What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New (March 1, 2016) Garmin aera 660 Portable GPS

Steve,

Would you be able to answer the questions in my post e.g.

"Is there a document anywhere which lists the various file formats which can be stored on the SD card and which the 660 auto detects and does specific things with?"

I can't find them on the internet.

Many thanks.

Peter

Hello Peter,

There is no document other than the Pilot Guide.

Thanks,
Steve

Hello,

We are constantly working to source new map and chart data from various sources around the world,.........

Steve

Steve.
Reassuring to know you are working on this.
Recently Australia's Airservices have released their maps/charts online free.

Does this allow Garmin to look into providing charts/maps for Australian users?

Thanks.
John

Steve.
Reassuring to know you are working on this.
Recently Australia's Airservices have released their maps/charts online free.

Does this allow Garmin to look into providing charts/maps for Australian users?

Thanks.
John

Hello John,

We certainly haven't forgotten Australia!

It is great that Australia is providing their charts free online, but if you read the fine print you will see that commercial entities are not allowed to use this data.

The requirements for a company like Garmin to use this data is quite involved, but we hope to eventually get through this process and receive approval to do so.

Thanks,
Steve

QUESTION FOR GARMIN

I know I asked this question much earlier without any response.

When I look at weather(winds) on the Aera 660 the wind barbs are VERY tiny.
Is there any way to enlarge them?
Even when I zoom in on the screen their size does not change.
Also, sometimes they are partially covered by other graphics on the screen.

thanks.

Last edited:

thanks.

Add me to this request to.;)

AERA 660 Improvement Request

Me three Steve. :D

And here's a request for the Aera 660 update/improvement list.

Would it be possible to have the "dedicated page icons" that are located vertically on the right side of the screen in landscape mode or horizontally along the bottom of the screen in portrait to autohide? Say after 5 seconds or a user defined time?

Then with a simple touch of the "title bar" at the top of the page (or anywhere on the screen) it would reappear.

This would INCREASE the map size by about 1/2". Seems like a simple task but I'm not programmer.

Just something to add to the Aera 660 "improvement list".

It's an awesome device already and I love it.

Last edited:

thanks.

Hello Jeff,

There is not a way to adjust the size of wind barbs, but we will consider implementing improvements to improve readability.

dP9zmd-NjHEfUANKPI7hXGpSdharCOZxny9XtRyYYC1OHxHBcEdUHgUatYHIymJWBfnHjitDN-9G0cp72zo580ednXNtXkNUICv6nLPu1Bb4u9fHUok60tR4KjlaF3ipCuKXmbnP7B09FwkuY-Deh02b-zaYx7MTgx9nqMYmNABftrVNdNwG3AZJKNyV4ur3fIvLhZQRsrtXik3fxHjq6QrajlHg17t8Gn2XliIH89OFoVBSeBpKUqMwE8RWQa1cojKTn-D4O96n95AMrqCJaEvDnXgNxXq81tHjiDdDOfVkahvSUT_WI22qA8mMBSrlosSP7g6ph5jv2NXtELwCxS64-t8IP8ezeBNkNkgUHsfMKXFk9YUVV1EwV7HMzHbXcScTk-6nnDDsfGruMudnHqRLy1EfiTWO1K1PTJKTl08An5XRC0uvQsPnb5xjsU39SDNU3sANZyMPYNFdAOT2z9c0WcokPXWZwrD8ccewZW8BS2d_uEmpzwXjGx8MCuUjdG_CDFzyJE5Mxo1Zy6eY0CmU0Icgk-3ODF0BfEaE02Bw_Psy5oOwQa-zUkNOCSGqHvvv0ZaDiOrsTA-F-MJCaU7w4ephT3YYSMRS3A3JSMN6iU9RxIUo=w548-h885-no

Thanks,
Steve

Those wind barbs are numerous and larger than what I am seeing.

My Aera 660 is mounted horizontally, and I am only seeing wind barbs at stations that are reporting weather.
(less than a dozen wind barbs in Michigan)

I use the unit in my aircraft exclusively, and have GDL393D as an input.

I must not have something selected properly in my menu's?

Any ideas?

Those wind barbs are numerous and larger than what I am seeing.

My Aera 660 is mounted horizontally, and I am only seeing wind barbs at stations that are reporting weather.
(less than a dozen wind barbs in Michigan)

I use the unit in my aircraft exclusively, and have GDL393D as an input.

I must not have something selected properly in my menu's?

Any ideas?

Hello Jeff,

This is SXM weather from a GDL 52R. You are comparing this to FIS-B, which has very sparse reporting points of winds aloft.

The wind barbs are drawn the same way for either weather source, but there are just a lot fewer of them provided by FIS-B weather. As indicated above, we will consider implementing improvements to improve readability.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
OK that's sounds like a decent explanation.

So for those of us with just FIS-B, can you make our barbs larger and more readable? They appear about 1/2 the size of the SXM barbs, and are sometimes partially covered by other graphics.

Me three Steve. :D

And here's a request for the Aera 660 update/improvement list.

Would it be possible to have the "dedicated page icons" that are located vertically on the right side of the screen in landscape mode or horizontally along the bottom of the screen in portrait to autohide? Say after 5 seconds or a user defined time?

Then with a simple touch of the "title bar" at the top of the page (or anywhere on the screen) it would reappear.

This would INCREASE the map size by about 1/2". Seems like a simple task but I'm not programmer.

Just something to add to the Aera 660 "improvement list".

It's an awesome device already and I love it.

At me to this request to. This would be very cool. :D

Where can I land my hands on a GDL 52 portable?
And how much integration will it have with the 660. If the connext works as well with the 52 as it does with the ipad/pilot, it's going to be a great little non-ifr set-up.

m

Where can I land my hands on a GDL 52 portable?
And how much integration will it have with the 660. If the connext works as well with the 52 as it does with the ipad/pilot, it's going to be a great little non-ifr set-up.

m

Hello Michael,

The GDL 51/51R/52R are shipping now, but the GDL 52 doesn't ship until later this year.

Please see this thread for more information.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=151535

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks Steve...

Another question...

I fly around the Canadian US Border and I've noticed I can't keep both the Canadian and US VFR charts loaded in the unit at the same time, am I missing a setting or something..

M

Thanks Steve...

Another question...

I fly around the Canadian US Border and I've noticed I can't keep both the Canadian and US VFR charts loaded in the unit at the same time, am I missing a setting or something..

M

Hello Michael,

The Aera 660 holds one set of IFR/VFR Charts at a time, and since the U.S. and Canadian charts are separate sets, you must load one or the other.

The Navigation Data, Obstacles, FliteCharts, and SafeTaxi databases in your North America Database Bundle cover both the U.S. and Canada, so you are covered with those databases regardless of which country you are flying in.

Thanks,
Steve

Here in Victoria, BC, we are significantly south of the 49th, and most of my flights end up going through US airspace. So while I elected to keep the Canadian data, it would be a great improvement if we could have both.

Given the population is the most dense in Canada close to the US borders, I would expect that a significant portion of Canadian pilots would frequently want to reference the US data.

Here in Victoria, BC, we are significantly south of the 49th, and most of my flights end up going through US airspace. So while I elected to keep the Canadian data, it would be a great improvement if we could have both.

Given the population is the most dense in Canada close to the US borders, I would expect that a significant portion of Canadian pilots would frequently want to reference the US data.

it would be great, if somehow, both could be loaded. Great trips from Vancouver go straight down the coast of USA.

Hi Steve,
a few things:

1. Arrgh. Ive been updating the database using the flygarmin beta for mac, but the IFR/VFR database keeps getting corrupt. Im going to try it on a PC machine. I've tried a number of times.

2. I had a cockpit "incident" over the weekend and my radios are fried. So, now is my chance to be smart and get ready for ADS B in a simple way. Im in canada so it will be a slow process. But here are my thoughts as I replace the radio:

a) GTR 225 (i read it can talk to the 660 and populate stand by frequencies, how do I get it to talk to the 660?)

b) I'm going to add a GDL 52 for ADS-B and SiriusXM weather-in. We can get the XM weather in Canada using a US account.

c) Before 2020 there may be other options open, but I could perhaps buy a GDL 82 for GPS/ADS-B out.

Would this set-up all talk to the 660? Or is throwing in a GTX 335/345 transponder the only real option i have.

Michael

Hi Steve,
a few things:
Michael

Hello Michael,

1. Arrgh. Ive been updating the database using the flygarmin beta for mac, but the IFR/VFR database keeps getting corrupt. Im going to try it on a PC machine. I've tried a number of times.

Have you tried using WiFi to download databases and software? I haven't used anything but WiFi for the last year and never have any problems.

2. I had a cockpit "incident" over the weekend and my radios are fried. So, now is my chance to be smart and get ready for ADS B in a simple way. Im in canada so it will be a slow process. But here are my thoughts as I replace the radio:

a) GTR 225 (i read it can talk to the 660 and populate stand by frequencies, how do I get it to talk to the 660?)

b) I'm going to add a GDL 52 for ADS-B and SiriusXM weather-in. We can get the XM weather in Canada using a US account.

c) Before 2020 there may be other options open, but I could perhaps buy a GDL 82 for GPS/ADS-B out.

Would this set-up all talk to the 660? Or is throwing in a GTX 335/345 transponder the only real option i have.

Yes, the GTR 225 will receive frequencies from the Aera 660. Look on page 145 of the Rev. B Aera 660 Pilot Guide for information on wiring and configuring the output to provide this data to several models of VHF radios.

If you are equipping an EAB aircraft, we also recommend you consider the GTR 200 COM radio which integrates nicely with the Aera 660.

The GDL 52/52R is an excellent choice for ADS-B traffic/weather and SXM weather/music. If you want ADS-B traffic and SXM weather/music, this is the best option for the Aera 660.

Thanks,
Steve

Hello Michael,

Have you tried using WiFi to download databases and software? I haven't used anything but WiFi for the last year and never have any problems.

Yes, the GTR 225 will receive frequencies from the Aera 660. Look on page 145 of the Rev. B Aera 660 Pilot Guide for information on wiring and configuring the output to provide this data to several models of VHF radios.

If you are equipping an EAB aircraft, we also recommend you consider the GTR 200 COM radio which integrates nicely with the Aera 660.

The GDL 52/52R is an excellent choice for ADS-B traffic/weather and SXM weather/music. If you want ADS-B traffic and SXM weather/music, this is the best option for the Aera 660.

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,
I have a lowly 172M in Canada, not EAB, so I think i have to have the 225 installed and certified or something by an AME (in Canada that's certified (Aircraft Maintenance Engineer) or authorized by Garmin shop or along those lines.

I guess to be compliant in 2020, I can simply pop in the GDL 82.

Question, why is the GDL 52 Portable not available in Canada until December, but I can order in through the US (just saying). And the GDL 52R is available currently. I might order the portable to a border town. Also, i know of someone that is having issues with the GDL51 in Canada with the XM weather. And I saw this post, here: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=152769, so, i'll be sure to sign up with a US account.

Any other suggestions, i'm open.

The direct download worked only after I had connected the unit to the computer to update it, for some reason. I am up to date for another 3 weeks!

Thanks again, Steve, fantastic support here!

m

Last edited:
Hi Steve,
a few things:

Michael

Hi Michael,

As Steve pointed out the GTR200 (if you can use it) and the Aera 660 pair nicely with each other. That's what I have in my plane and I LOVE it. It makes things a lot easier with them talking to each other.

The 225 you mention has a built in database and that is yet another device you'll have to update, Arrgh for you MAC users. :D The GTR-200 utilizes the database in the Aera 660 so I only have to update the 660 via wifi and it shares that data with the GTR-200. Easy Peasy.

The wiring is very easy with the manual. I installed the GTR-200 in just a few hours by myself and that included all new intercom cables for my headsets. The built in intercom in the GTR-200 is also AWESOME. I was able to pull my PM3000 out.

As for ADS-B, I'm using the GDL-39 3D for traffic and weather IN (dont need XM) and will be adding the GDL-82 later this year when it's available for ADS-B OUT to comply with our 2020 mandate. My home airport is inside the Tampa Mode C veil so I have no choice. Plus seeing "all the traffic" is better than using the GDL-39 by itself.

Shawn

Last edited:
A couple disappointments

Hello Michael,

The Aera 660 holds one set of IFR/VFR Charts at a time, and since the U.S. and Canadian charts are separate sets, you must load one or the other.

The Navigation Data, Obstacles, FliteCharts, and SafeTaxi databases in your North America Database Bundle cover both the U.S. and Canada, so you are covered with those databases regardless of which country you are flying in.

Thanks,
Steve

I tried out my new Garmin 660 and had a couple disappointments comparing with my trusty Garmin 496. As others have said with the 660 you have to choose between Canada or the US. I live in Victoria BC so that is a real inconvienence! At my home airport we are constantly transiting US airspace so this isn't great! With my 496, for years I had all the info US and Canada together in one download. In recent years 496 users have to choose between continental US or Canada including the Northern 2 or 3 US States (Washington and Oregon on the west coast). Why wouldn't Garmin do this with the 660? I would expect that Garmin would put enough memory in the 660 to again include US and Canada in one download; or at a minimum have the Northern most US states included with Canada as my 496 does.

Lastly while taxing I noticed that there is no Safetaxi while in Canada. I have Safetaxi selected and the US airports Safetaxi details appear but nothing at CYYJ or CYVR... again something that works on my 496. Did I misunderstand Steve that that feature should work everywhere, all the time, not only when Canada Charts are selected?

It would be great if Garmin could rectify these issues with a software update. As others have said this current set up isn't great for a lot of users who live on the Canada/US border. The 660 could be an even nicer, more useful GPS if Garmin updated the software

Jeremy

Last edited:
While taxing I noticed that there is no Safetaxi while in Canada. I have Safetaxi selected and the US airports Safetaxi details appear but nothing at CYYJ or CYVR... again something that works on my 496. Did I misunderstand Steve that that feature should work everywhere, all the time, not only when Canada Charts are selected?
Jeremy

Hello Jeremy,

It sounds like your unit doesn't have a SafeTaxi database that includes Canadian airports. Are you perhaps just using the databases loaded into the Aera 660 at the factory and drawing a conclusion that Canadian SafeTaxi is not supported based on that?

You can view loaded databases by selecting Tools, Database Information.

Using an Aera 660 with the Americas SafeTaxi database installed, we verified that SafeTaxi diagrams are indeed provided for the two airports you list above.

As explained in this posting, the North American Database Bundle includes the Americas SafeTaxi database which includes SafeTaxi diagrams for supported airports in the U.S., Canada, and Brazil.

Please contact us by email or phone shown below if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Jeremy, I can confirm that Safetaxi works in Canada, and specifically at CYYJ. Note that if you are on the "Charts" mode it will not automatically switch to the Safetaxi chart on touchdown... You have to switch to the "Maps" mode to see it. If it's really not there, chances are your specific bundle hasn't included it for some reason.

Steve, maybe another feature request for the Charts mode could be to include the Safetaxi info as an overlay, or to turn it on when landed or speed below a certain threshold?

ive been using the 660 for a bit now.
1. I use it in conjunction with an ipad, because sometimes i have to make changes to my flight plan on the go and i haven't figured out if the screen is able to do it on the fly, so to speak.
2. The screen on the 660 is way brighter and useful and readable than the ipad
3. Safe taxi is cool, it works in the Vancouver area.
4. Im sure future updates will have cool stuff in it too.

But, I guess my question is what is the best way to change an active flight plan on the fly?

m

But, I guess my question is what is the best way to change an active flight plan on the fly?
You can edit the active flight plan, or you can go to the flight plan list, create a new flight plan (or copy the current one to a new one), edit that, and then activate it. Even if you're part-way along the updated flight plan, the GPS will figure it out and it won't tell you to go back to the beginning and start over...

You can edit the active flight plan, or you can go to the flight plan list, create a new flight plan (or copy the current one to a new one), edit that, and then activate it. Even if you're part-way along the updated flight plan, the GPS will figure it out and it won't tell you to go back to the beginning and start over...

I don't think there is a way to point and drag. I fly in the mountains pretty much exclusively, and to be able to quickly change a flight plan by drag and drop would be preferred to looking at electrical wires or other VFR waypoints (if they exist where we're flying). I have been doing it on the ipad then shooting it to the 660. As I said, the 660 has a great screen that is crystal clear and bright in all conditions.

Aera 660 V3.10

Good morning,

Just a heads up that Aera 660 V3.10 software may be installed today over WiFi or Webupdater.

The primary reason for the update is for our users in Australia, Asia, and Western Alaska. There is a new satellite that was turned on with visibility in that part of the world which requires us to update the GPS receiver firmware in the Aera 660, so you will see a pop-up that GPS firmware is being updated after installing this software. The affected operation area is shown in this Service Alert.

An interesting new feature, for admittedly a small, but vocal group of users, is the new Time Over Target (TOT) data field. If you are flying lead for a group that is scheduled to make a stadium or other fly-over appearance at an assigned time, you may enable display of the TOT field and adjust your speed to keep the TOT time equal to your assigned time. The TOT field works off the active waypoint, so you can either do a Direct-To your target location, or put that location in a flight plan so it becomes active after takeoff. Unlike the ETA field, the TOT field has seconds resolution to make your timing more accurate.

5iU5dStqwZ19Y__0PMdLLHV6abru32RdE36aHoNztuZBo4WJlbySLadr7-SLOF7uNdIkjLT5fOaJuymEE14zdvjBALI4Qy5Zrh7UHWd9lRSX1EGKH8wQk-1lVpvxFZI0ofpPOhJzYxz9FGNpdQzxPjwitbTrM4ql6lRlebiG06GybZtX48YvXjqAdtsSR_V7S_6qs6jUo3Dih39ye3WNQj2O7rJPUzr9W1L2JW7HXzC2Vv2Bmie70I1CTxkxjVk2cqg6485dzmzQcK9d2rrZ75S2vVDVxm_WNT7prWrSQyWAuvz4ZXxFN2O3mxFAM8FC-UQGD1r-lYsqhS-OvtRX4MNYtQ4HwtWH0bZX8IBcjnx6ZrJpwzfiuj-P9wQ2QSrnSpbZWD0euQClGb0eBarVqLCAfl0cKkOhIstRTs192bBBxmterOlXc-bl9VEJhyD0580N1IwFtHmdaMi04-tDw41tyEMsj3egl938oThGhCkbHRvDW_bdlKM2HlK0tZ-XGtBeVf9iZu4X4CLHRLrDz5HkzjP9T81KiEBafXExZ6yji-FcFwLl2K9_AaTJSXgLnqqyfzVMBQUkpXRMPJn6No9IRitJZ0g_6pNvyxc7vw=w467-h754-no

Changes made from version 3.00 to 3.10:
  • Add Time Over Target (TOT) data field
  • Add ability to the airport review page to pre-select chart for the active approach
  • Add ability for graphical flight plan editing when navigation is not active
  • Add message to indicate when SD card format is incompatible
  • Change map symbol for visual reporting points
  • General improvements to system operation
  • Includes update to GDL 5X software version 2.07
  • Includes update to GPS software version 3.10
  • Includes GDL 39 software version 4.80

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Panel Mount Wiring

How would you go about connecting the bare wire panel mount audio to a 3.5mm audio jack.
I know somewhere I have read that there is impedance issues.
I do not have an audio panel but want to feed straight into my Bose headset.
Thanks in Advance

3D Vision

Steve,

Concerning to 3D vision is it possible to use the bug indicator and send a NMEA output steer command to a connected autopilot?

Would be a great feature to set a course from 3D vision page.

Best regards and thanks
gFlyer

Aera 660

I think I was one of those motor mouthed ?vocal users? that kept bugging Steve about a TOT window. Thanks for that- a really nice feature.

For Peter in Australia- I have the audio line from the 660 wired into my Garmin GTR 200. The GTR 200 comm has a built in intercom so I get all the audio capabilities of the 660 in my headset. Probably doesn?t answer your question directly but I think if you & Steve discuss it there might be a way to go direct to the headset.

Yobo- are you jealous yet?

Waypoint transition

The gpsmap496 allows in Route Setup to establish parameters for Waypont Transition. This allows a coupled autopilot to smoothly transition to the next leg, starting at a user-defined distance before a waypont.

I was unable to find this desirable feature in the aera660. Does it exist? If not, is it coming?

Claude

Good morning,

Just a heads up that Aera 660 V3.10 software may be installed today over WiFi or Webupdater.

The primary reason for the update is for our users in Australia, Asia, and Western Alaska. There is a new satellite that was turned on with visibility in that part of the world which requires us to update the GPS receiver firmware in the Aera 660, so you will see a pop-up that GPS firmware is being updated after installing this software.

An interesting new feature, for admittedly a small, but vocal group of users, is the new Time Over Target (TOT) data field. If you are flying lead for a group that is scheduled to make a stadium or other fly-over appearance at an assigned time, you may enable display of the TOT field and adjust your speed to keep the TOT time equal to your assigned time. The TOT field works off the active waypoint, so you can either do a Direct-To your target location, or put that location in a flight plan so it becomes active after takeoff. Unlike the ETA field, the TOT field has seconds resolution to make your timing more accurate.

5iU5dStqwZ19Y__0PMdLLHV6abru32RdE36aHoNztuZBo4WJlbySLadr7-SLOF7uNdIkjLT5fOaJuymEE14zdvjBALI4Qy5Zrh7UHWd9lRSX1EGKH8wQk-1lVpvxFZI0ofpPOhJzYxz9FGNpdQzxPjwitbTrM4ql6lRlebiG06GybZtX48YvXjqAdtsSR_V7S_6qs6jUo3Dih39ye3WNQj2O7rJPUzr9W1L2JW7HXzC2Vv2Bmie70I1CTxkxjVk2cqg6485dzmzQcK9d2rrZ75S2vVDVxm_WNT7prWrSQyWAuvz4ZXxFN2O3mxFAM8FC-UQGD1r-lYsqhS-OvtRX4MNYtQ4HwtWH0bZX8IBcjnx6ZrJpwzfiuj-P9wQ2QSrnSpbZWD0euQClGb0eBarVqLCAfl0cKkOhIstRTs192bBBxmterOlXc-bl9VEJhyD0580N1IwFtHmdaMi04-tDw41tyEMsj3egl938oThGhCkbHRvDW_bdlKM2HlK0tZ-XGtBeVf9iZu4X4CLHRLrDz5HkzjP9T81KiEBafXExZ6yji-FcFwLl2K9_AaTJSXgLnqqyfzVMBQUkpXRMPJn6No9IRitJZ0g_6pNvyxc7vw=w467-h754-no

Changes made from version 3.00 to 3.10:
  • Add Time Over Target (TOT) data field
  • Add ability to the airport review page to pre-select chart for the active approach
  • Add ability for graphical flight plan editing when navigation is not active
  • Add message to indicate when SD card format is incompatible
  • Change map symbol for visual reporting points
  • General improvements to system operation
  • Includes update to GDL 5X software version 2.07
  • Includes update to GPS software version 3.10
  • Includes GDL 39 software version 4.80

Thanks,
Steve

The 660 keeps getting better with each software release. The graphical Flight Plan editing is great. THANK YOU.

Can i connect my D2 BRAVO to the 660?

Does anyone know if the bug indicator in the 3D vision page can be used to send a steer command through the NMEA output to a connected autopilot?

Thanks for the help.

Regards
gFlyer

Received this email from Garmin. Love this type of customer service.

Please see the below link to view and/or download the document for information on Service Alert 1761 GPS Position Accuracy

Service Alert 1761: GPS Position Accuracy
NOVEMBER 9, 2017
PRODUCTS AFFECTED:
Garmin aera 660 products with main software 3.09 and earlier and D2 Bravo with GPS software versions 3.09 (and earlier) are affected.
To check D2 Bravo GPS software version go to the About page (Settings->System->About) and scroll down to display the GPS software.
To check aera 660 main software version:
1. From the Main Menu, touch Tools > Downloads.
2. Touch Menu > Software Downloads.
ISSUE:
In some situations, a GPS position error of up to 20km may occur.
PILOT ACTION:
If a GPS position error is observed in flight, power off the device and power on again. Once on the ground connect the device to a wifi signal and download the latest unit software. For instructions on loading the latest software refer to the Garmin aera 660 Pilot?s Guide (190-02017-20) and/or the D2 Owner?s manual (190-01674-00). Both manuals can be found on www.garmin.com.
RESOLUTION:
This issue has been fixed in D2 Bravo GPS software version 3.10 and aera 660 GPS software version 3.10.
NOTE
Garmin aera 660 GPS software version 3.10 is contained in aera 660 main software version 3.10.
Service Alert 1761A

If you have any questions, please contact your Garmin Dealer.

Received this email from Garmin. Love this type of customer service.
[
ISSUE:
In some situations, a GPS position error of up to 20km may occur.

That's kind of scary.... Do we know what situations, and is it definitely just the D2B and Aera 660 affected?

What's really great is that Steve (g3xpert) told us about the 3.10 update on the 20th of October... Many of us have been running it for a couple of weeks already. :)

"Steve" from Garmin, another example of great customer service. I unfortunately missed Steve's post and didn't update until today. I like getting the emails. Glad Garmin has this service.

That's kind of scary.... Do we know what situations, and is it definitely just the D2B and Aera 660 affected?

Apparently I flew around for a couple weeks on the old software. I never once experienced the phenomenon described in the bulletin. I use a GNS 430 W for GPS Nav and the 660 as a backup.

Apparently I flew around for a couple weeks on the old software. I never once experienced the phenomenon described in the bulletin. I use a GNS 430 W for GPS Nav and the 660 as a backup.

Hello Charlie,

As mentioned in my posting, unless you flew around in Australia, Asia, or Western Alaska where this new satellite is visible, you could not be affected.

It has never been important for anyone operating in North America, South America, Africa, or Europe to receive this new GPS software, but of course we distributed it to everyone with the V3.10 update just in case.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Atis

Hi Steve. I have a 660. For some reason Atis does not show in the available list of frequencys for many airports that I know have an existing Atis frequency. I use the touch feature to load into my comm radio. Is there something I need to adjust or change? Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi Steve. I have a 660. For some reason Atis does not show in the available list of frequencys for many airports that I know have an existing Atis frequency. I use the touch feature to load into my comm radio. Is there something I need to adjust or change? Thanks.

Hello Al,

It could be just a limitation of the available frequency data that is incorporated into the navigation database, but if you could contact us by phone or email shown below and provide some specifics about which software and database you are using and which airports are perhaps missing these frequencies, we are happy to investigate.

Thanks,
Steve

GDL39 at the same time as a GDL51

I have a Garmin 660 and a GDL39 ADSB receiver. If I want to add XM weather can I use and add a GDL51 at the same time as the GDL 39? The GDL52 includes both of the antennas in one but WOW its double the price of the GPS!

I have a Garmin 660 and a GDL39 ADSB receiver. If I want to add XM weather can I use and add a GDL51 at the same time as the GDL 39? The GDL52 includes both of the antennas in one but WOW its double the price of the GPS!

Hello Jeremy,

Yes, you may connect both a GDL 39 and GDL 51 to the Aera 660 using both serial ports (preferred) or one serial port and a Bluetooth connection.

Just a thought. You might also consider selling you GDL 39 and obtaining a GDL 52 or GDL 52R so you can have traffic, 2 kinds of weather, attitude data, and music control on one serial port.

Thanks,
Steve

Back