What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nasty Noises

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
A friend of mine had been chasing an annoying drumming sound, somewhat related to engine rpm for some time. He found the tailcone floor sections just behind the baggage bulkhead was the culprit, each side was oilcanning - badly, he riveted on an angle piece down the center on the outside and stopped it. I happened to recall that when today I was being miserable back there, and happened to touch the panel - bad oilcanning! Now I am going to do the same thing to stiffen it up. Something you might want to check out.

You might want to be careful with that. I remember reading accounts (here) of people who put similar stiffeners in various RV models, and ended up with cracked skins. I have a couple of spots where I'm planning to try some strips of Dynamat to damp vibration (cue the warnings about flammability).

More homework needed.

This post is too general to be actionable. I have a 7 and one of the aft lower fuse areas between bulkheads would oil can considerable just taking the tail load off. Alex Peterson first had a picture and solution - search for his posts with a key word.

This does happen, but one should research carefully to determine what modifications may be appropriate. Longitudinal stiffeners are likely to crack at the ends without gussets. I used stiffeners placed laterally.

Last edited:
I am all eyes and ears for solutions, my first idea was to pro seal a piece between the two bulkheads - inside. By riveting on an angle that is attached to both bulkheads, running from baggage bulkhead to the next rearward, I cannot visualize any cracking when it is attached that way.
Comments welcome!.

Back