What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

magnetic interference with Garmin GMU-44

JSBergen

I am fitting up the Garmin GMU-44 in an RV-9A at the recommended location in the right lightening hole on the rear deck located just below the vertical stabilizer. I am also planning on having a manual trim system. The cable for the trim runs about 8 inches from the GMU-44. Garmin recommends 3 feet distance from metal cables. Has anyone used the GMU-44 with the trim cable located near it? If so, was there any noted interference? If there is interference, has anyone "Degaussed"sp? a cable? I am not familiar with degaussing, where/how does one do this (if necessary)?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards,
Jamie

If you are far enough along with the system's wiring that you can power up the G3X, there is a built-in magnetic interference check in the software that you can use very easily to see if you even have a problem or not. You'll have to run that before you can calibrate the magnetometer anyway, but you can use it when you get the system powered.

Paul

Back