What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 Rudder build question

I?m working on the rudder and the plans indicate a part number R-916-1 Trailing Edge which was not included in my kit nor was it listed on the packing list. On page 07-07 of the build instructions, FIGURE 1 indicates a part number VA-140 as the Trailing Edge but FIGURE 3 on the same page refers to what appears to be the same part as an R-916-1. In the steps listed on page 07-07, the only reference to a VA-140 is in step 1. All other references to a ?Trailing Edge? are then referred to as part number R-916-1. I?m confused.

That's what is looks like to me but why would they do that? It doesn't make sense unless the purpose was to create confusion. Mission Accomplished!

I take it you are/did build a -14? You came across the same issue?

Remember for the RV-14 the elevator trailing edge wedge goes in backwards (it goes from thin to thick, forward to aft).

The story I got was that the RV-14 elevators were based on the RV-10. The prototype exhibited more sensitivity in pitch than roll so they reversed the wedge to make the elevators less effective - restoring the classic RV coordinated controls.

Carl

That's what is looks like to me but why would they do that? It doesn't make sense unless the purpose was to create confusion. Mission Accomplished!

It's quite common Vans nomenclature. One number is the raw stock; throughout the build you may have multiple pieces of the same raw stock. Once cut for a specific location, it gets a unique part number.

Yep, working on a 14.

Cool to have folks here real quick to help...

Remember for the RV-14 the elevator trailing edge wedge goes in backwards (it goes from thin to thick, forward to aft).Carl

I may be wrong but I don't believe that they are the same part. The wedge for the elevator trailing edge does not taper down to a fine edge. There is some taper to it but it's only a little thinner at its forward edge. I am not building yet but I have a copy of the builder's manual and also looked close at the elevator trailing edge on Mitch's airplane (having just completed the RV Assembly Workshop at OSH which uses the traditional wedge).

I'm not actually working on the elevator yet but thanks for the "look-out" on the trailing edge. I'm working on the rudder. It appears the VA-140 "becomes" the trailing edge R-619-1 after cutting it as was suggested on a previous reply. Since I'm waiting on the assembly until after priming I will contact Van's TS to make sure. I'd rather be sure than press on and be wrong. Thanks

Thanks Ray. I don't know how I missed the word "make" in the instructions. Sometimes the answer is staring me in the face and I still don't see it.

Back