What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel Layout

JSBergen

I am looking for any constructive comments on this panel layout prior to pulling to trigger and getting it cut. Items on the bubble right now are the panel mount Guardian CO monitor (I am looking at a remote unit that would interface with the EFIS), the HOBBS, and the storage compartment.

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j448/JSBergen/Panellayout-1.jpg

Paul at Steinair did the layout.

Relative to the components:

Garmin G3x dual screen
PSxxxx audio panel
Garmin GTN650 (cut now add later)
Garmin SL40
Garmin 327 transponder
Trutrac Gx A/P

Also included are display and lean knob for Eagle EFI

Dynon D6 EFIS (backup)

Switch cut outs are for nkk paddle switches.

I am planning on the Verticle Power VPX-Pro for the electrical control

Dual alternator, single battery

Am I missing any critical items? Does the spacing look adiquate? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards,
Jamie

I personally believe in steam gauges as back up, but you might have already had that discussion.

Is this a tip up or slider and how are you attaching the panel? There are two ribs as attach point which the one on the left side may need to be altered with the proposed plan. Also, are you planning on mounting them from back (flush) or from the front (raised) if mounting flush, you might have spacing issue on the upper left corner of Dynon.

Regarding switches:
- If the far left switch is your flap switch, I recommend moving it to the right side so your right hand can reach it easier, assuming you fly with your left hand
- I have grouped my switches in such way that those which are used during take off and landing are grouped together (Fuel pump, landing light, flap)
- if the two jacks above the ignition switch are your headset jack, you might want to bring those lower so the headset cable does not interfere with the ignition switch.
- Not sure what the item below Dynon is, but if it can be centered with Dynon, it will look nicer (more symmetric)
- Will you have any warning type light (Engine, etc) if so, I would plan them for the far left so they are not in direct view
- I think moving the A/P to the top of the stack will give it a better visibility for your scan or manipulation

I personally believe in steam gauges as back up, but you might have already had that discussion.

Is this a tip up or slider and how are you attaching the panel? There are two ribs as attach point which the one on the left side may need to be altered with the proposed plan. Also, are you planning on mounting them from back (flush) or from the front (raised) if mounting flush, you might have spacing issue on the upper left corner of Dynon.

It is a tip-up....I am planning on using the standard panel connection on the right hand side of the panel and modifying the left side to miss the EFIS screen.

I was planning on flush mounting. I will check clearance on the Dynon...good item to check!

Regarding switches:
- If the far left switch is your flap switch, I recommend moving it to the right side so your right hand can reach it easier, assuming you fly with your left hand

I am planning on using the Andair throttle quardant with the built in flap switch on the throttle handle.

- I have grouped my switches in such way that those which are used during take off and landing are grouped together (Fuel pump, landing light, flap)

I plan on clustering the switches in similar groups,,,i.e. all light switches grouped and Iwill use a different colored bezel on the grouped switches to provide a visual que....

- if the two jacks above the ignition switch are your headset jack, you might want to bring those lower so the headset cable does not interfere with the ignition switch.

The two holes above the ignition switch are for the lean knob for the Eagle EFI. As a point of reference, the two holes below the right corner of the right EFIS scree are for dual heat controls...it gets cold up here!

- Not sure what the item below Dynon is, but if it can be centered with Dynon, it will look nicer (more symmetric)

The picture shows the back plate of the EFI announciator plate. The actual visual portion is centered on the Dynon D6.

- Will you have any warning type light (Engine, etc) if so, I would plan them for the far left so they are not in direct view

The EFIS system will provide engine warning lights.

- I think moving the A/P to the top of the stack will give it a better visibility for your scan or manipulation

I will look at the A/P location, thanks.

I appreciate the input....

Regards,
Jamie

I would put the hobbs and whatever the other thing is at the top and the map box at the bottom of the R panel. If you are making your own map box (what I did), then you can make it deeper if it is lower. Otherwise, a standard sectional map won't fit in it without rolling it up. Of course, my "map box" doesn't have any maps in it anyway. I made a small open box (about 1" thick, and sectional width and depth) that just fits sectionals and mounted it under the panel (below where your switches are).

If you rearrange a bit, you could mount your vents on the panel also, rather than having them to the side of the panel (much nicer if you are using the steinair vents compared to vans plastic ones). I put mine approximately where you have your ignition.

Just a couple thoughts for what they are worth.

greg

I can't tell if your Ignition Switch is a "keyed" switch or push button. Mine is keyed and located where yours is. It's just a matter of time before someone (likely me) breaks the key off in the ignition.

Why the hobbs? I think your G3 should have that built in?

I put a hobbs in mine also, tied to an oil pressure switch. Stays "on" and readable after the electronics are turned off so that after the fact I can record flight time.

greg

Back