What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

South Pasadena

RV6_flyer

Well Known Member
Benefactor
Looking for friendly airport to tiedown, get a rental car for a trip to South Pasadena, Florida that will last several days. Looks like Albert Whitted (KSPG) is the closest airport. Clearwater (KCWL) has 90-cent per gallon lower fuel and will be a longer drive. My flight plan shows that I will need 21-gallons of fuel when I land so $18.90 fuel price difference is something but not sure if is worth the price for a longer drive.

The other options are two people fly commercial or drive from Pennsylvania. To me that sounds like two days driving and a night in a hotel to get there times two for the return trip, $800 commercial airfare plus rental car, or less than 6-hours one way in the RV with less than $480 AvGas plus rental car.

Just thinking out loud. With an 86.5-year old passenger, the RV is doable but getting in and out is difficult plus quick restroom breaks will not be quick.

Gary,

I'm based at KCLW, but if you're going to South Pasadena, KSPG is a much better option. You're only a short drive to South Pasadena. KSPG has a self serve now for $4.60, which is better than KCLW. I'm not sure whether Sheltair will waive the ramp fee on the SS. Plus, KSPG is a beautiful airport with great approaches over the bay.

Many more places near the airport for dining too.

+1 with Dan

I am also based at KCLW, but I agree with Dan, KSPG will be so much more convenient for you, plus, the drive from the South end of Pinellas County to the North end is really nasty, traffic-wise.

You will tend to take more sight-seeing flights if the airplane is parked closer.

(my pennies' worth)

Hope you have a great visit, and, if you are out for some sight-seeing, stop by KCLW and visit "RV ALLEY".

Ron

Back