What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

430 routing and flight planning

timotb

Is there an easier way to file an IFR flight plan and load it in the Garmin 430?

Take the example of going from Spartanburg SC (KSPA) to Lakeland Florida (KLAL)

When filing an IFR /G flight plan with Lockeed Martin, I'd like to leave the routing blank and go direct. Not likely to get that in the ground clearance at SPA. So instead, of trying to load an unknown routing, I file by Victor airway and negotiate for direct enroute. This is basically how I did it 25 years ago and assume everyone is still doing it this way?

Next, we want to load that Lockeed Martin suggested victor aiway routing into the 430:

PETON V185 SAV V37 CRG V267 KIZER V152 KNEED

Since the 430 doesn't accept Victor airways we have to look up the routing on the chart. So we load the 430 flight plan as follows:

KSPA, PETON, GRD, IRQ, MILEN, SAV, KELER, SSI, CRG, KIZER, JENSN, KNEED

Is there an easier way? Thanks

I almost ALWAYS file direct. They will assign a different route if they want to, but very seldom give victor airways like that in my experience. File direct and have them add a few waypoints if they need to for restricted airspaces and MOA's.

I almost ALWAYS file direct. They will assign a different route if they want to, but very seldom give victor airways like that in my experience. File direct and have them add a few waypoints if they need to for restricted airspaces and MOA's.

Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear. Just want to avoid fumble loading a bunch of strange intersection spellings on the ground with the engine running or even in the air.

I file what I call a "smart" direct... I file as direct as I can while avoiding areas I know I'm not going to get cleared through such as restricted areas, certain MOAs, and certain Class B airspace. Hard to say which ones will work and and which ones don't. For example, I know that under IFR, I'm generally not going to get cleared through the Atlanta Class B, while they seem to be a bit more flexible with the Orlando Class B. Of course all that depends on weather and traffic. Weekends, I file through MOAs. Weekdays, you will generally get vectored around MOA's. Check the altitudes on the MOA. You may find an agreeable altitude.

I also file a few waypoints to follow the guidance in the AIM for IFR flight planning found on p. 5-11-14:

"f) File a minimum of one route description waypoint for each ARTCC through whose area the random route will be flown. These waypoints must be located within 200 NM of the preceding center?s boundary."

If I do have a complicated flight plan to load. I will load it save it as a stored flight plan prior to start up and just activate it after start up. If I get significant changes to my route when I pick up my clearance, rather than spending all that time on the ground loading the entire flight plan, I will load only those waypoints required for the first hour of flight and then load the remaining ones while I'm comfortable at cruise altitude.

Hope this helps.

Flight Stream 210

I just installed the Flight Stream 210 and just flew out east from the west coast using both vfr and IFR.

Loading a flight plan using victor airways is a snap, I type it into the Garmin app on my iPad mini then tap the button to send it to the 430W

It works the same if you amend the plan on the iPad or vice versa.

The flight stream makes this so easy, I have been really happy with it.

Cheers

I file what I call a "smart" direct... I file as direct as I can while avoiding areas I know I'm not going to get cleared through such as restricted areas, certain MOAs, and certain Class B airspace.

That's what I basically do as well. I never load more than my origin and destination until I call for my clearance. I have a GTN 650 so it makes things a bit easier. Of course another option if you really don't lIke loading flight plans with the engine running is to simply turn on a radio or use a handheld to get and load your clearance prior to engine start. When I was in training that's what I did.

Back