What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9A Longerons

RVdreamin

Gotta brag about the Buller Industries Die I used to bend the longerons. I read quite a bit on the different methods, but I purchased the die and practice on some angle I got from the Home Depot (Aviation section). It cost $15.00, but it was worth it. The test angle turned out well and gave me confidence to try it on the longerons which also turned out well. I would highly recommend this product.

Thanks for posting

Jimmy,
Thanks for posting your experience. I think I'll be coming up on this task at the end of 2017. I definetly will be asking for some dies at that time; sems like a winning solution to a big hammer and the Armstrong method.

I will be doing this soon. Just purchased a used set of Buller dies. Is there any tips you could share about using the dies? Thanks, Phil

Take it easy!

The dies work great. Just take it easy. Squeeze a little in the vice move an inch squeeze a little again. A little squeezing goes a long way. Have your pattern and keep checking. It is easy to go back and add a little more bend than it is to take it out. Also boelube works great. The dies made a very easy job of it. It actually took a lot less bending than I thought it would. Followed the pattern then put in the twist and when it was time to put everything together it lined up almost perfect. :D

Sorry for the late response, but yes go slow. A little pressure on the vice goes a long way. I would also recommend going to Home Depot or Lowes and purchase a 4' or 6' foot section of 1/8" angle to experiment with first. I purchased a 4' section and was able to match the drawing with that piece first, so it gave me some confidence when working on the actual longeron. Before you start you are to make a mark every inch on the aluminum and turn the vice at every one inch mark. Find a way to mark the point where you stop the vice handle and go to that same point for each one inch mark on the aluminum angle. A little turn of the vice makes a big difference. I am estimating, but I would guess it was about an additional 1/4" turn (Not quarter turn of handle) every time I ran the angle through the vice to get a little more bend. I ran my longeron through the vice about 6 times before I got the longeron just right. Also, I used a little grease on the angle to help it slide through the die. The instructions that come with the die are very good. I am a rookie at this whole thing and I was sweating bending the longerons. If I could talk to myself two weeks ago I would of said you are worrying about this way to much :)

Tape

As mentioned, first pass should be maybe 1/4 turn. Depends on the vice. Less is best.
I ran a strip of electrical tape along both flanges in contact with the dies. Mark the longeron in 1" increments. Lube the tabe with thin coat of grease and proceed.
Second pass gets closer then later passes fine tune.

Second Take it Easy

Yes, by all means take it easy. Start with very little pressure on the vice, you'll be amazed how effective a light touch is.

Back