What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ECi warranty issue

Plopper

I'm New Here
Does anyone know (anybody who might know) how to get through to ECi regarding a warranty issue?

I bought myself a beautiful Titan IOX 370 engine just before ECi was acquired by Continental. Although Continental claims that support is assured, because they still manufacture (and sell) parts, they do not offer any support regarding warranties for engines that were delivered (only weeks) before their their acquisition in August 2105. Continental referred me to an email address "[email protected]" and some phone number of ECi.

Unfortunately, the phone number only plays a recording, stating that you have to write an email, and the email address appears not to be monitored by anyone (no replies to my emails, even if sent from different addresses).

I am getting quite anxious here :eek:. Does this mean that, just 2 years ago, I bought a $29000 engine, that is now without any warranty support? (Here in Europe that would just be illegal)? Interesting fact: the engine is still brand-new, because it was bought early and building took more time then expected - we are just getting to it now...

Any help to get in touch with the right people is highly appreciated!

Roel

Danbury holdings is likely who you are trying to contact. Good luck with that. I had a very bad experience with ECI/Danbury. I hope you don?t need any warranty work, I?d be surprised if they even return your call.
Tim Andres

Roel,
You might try talking to one of the RV friendly engine shops. They might be able to give you contact info for a real person. Don George helped me out back when the ECi AD was happening.

Roel,
I hate that you are in this position. I was there last year and it was the most frustrating experience ever. I ended up losing a lot of money and over 6 months. Never posted about it as that may be considered bashing a company. But i will say the one guy left is not trustworthy. I was able to get a hold of him via the new continental shop because they emailed him and cced me.

He originally asked me not to post his name or number on VAF as his previous phone number had to be changed due to someone posting the info on a public forum.

Send certified mail, track your comms via email and start looking for other options if it is something that you can afford.

Welcome to the club!!!

Yep,
ECi is junk and the help and warranty is even worse. Glad you have a 370 vs. my counter weighted 371 crank that broke at 417 hours putting me on a road. NO RV should have a counter weighted crank. Especially if you fly formation. Good luck

NO RV should have a counter weighted crank. Especially if you fly formation.

Technically, no flat motor RV has a counterweighted crank, despite the common usage of the term.

I assume the formation objection is based on the possibility of pendulum de-tuning, i.e. pendulum bushing and/or pin damage. Note they are sensitive to rapid RPM changes, but not mere power changes.

In terms of broken cranks, cracked props, accessory drive vibratory issues, etc, the pendulum crank is generally much better; the whole purpose is to reduce torsional vibration amplitude.

My ECI connecting rods were affected by an AD. I spoke with JD at ECI, and he said that the old company would not pay any money towards new rods, and the new ECI isn?t offering any deals on it either. Welcome to aviation.

Bad publicity--

and bad customer service is a killer. Doesnt matter how much $$$ the holding company has, if products arent being sold, no profit is made, and oops, they are out of business.
( I have my own story about them--)

Tom

Back