What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bill Lane plenum

dwranda

Well Known Member
I've sent a PM to Bill Lane a few days ago regarding his plenum he has made and sold in the past. I know some people don't check their PM's so this post is to see if Bill is still selling his plenums. Bill if you see this I would really like to talk to you about buying a plenum. Your quality looks amazing compared to the James version. Please contact me!!!!!!
Thanks,
Dave

Sorry for the delay Dave, PM sent. Phase I testing underway. Over 90% pressure recovery from 100 to 150 KIAS. I have quite tight wrapping so the mass flow is lower than typical. I am not sure where the inlet size would become a factor with higher mass flows. Cooling is good, I am still doing engine break in. Much more testing to be done.

Bill,

If you meet the pressure differential specs for the engine, you should get the necessary mass flow.

As far as inlet size, if properly designed you should experience little, if any, increase in drag from the inlet. The 1983 NASA report CR-3405 (?) is frequently cited in support of that point.

Update: Limited application.

I am flattered with the interest in plenums! :eek:

Unfortunately, my plenum mold is quite limited. It is for the RV7, SJ-Long cowl and 360 parallel valve engine. With foresight, it could have been more universal, but little did I know there was such interest.

For a plenum to be more effective than a good baffle system it has to utilize all the available flow area at the front of the heads. That means it needs to sit close to the cowl. While the 6-7-9 cowls are the same, the 8 & 14 are not. Also, the 320-360 parallel valve and 360 angle valve are different width engines. Then there are the SJ cowls, long and short, and the Showplane cowls too.

Sorry guys, I want to go flying. :D

Edit: Clarification/Interpretation - the 320 and 360 angle valve is more narrow and wider respectively. That takes new molds. The contour is shaped for the long cowl, work would need to be done to determine how the shape of that cowl compares to the long. The plenum and intakes are mounted pretty close to the cowl, it does not take much variation to create an interference. The diffuser/inlets are shaped to take advantage of the length available. Dimensions ( length from front face of head to plane of the cowl inlet) are needed to determine if they will fit. Also, the height of the cowl from the head flashing centerline (crank center).

Bill

Last edited:
I am flattered with the interest in plenums! :eek: Unfortunately, my plenum mold is quite limited.
Sorry guys, I want to go flying. :DBill

Bill is that a NO to making more plenums? I have RV-7 project, parallel valve 360 and equivalent of SJ short cowl. The latter difference long vs short I don't think is an issue. Are you willing to make some plenums. If not understand, got to go flying... :) If you could be so kind to post some instructions, materials, pictures on making of plenum, it would be appreciated. Thank you.

I am flattered with the interest in plenums! :eek:

Unfortunately, my plenum mold is quite limited. It is for the RV7, SJ-Long cowl and 360 parallel valve engine. With foresight, it could have been more universal, but little did I know there was such interest.

For a plenum to be more effective than a good baffle system it has to utilize all the available flow area at the front of the heads. That means it needs to sit close to the cowl. While the 6-7-9 cowls are the same, the 8 & 14 are not. Also, the 320-360 parallel valve and 360 angle valve are different width engines. Then there are the SJ cowls, long and short, and the Showplane cowls too.

Sorry guys, I want to go flying. :D

Bill

But then it would have been more difficult to install.

I had the pleasure of meeting Bill at OSH this year. Hopefully we can talk him into finding a third party to produce his plenum for others. I know he wants to continue to test and fly.

When we installed Bill's plenum with the help of Eric at Synergy - neither of us had ever installed one before. We did it (including trimming the baffle sheet metal) in about a day and a half. Ryan from Synergy had previously installed a SJ plenum - and it took him well over a week and he was not thrilled with the results.

I've attached a Dropbox link of our BL plenum installed and after painting at Evoke. It turned out pretty nice. I still have some tweaking to do, as the CHT's on the rear cylinders are a little higher than desired. That is probably because we are flowing too much air into the remote oil cooler (4" duct) and I need to modify the baffle for #3 cylinder as well.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/14hrwq153prdfih/IMG_3084.JPG?dl=0

TMI

Bill is that a NO to making more plenums? I have RV-7 project, parallel valve 360 and equivalent of SJ short cowl. The latter difference long vs short I don't think is an issue. Are you willing to make some plenums. If not understand, got to go flying... :) If you could be so kind to post some instructions, materials, pictures on making of plenum, it would be appreciated. Thank you.

OMG, George . . . I thought you had disappeared!!

See my edit additions above. I am not sure the inlets/cover will fit the short cowl. Dimensions matter in this case and some measurements would help. Send me an PM/email and we can address the dimensions.

Making a plenum is not magic. It was based on the inside shape of the cowl, then shaped it to fit the baffles. Then made a mold, several molds actually. All the bucks were made like DanH posts for other items. The most design/engineering went into the inlets. Hoping to ensure good pressure recovery. That part worked quite well. A single, custom, set of plenum and inlets should take about 40 -120 hours of labor, not counting bodywork to make them pretty. Experiments will add time.

I would recommend using the technique of DanH, Pete Howell et al with some mods- make a mono block of pink styrofoam that fits the baffles precisely, angles and dimensions must be based on the engine not the baffles. Then shape it to fit, the bump in the center is, IMO, useless (airflow wise). After happy, then remove the plug and remove perimeter material equal to the flange layup thickness. Make the plug usable for a mold, then apply the glass. I used a core due to concerns about stiffness and ballooning. If using a core, reduce the plug appropriately for a smooth top contour. Or just make the layup and add the core and extra layers on the bottom (easier). Make the inlets the same way. The plug may not be removed after layup, so it will either be destroyed or you will have to make the inlet in pieces (more labor). All pretty straightforward for a single piece. Double the time for female molds, and then add a couple of weeks for developing the layup process or more for infusion.

All this said - My inlets have a needed straight section and utilize the SJ method of boots to connect. I think a better method would be like DanH and Crabandy has done with the flexible diffusers. That construction can accommodate a much shorter distance from head to inlet plane and still have a good diffuser shape.

Feel free to email with specific questions. PM gets full.

Pretty straight forward, just lots of work, many have custom plenums.

But then it would have been more difficult to install.

I had the pleasure of meeting Bill at OSH this year.

Ease of installation and perfect fit was the goal, one not to be compromised!

You did a really nice and clean installation, well done! It was a real pleasure to me you and the family at OSH!

Bill, I understand you wanting to fly now that your plane is done. If this winter there is a stretch of bad weather and flying isn't possible I am still interested in your plenum if you were to make 1 or 2. Yeah I'm still holding out hope. Probably ordering my James cowl next week but in no hurry for the plenum yet. I definitely can wait 6 months or so on it. Wish I could have met you at Oshkosh this year!!
Dave

Back