?t like any of them too much. I could maybe get close to MEM but I thought why get too close to the WX only to wach it roll over my plane in the night.
So I found Benton AR Saline Co Rgnl Airport and this is where I?ll stay until morning.

Ladies Love Taildraggers Fly-In

Quick pirep....

Yesterday the RV-8 went off to visit the Ladies Love Taildraggers Fly-In. My copilot was Savannah Weaver, 08A's favorite Young Eagle. Not old enough to drink beer, but flies better than I do and has more ratings to boot. Sheesh....

Lemme tell ya, this is one of those events you should put on your calendar. I'd guess 40-50 airplanes mid day, from a Piet to a Beech 18. Lots of Super Cubs, Maules, Stearmans, S-7's, and of course some RVs.

Very laid back, everyone very friendly. We walked around and just talked to folks for hours, nonstop. There were solo ladies, ladies who brought husbands, daughters with dads, assorted airplane nuts, some locals...you know, the whole spectrum. I guess what I'm saying is you don't have to be Truman Capote to fit in if you happen to be of the bearded gender.

As for the formal side, well, the organizers did a marvelous job. And the food was great!

Watch for it next year. It's a good one.

I am trying to figure out if Mike wants to see pictures of the airplanes or of the Ladies. :)

SAM_2193-425x318.jpg

Lots of flyins today including Cathy from AZ in her RV6 and Dana from Kansas City in her Super Cub.

SAM_2161-425x318.jpg

Becky from Georgia in a FINE looking Supercub restored by her dad, Donald.

SAM_2166-300x225.jpg

Kelly Jeffries flew her RV8 all the way from NH today.

SAM_2167-425x318.jpg

You gotta see the panel on this RV8!

Kelly-Jeffries-OCT-2011-300x199.jpg

Kelly Jeffries & RV8

Last edited:
Hey Gary, you sure are a long way from home this weekend! You putting hours on?

Paul:

I worked last night and when I got home, saw the thread. I know how to "let my fingers do the walking" with Google and just went to the web link listed in one of the posts and used the "Insert Image" icon at the top of the forum message window. My actual post was without photos and I went back 3-minutes later and added them.

I am your typical straight male pilot. I like looking at airplanes and women who fly them. I think most straight male pilots are the same way.

The way home

I was going to swing thru ABQ on the way back from that awesome, fun LLT fly-in but the wx over part of AR got in the way and I opted to go Southerly again. This time instead of stopping in DUA I went to SWI, got their courtesy car and am having lunch now.

I will be stopping in CNM around 4pm for fuel then on to RYN to call it a wrap.
I sure do like the way this RV covers the miles.

I want an autopilot for my birthday though, so I can nap in that warm greenhouse.

Back