What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seat Belts

Xlr84fun

Stupid question - but is there any specific reason everyone seems to go with the Crowe belts other than the fact that they look good? I started installing the crotch strap kit and remembered seeing someones build log that mentioned a modification to the anchor point due to a thicker attach plate on the Crowe belt. I'm thinking it might be best to purchase my belts now to confirm that they'll fit before proceeding.

They are a better price than some of the others - but still a well known name. I have the seatbelts from Vans and would probably use them, but they are not the color I want now. I will probably get the Crow harness 5 point system. Not sure about the cam or standard lock.

Thanks Mike...... glad to finally be part of VAF. Certainly nice to have this resource for us 1st timers.

On the -8 all of the attach points had plenty of flex in them to accommodate the Crow belts. Only mod was to bush the holes in the belt shackle with some 6mm washers. The ones I found were an exact fit...

Perhaps a -7 builder will comment on the flexibility of the -7 attach points or need to shim them..

Just before the Oshkosh show, we began carrying Raptor safety belts and harnesses. For comparison, they are similar to Crow or other well known belts and are made in the USA.

They are 2" width, 5 point harnesses, are available in all of the usual colors, come complete with the fittings that you'll need, and pads, all for one very competitive, all-inclusive price. We also offer thinner, yet still plenty beefy, mounting hardware for easier installation into typical RV attach points.

Latch and link belts are $200 and camlock belts are $300.

Since we just returned from the Oshkosh show, we don't have them up on our website yet. I'll pester Blake to get that done tonight, so check our store tomorrow if interested. Thanks.

Last edited:
I went with Hooker belts for no other reason than they matched the color of my Classic Aero leather seats perfactly. In retrospect, I really like them and they are very comfortable with the pads.

IMG_0156.JPG

Vince, I'll go check them out on the site. I want to purchase a Rocket Link anyway.

Paul, thanks for the comments. By the way, I can see why you went with the Hooker belts. Your bird looks amazing with those. I can only hope mine ends up looking somewhat respectable as well.

Blake is working on getting the info onto the store tonight. It will be a bit bare until he is able to take some better photos and get them posted. In the meantime, here is a quick photo of a couple of the belts that we had at the Oshkosh booth.

Raptor%20belts.jpg

They are a bit wrinkled because I just pulled them out of a box. Also, there is no mounting hardware installed, but the hardware types are in the center of the photo. Pads are available if desired. Different configurations are available. Pull up or pull down to tighten is your choice. All for the same price. No up charges to get what you want.

We are taking orders, so let us know what you need. You can contact me at [email protected] or call me at 812-464-1839 for more info.

Once the web info is complete, I'll post an update to this thread.

Crow doesn't recommend CAM lock for off road?

I was all set to get the Crow 5 point system and it said "Not recommended for Off Road Use".

I like the looks of the cam but remember most of my racing friends have the buckle with a small pull strap on it. Anyone know why they don't recommend it?

Vince- you have both on the belts you have. Any reason to pick one over the other?

I would just call Crow but I am stuck in a boring meeting and I can get away with posting, but not a call!

The latch and link is probably more common, but the camlocks are also popular.

The biggest advantage that I can see for the more expensive camlock type latch is that anyone can plug the belts into place. No fumbling with a stack of hardware parts like with the latch and link style.

Either style should be safe, secure, and comfortable, so it's largely personal preference.

"Not for offroad use" sounds like a lawyer statement meant to cover someone's backside rather than a practical or useful warning.

Thanks Vince. I wondered about that. I didn't see the harness sets on your site. When will they be available and will you have "kits" for different models - like the 9A I am building? I was set on Crow, but still looking!

Thanks

Just before the Oshkosh show, we began carrying Raptor safety belts and harnesses. For comparison, they are similar to Crow or other well known belts and are made in the USA.

They are 2" width, 5 point harnesses, are available in all of the usual colors, come complete with the fittings that you'll need, and pads, all for one very competitive, all-inclusive price. We also offer thinner, yet still plenty beefy, mounting hardware for easier installation into typical RV attach points.

Latch and link belts are $200 and camlock belts are $300.

Since we just returned from the Oshkosh show, we don't have them up on our website yet. I'll pester Blake to get that done tonight, so check our store tomorrow if interested. Thanks.

Vince, are those prices per seat?

Thanks,
Russ

Put in another vote for Hookers!

While the Crows are nice, the Hookers are, well, they are hookers.

Probably the only downside is the weight. If you are trying to build light, don't use the camlocks of any brand as they are surprisingly heavy when compared to the Latch and Link style belts.

sim-29061bk_w_ml.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, the prices are per seat.

Yes, there will be "kits", but you can basically get whatever options you want for one basic price.

We're working on getting better photos, but taking photos of a seat belt set isn't exactly easy. Hard to show everything at once! Hopefully Blake will have them soon.

Hooker ratchet lapstrap

Has anyone tried installing the Hooker dual strap lap belt with ratchet tightener, like used on a Pitts or similar, on a RV7? Where did you anchor the forward set of lap straps?
I love hanging in the straps......

Not for Off-Road Use

I know this is an old post but to answer the question that was raised regarding the warning against off-road use, I'm guessing you were looking at a cam lock version. Cam locks specifically are not used in off-road applications because the dirt and grit get into the mechanism causing it to stop working.

I see that now you can get the Crow's with their standard Kam Lock or the Pro Formula Kam Lock. Anybody know what the difference is or have any opinions regarding the two styles? I'm in the process of trying to decide between L&L and Cam Lock for my belts.

Thanks!
Matt

Life savers

Crowe's saved my life in a 2008 mishap. Sounds better than a Hooker saved my life. Go with the Crowe.

Back