What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F-745 R&L

Av8torTom

Well Known Member
Hopefully this isn't a stupid question :D, but I've not seen any discussions on how to deal with the instrument panel supports (F-745 R&L) when you're installing electronic instruments. Does another support need to be fashioned? Anyone have photos?

Thanks and Happy New Year

I did what I saw from several others. I needed room for my 10" display, so I trimmed the left rib at the aft face of the subpanel. I then used a piece of angle to attach the cutoff part 3" or so outboard. I "moved" the panel holes out accordingly. The trickiest part was planning my panel cutouts so that the original holes for the brace were covered up or cut out. The top one was easy since that's where my HDX went, the bottom one was used to determine where I was placing my switches.

Like I did many times, I took my inspiration from Bruce Hill's phenomenal builder site. He's got pictures there showing the same approach.

Yes, just cut them off at the subpanel. Make a new bracket with some angle and move them inward.

Make the brackets first before you cut the ribs off.
IMG_3161-M.jpg

Check the angle of the brackets from the back of the subpanel.
IMG_3162-M.jpg

The subpanel has a bend across it, so you will need to put a bend in your bracket. You can see how I put a relief cut in the angle where the bend is.
IMG_3164-M.jpg

Then you can drill the holes in the bracket and match them to the ribs.
IMG_3696-M.jpg

Draw a line on the ribs and then cut them off.
IMG_3928-M.jpg

Once you have your panel layout figured out, reposition the cut off aft rib pieces inward. You can draw a line between the prepunched holes on the panel and this will help you locate the new position of the holes on the panel where it gets screwed onto the end of the ribs. Use some clecos to hold them in place and then drill the bracket to the subpanel.

Back