What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which oil cooler for my -7?

Tbone

Well Known Member
I have a new oil cooler that I bought and it will not work in the firewall mount configuration on my -7, (8432R) which was my intent. I have a IO360 and live in the hot and humid south. What oil cooler would fit on the baffles and cool well without re-engineering the complete set-up? Also a quality unit....

I have been using an aero classic 10 row cooler mounted on the baffle behind number 4 cylinder. It has proved to work very well.

Unfortunately I'm still building... I have not cut the baffles yet for a cooler. My plan was to use the SW but it is configured wonky for a firewall mount. I'm tired of reconfiguring the wheel so I am going to "copy" someones success!

Are you talking about an A1A style angle valve or an M1B style parallel?

Standard Vans cooler is MORE than enough for the parallel valve.
I have mine mostly blocked year round and sometimes wish I could 100% block it in the winter (I did not build in a Vans oil cooler adj vent)

It is a M1B. It is very hot here in the summer +100 and humidity in the 90's. Just the standard IO360 with standard cowl and baffles. I'm going to see if Pacific Oil Cooler will exchange for a more suitable cooler. Just looking for ideas.

Recommend you look at the AirFlow System 2004X. This would have much more cooling capacity over the Van's recommended "EA Cooler II" but should still fit if you really must do the baffle mount.

Carl

I wasn't really wanting a baffle mounted cooler but due to space constraints I will have to find other ideas.

I have a 10 row cooler on mine with a 4 inch scat tube and a Sam James plenum. I am still seeing 220 oil temps with the oat warmer. Mine is 195 hp with oil squirters. Don't know what else to do but maybe open up the bottom cowl a bit. Even throttling back to 20 inches did not help

I have a 10 row cooler on mine with a 4 inch scat tube and a Sam James plenum. I am still seeing 220 oil temps with the oat warmer. Mine is 195 hp with oil squirters. Don't know what else to do but maybe open up the bottom cowl a bit. Even throttling back to 20 inches did not help

Look at that Axel did on his 4, he opened the area of the plenum over the leading face of the heads. It seemed to solve his problem. That is the most restrictive area for the SJ plenum. You likely have more than an inch clearance to the cowl there - at least I do on the 7. That will provide more air. Not guaranteed to fix your oil cooling, but it is quite restrictive there.

If you could install some piccolo tubes and measure the upper and lower pressures, it would help understand where the issue is. Search for the DanH post where he did his.

Unfortunately I'm still building... I have not cut the baffles yet for a cooler. My plan was to use the SW but it is configured wonky for a firewall mount. I'm tired of reconfiguring the wheel so I am going to "copy" someones success!

I get that - big time. I decided to reinforce the baffles in the three critical areas and go with the standard cooler (on M1B) for the same reason. The fasteners will accommodate the 9 row aero classic/ or 20003a niaagra if over heating is encountered. I am betting it won't.

Back