What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paint Question

kritsher

Well Known Member
Last weekend, I dropped my -12 off at the paint shop. As we were walking around the pland and discussing the prep and paint process, my eyes fell on the small gaps in the sheet metal around the wing close outs and I started wondering...

What's the impact of acid etch, alodyne, and pressure washing fluids getting into those holes during the paint prep process? I don't particularly want a bunch of that stuff sloshing around inside my wings or anywhere else there's a small opening. My paint guy said he'd work those areas by hand, but I'm wondering what others have done, if anything...?

I trimmed the skin at the wing tips and filled in the gaps with Bondo. The paint looks great. I put blind rivets in the machining holes.

If you like applying chemical processes from the 1930s or so, go ahead! But there is no need with modern primers. Scuff, clean, wipe, spray. this thread is an example. The procedure was discussed in detail with IMRON company experts. http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=67760

Interesting - I'm not a fan of the alodine given it's toxic nature. I am going to let an aircraft painter strip, prep and prime and paint my 35 year old Cessna with the etch / alodine process and I'll see how that turns out. I don't want to mess with that stuff myself though.

I've been priming the inside of the 12 and have used a process that the Guy from Stewart systems told me to use. Scuff, wash with soap to get most of the aluminum scuffed off, clean with a naphtha based product (degrease) and prime. It seems to be holding out.

Interesting - I'm not a fan of the alodine given it's toxic nature. I am going to let an aircraft painter strip, prep and prime and paint my 35 year old Cessna with the etch / alodine process and I'll see how that turns out. I don't want to mess with that stuff myself though.

I've been priming the inside of the 12 and have used a process that the Guy from Stewart systems told me to use. Scuff, wash with soap to get most of the aluminum scuffed off, clean with a naphtha based product (degrease) and prime. It seems to be holding out.

I'm using Stewart Systems paint/process too and am very happy with the results. Especially when you make a boo boo...touch up is very simple. I too didn't like the idea of acids going into places I could not make sure it was fully nutrallized.

Last edited:
Back